Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

W7 VPN Server Help!!!

Options
  • 19-05-2014 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hey all, so I would appreciate some help on the below issue.

I want to set up an old PC (W7 Pro) as a VPN server using the built in functionally. It’s for a small office and we keep everything in the cloud. The VPN is just for a secure connection whenever someone has their laptop on a public network, etc. The PC would only be lying around anyway.

I got the steps to follow off the internet however our setup has some differences that have me puzzled.

For whatever reason our IT company that did the install has both our UPC router and the dedicated firewall to issue local IPs (DHCP on for both machines).

The VPN setup guide says that you need to forward port 1723 to the specific PC. Since the UPC router can’t see behind the firewall do I only need to forward the port on the firewall or do I forward the port on the UPC router to the firewall and from the firewall to the PC?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 CSBJ

Also on a side note, are there any disadvantage / advantage to having both devices set to issuing local IPs? I would have thought the UPC router should be set to be a modem only and let the firewall handle DHCP.

I don’t know if it makes any difference but the way the network is setup has the signal going from the UPC router to both a router-access point (set to issue local IPs as well) used as a visitor Wi/Fi and to the firewall mentioned above.

Thanks in advance :)

Advertisement