Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Part Time Masters, getting work to pay options..

• 19-05-2014 1:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭

I'm have accepted an offer to do a part time masters in Smurfit next year, and I'm in the middle of talking to work about getting some kind of support for doing it..

I chatted to friends who have done part time courses before, and would I be correct in thinking these are the options? Anything missing, or comments?
    • Employer pays for entire course, but locks employee into “if you leave in x years, you pay us back everything".
    • Company pay for the course, and candidate pays them back in 6 or 12 monthly installments [before tax, so works for everyone].
    • Employer pays zero, candidate pays everything, but employer gives 2 to 3 days study leave before all exams etc.
    • Employer pays 25%-50%, and gives 1 day study leave for exams
    • Employer pays ZERO, and gives ZERO study leave, but if you get a distinction/first class hons at end of the course you get entire cost back.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'm have accepted an offer to do a part time masters in Smurfit next year, and I'm in the middle of talking to work about getting some kind of support for doing it..

I chatted to friends who have done part time courses before, and would I be correct in thinking these are the options? Anything missing, or comments?
    • Employer pays for entire course, but locks employee into “if you leave in x years, you pay us back everything".
    • Company pay for the course, and candidate pays them back in 6 or 12 monthly installments [before tax, so works for everyone].
    • Employer pays zero, candidate pays everything, but employer gives 2 to 3 days study leave before all exams etc.
    • Employer pays ZERO, and gives ZERO study leave, but if you get a distinction/first class hons at end of the course you get entire cost back.

You'd have to pay them back out of your net not gross salary surely?

There is also the option that they pay zero full stop, and you fund it yourself, or they pay the entire cost without penalty if you leave.

I'm doing a masters part time at the moment and get no contribution from my employer at all, nor will I when it's completed and it is directly related to my role :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

My one is funded as work pay and if I leave there a sliding scale of how much I've to pay back per year. 1 year, all. 2 years, half. 3 none

I also get 1.5 study days per exam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Out of interested my work selected "Company pay for the course, and candidate pays them back in 6 or 12 monthly installments" - which makes my life easier..

Advertisement