Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pollardstown Fen

• 19-05-2014 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

Hi

Anyone know the location of the bird hide in Pollardstown Fen, if you want to message me that would be great. have been out there but could not locate it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's on the southern section.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Hondo75

Thats what the it says on line , but directions from car park. must be well hidden:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bonedigger

Hondo75 wrote: »
    Hi

Anyone know the location of the bird hide in Pollardstown Fen, if you want to message me that would be great. have been out there but could not locate it.

I live close to Pollardstown Fen and it's one of my usual haunts,but have not seen a hide there in years.Many moons ago,there was a hide not far from the entrance to the reserve,but it fell into disrepair and was taken down.There's a nice boardwalk there now and a seating platform about halfway around the walk,but it's very difficult to see any birdlife from this platform.If you had a good pair of waders you may be able to walk out close to where the action is(although probably not a great idea at this time of year with nesting birds).PM me if you need any more help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It is many years since I was there. Shame to hear the hide is gone. It's more hides we need, not less. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭olly_mac

It's years since I too was down that way. I spent many a happy hour in the hide. Sad to hear it's gone. I saw my first hen harrier there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bonedigger

olly_mac wrote: »
    It's years since I too was down that way. I spent many a happy hour in the hide. Sad to hear it's gone. I saw my first hen harrier there.

Despite the fact that I live on it's doorstep,I've not seen a Hen Harrier in Pollardstown Fen yet.There was a hoopoe spotted there early last year and I missed that too.Something unusual tends to pop up there every once in a while.I vaguely remember someone telling me that a Montagu's Harrier paid a brief visit to the fen many years ago too.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭olly_mac

I will always remember that morning :) It was a freezing cold February Saturday, and this female hen harrier just swooped across my field of vision. I had to look up all the bird books with me to confirm what it was.

I think my obsession with raptors started that day :D

Advertisement