Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major connection problems

Options
  • 19-05-2014 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Hello,

I was wondering if any of you could help me with a serious broadband issue that I’ve been having lately;
    My connection seems to be completely dropping at random. There doesn’t appear to be any noticeable slowdown or congestion which would suggest any problem, the whole connection seems drops suddenly. 

My average “uptime” cannot be more than 20-30 minutes, before I lose all connection, and have to reset the router
    The only thing I have to go off is this error message that’s displayed on the browser:

“No DSL connection
    Your router has not established a DSL connection to your local exchange. The DSL light on the router will blink while it is trying to connect, and stay on if it connects successfully.
    Click here to recheck the connection status. 
    If the router still cannot connect, please contact eircom technical support on 1890 260260 for technical assistance.”

I’ve been a Home Plus customer for a year or two, and as far as I’m aware our line is receiving 3MB broadband,  I know  it’s a weak connection (we live in a rural area) but I honestly can’t remember the situation being as bad as it is now. 

The worst thing about the current situation isn’t so much the quality of the connection, it’s the fact that it’s wildly inconsistent. On some days, I can comfortably stream video, download, and play online, while other days, simply opening a Wikipedia page will cause a DSL outage. 
    I phoned Eircom about the issue last week, and they conducted a test on the line, they said that there was a line fault and that an engineer was being sent to investigate. 

The engineer arrived, and individually checked a number of cables on the way in to our local exchange (which is less than a mile away) Whatever he did, it appeared to fix the problem, if only for a short while. Within 24 hour the connection was just as unstable as it normally is.
    Thinking back on it, I’m not sure if what he fixed had any effect on our connection, I think it was more luck that the connection worked for as long as it did, and we assumed it was because the line was fixed.

The current situation, as of writing is just as bad, if not worse, than it was before the engineer came out.

As you can imagine, I’m not really sure what to do next. I’ve done my best to try and fix the problem myself, even looking into tutorials about port forwarding and configuring NAT settings, to no avail.  

When the connection goes down, this is what I typically see in the router settings;

Router.

Model Name: eircom D1000 Modem
    Serial Number:  S *14 digit code*
    MAC Address: EC:43:F6:C7:3B:D4
    Firmware Version: 2.00(AADU.2)D0
    DSL Version: FwVer:3.20.32.0_A_TC3087HwVer:T14.F7_11.2
    System Uptime:  0 day: 0 hour: 32 minutes
    Current Date/Time: Sun May 18 22:26:39 UTC 2014
    System Mode: Routing / Bridging
    CPU Usage: 01%
    Memory Usage: 46%
    broadband: Disconnected
    DSL Mode : Down
    Speed: 0/0
    Line Attenuation(Down/Up): 0 dB/ 0 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 0 dB/ 0 dB
    WAN IP Address: 0.0.0.0
    IP Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
    Default Gateway: N/A

’m not sure how much of this is relevant, but I thought it was worth mentioning, as I have very little information about what’s happening, other than the error message.  I know this is a long post, but I really want to get shut of this problem, especially before the summer.

Any and all assistance would be much appreciated, and I’m willing to enclose my account number via PM if asked.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Alactric wrote: »
    Hello,

I was wondering if any of you could help me with a serious broadband issue that I’ve been having lately;
    My connection seems to be completely dropping at random. There doesn’t appear to be any noticeable slowdown or congestion which would suggest any problem, the whole connection seems drops suddenly. 

My average “uptime” cannot be more than 20-30 minutes, before I lose all connection, and have to reset the router
    The only thing I have to go off is this error message that’s displayed on the browser:

“No DSL connection
    Your router has not established a DSL connection to your local exchange. The DSL light on the router will blink while it is trying to connect, and stay on if it connects successfully.
    Click here to recheck the connection status. 
    If the router still cannot connect, please contact eircom technical support on 1890 260260 for technical assistance.”

I’ve been a Home Plus customer for a year or two, and as far as I’m aware our line is receiving 3MB broadband,  I know  it’s a weak connection (we live in a rural area) but I honestly can’t remember the situation being as bad as it is now. 

The worst thing about the current situation isn’t so much the quality of the connection, it’s the fact that it’s wildly inconsistent. On some days, I can comfortably stream video, download, and play online, while other days, simply opening a Wikipedia page will cause a DSL outage. 
    I phoned Eircom about the issue last week, and they conducted a test on the line, they said that there was a line fault and that an engineer was being sent to investigate. 

The engineer arrived, and individually checked a number of cables on the way in to our local exchange (which is less than a mile away) Whatever he did, it appeared to fix the problem, if only for a short while. Within 24 hour the connection was just as unstable as it normally is.
    Thinking back on it, I’m not sure if what he fixed had any effect on our connection, I think it was more luck that the connection worked for as long as it did, and we assumed it was because the line was fixed.

The current situation, as of writing is just as bad, if not worse, than it was before the engineer came out.

As you can imagine, I’m not really sure what to do next. I’ve done my best to try and fix the problem myself, even looking into tutorials about port forwarding and configuring NAT settings, to no avail.  

When the connection goes down, this is what I typically see in the router settings;

Router.

Model Name: eircom D1000 Modem
    Serial Number:  S *14 digit code*
    MAC Address: EC:43:F6:C7:3B:D4
    Firmware Version: 2.00(AADU.2)D0
    DSL Version: FwVer:3.20.32.0_A_TC3087HwVer:T14.F7_11.2
    System Uptime:  0 day: 0 hour: 32 minutes
    Current Date/Time: Sun May 18 22:26:39 UTC 2014
    System Mode: Routing / Bridging
    CPU Usage: 01%
    Memory Usage: 46%
    broadband: Disconnected
    DSL Mode : Down
    Speed: 0/0
    Line Attenuation(Down/Up): 0 dB/ 0 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 0 dB/ 0 dB
    WAN IP Address: 0.0.0.0
    IP Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
    Default Gateway: N/A

’m not sure how much of this is relevant, but I thought it was worth mentioning, as I have very little information about what’s happening, other than the error message.  I know this is a long post, but I really want to get shut of this problem, especially before the summer.

Any and all assistance would be much appreciated, and I’m willing to enclose my account number via PM if asked.
    Hi Alactric

I'm sorry to hear this, there must be someting creting this issue so if you would like to PM me your landline number I'll look in to this for you.

Thanks
    Al

Advertisement