Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smurfit Classes

Options
  • 19-05-2014 2:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone know if all Smurfit classes are held in Blackrock or are some classes in Belfield too?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

Some may be held in Belfield, but it doesn't happen that often.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

I don't believe they're scheduled to be there, it may arise that a lecturer needs to reschedule the venue due to timing issues (e.g. back to back classes) so switched to Belfield.

Certainly, it never happened during my time there but that's only one course so others may have different experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I've known a few people who've taken Smurfit courses and haven't heard any being scheduled or moved to UCD, but then again, it's only a very small sample.

On a perhaps somewhat unrelated topic: if you're planning on using the library a lot, then bear in mind that the UCD main library opening hours are much better than the Smurfit library, especially at the weekend, so if you're thinking about looking for accommodation, it might be worth finding somewhere between UCD and the Blackrock campus, as you'll be reliant on the somewhat unreliable 17, unless you cycle or drive (and then there's parking to take into consideration).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭changepartners

Thanks for the responses.

I was so focused on getting the course that I never really thought about the practicalities! Is parking at Blackrock a similar situation to Belfield?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

From my experience, yes, it is as bad as the main campus, but I've not been there for about 2 years, so it may have changed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Thanks for the responses.

I was so focused on getting the course that I never really thought about the practicalities! Is parking at Blackrock a similar situation to Belfield?

Parking is free in Blackrock and I think the only day I ever found it difficult to get a space was on the day the GAMSAT exam was on in the exam hall there.

I also had no classes in UCD, all were in Blackrock.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭ucdperson

danthefan wrote: »
    I also had no classes in UCD, all were in Blackrock.

All your classes were in UCD, Blackrock is as much part of UCD as Belfield.

Classes are generally in Blackrock, but some programmes have input from other schools and some of these classes might be elsewhere.

This summer there is some construction work in Blackrock and some of the summer semester classes are going to be held in Belfield as a consequence.

Another question... do people tend to dress up more in Smurfit or is it the same college scene?

Another question... do people tend to dress up more in Smurfit or is it the same college scene?

Mixed in my experience due to mix of full and part time students.

I believe one course required business dress (Marketing Practice I think) but otherwise you would only see full business dress if people had presentations or interviews. Most full time students wore jeans and tshirt or similiar casual attire.

Part time (evening) students would generally come straight from work so would be trousers and shirt or suits.

Thanks, I'm doing a full time after working for a few years, wasn't sure if it was going to be pseudo office attire. The information for students actually specifies that there is no dress code.

• Advertisement

Thanks, I'm doing a full time after working for a few years, wasn't sure if it was going to be pseudo office attire. The information for students actually specifies that there is no dress code.

Yeah, we were only ever asked to wear business dress when giving graded presentations.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

There was one course in particular (not sure what it was) that people tended to wear business attire but in general people just wore whatever they liked, I worse jeans and a hoodie every day anyway. As above, dressed up for a presentation, that was it.

Advertisement