Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Van Gaal New United Manager

• 19-05-2014 3:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭

Deserves a thread of its own.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27243233
    Louis van Gaal has been named as Manchester United manager, with Ryan Giggs as his assistant.

Van Gaal, 62, has signed a three-year contract to succeed David Moyes.

The Dutchman, who has won titles with Ajax, Barcelona, Bayern Munich and AZ Alkmaar, will take charge at Old Trafford after leading the Netherlands at this summer's World Cup in Brazil.

“I have managed in games at Old Trafford before and know what an incredible arena Old Trafford is and how passionate and knowledgeable the fans are”

Louis van Gaal

"This club has big ambitions. I too have big ambitions," he said. "Together I'm sure we will make history."

He added: "It was always a wish for me to work in the Premier League.

"To work as a manager for Manchester United, the biggest club in the world, makes me very proud.

"I have managed in games at Old Trafford before and know what an incredible arena Old Trafford is and how passionate and knowledgeable the fans are."

After ending the reign of Moyes in April after a troubled 10 months, United executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward is convinced he has appointed the right man this time.

"His track record of success in winning leagues and cups across Europe throughout his career makes him the perfect choice," said Woodward.

"In Louis van Gaal, we have secured the services of one of the outstanding managers in the game today.

"Old Trafford provides him with a fitting stage on which to write new chapters in the Manchester United story. "

It seems Van Gaal has wasted no time in making his intentions clear.

"Louis has already communicated some great ideas for how the club can move forward," said United co-chairman Avie Glazer.

"The board is right behind him in his plans and everyone here is already looking forward to the start of next season."
    Will he be a success or not?

Will Van Gaal Be A Success At United? 195 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 195 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭upstairs for coffee

Only time will tell...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Deserves a thread of its own.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27243233

Will he be a success or not?

How do you define success for him and Man Utd. What would you expect at the end of the 1st season, 2nd season etc ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

This is not good news for the rest of us but, as I said in the Utd thread, I think we are all looking forward to seeing Van Gaal headbutt Geoff Shreeves into a bloody pulp during a post match interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭secman

Wow.......... never saw that coming........

Seriously hope he will be successful, my only concern is that he doesn't just confine himself to a quick fix as in....... a lot of the named targets for signing thus far are 30+ ! Hopefully he will get a nice blend of youth and experience and get the best out of the squad. Was speaking to my Bro the other day. an avid fan too....... I just mentioned to him that i could never envisage SAF or L Van HaL RUNNING DOWN THE STREET away from photographers and journo's..remember the shots of Moyes doing it............should have known there and then.

Here's to a successful transfer window........ after the last 2 non events !

Secman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

greendom wrote: »
    How do you define success for him and Man Utd. What would you expect at the end of the 1st season, 2nd season etc ?

This.

I don't see him winning the league in the next two years, but I'd imagine they'll take their CL place back off Pool next year and retain it the following year, with maybe a cup success one of those years. Does that count as a success?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

He's not going to be as successful as Fergie, no. And I can't see him winning the Premiership in the next 3 years. But he'll get United challenging again. And he'll be entertaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

At a bare minimum for Van Gaal to keep his job, I'd say United fans will expect Champions League qualification.

A reasonable expectation would be for United to finish in the top 2/3 and at least mount some kind of title challenge.

If he can win the league, I think he will be exceeding expectations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

It's hard to judge.

He's not exactly the "successful wherever he goes" people seem to think he is.

Failure to qualify for 2002 World Cup, sacked in January at his second spell at Barcelona leaving them 3 points above the relegation zone and sacked in April of his second season at Bayern Munich where they ended up finishing third.

He's had success too, of course. With his determination that his teams play in a certain way and in his way, it might all depend on winning the players over to his system and wanting to make it work.

Should be interesting at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Does anyone know if and where i could find his transfer history. Today probably isnt the best day to look for it as google is just yeilding stories of his appointment and nothing else. Im interested to look at the signings he has made throughout his career

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

He's a terrible manager. Moyes was a far better choice. There is no way we'll sign that Kroos fella and win the league next year. Not a chance of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

How long until the "Are Man Utd and Van Haal done?" thread ;)

Clearly the minimum is to first get the squad sorted as without that they ain't going anywhere and get them playing decent footie. Top 4 finish next season is probably not something he needs to achieve to keep his job but clearly the pressure to do so will be huge regardless.

It'll be interesting to see how long it takes before he has to go full on "Van Haal", someone is going to get their ass kicked - will it be Giggs?

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

He'll guide them back into the Champions League replacing Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Nuri Sahin wrote: »

That's a possibility. I'd like to see the purchases both sides make this Summer before making such a prediction though. And how the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea Everton and Spurs get on in the close season too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Arsenal have a great squad barring a striker and they should get one, possibly Cavani, this summer

I think it'll be United and Liverpool playing for that 4th spot next season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭redarmy

glued wrote: »
    He's a terrible manager. Moyes was a far better choice. There is no way we'll sign that Kroos fella and win the league next year. Not a chance of it.

Hope ur right:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Paddy_R wrote: »
    He's not going to be as successful as Fergie, no. And I can't see him winning the Premiership in the next 3 years. But he'll get United challenging again. And he'll be entertaining.

No offence to LVG, but I really don't think he has 27 years left in management on his side. No real shame in him not being as successful as Fergie.

Wouldn't rule out him winning the league either, despite the competition. He's a born winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Pretty sure I have heard this been said the last....... 7 years.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

That's a possibility. I'd like to see the purchases both sides make this Summer before making such a prediction though. And how the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea Everton and Spurs get on in the close season too.

Oh me too, but a lot of people have been making it out it's pretty much a certainty that Liverpool will drop out of the top 4 no bother, like it's already a done deal, so I might as well join in in the silliness :)

Serious opinion, is that they'll be back in the CL and win a cup within the next couple of years. Who might they replace? Who knows.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Pretty sure I have heard this been said the last....... 7 years.
    It usually refers to the Tottenham manager though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Very difficult job ahead given the expectation level and changes that need to be made in the squad. But he'll have money and he has some excellent players at his disposal. Ultimately this is an appropriate appointment, the kind of hire they should have made last season as opposed to Ferguson's folly.

I hope he performs at the bottom reaches of his expectation of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Placing Arsenal at anything other than 4th is a bit silly :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Will Fergie still be hanging about the place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Doesn't matter, Van Gaal won't be bothered. He's been around the block a few times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Doesn't matter, Van Gaal won't be bothered. He's been around the block a few times.

Van Gaal is more likely to whip his knob out and windmill Fergie after every goal, than to be intimidated or put out by him being there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,981 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think he will do well initially but, as is always the case with him, he will fall out with people over time and things will start to fall apart a bit and then he'll be gone.

He is certainly going to steady the ship and I expect to see them back in the top four. I think there will be a lot of money spent this summer, I don't think he would have taken the job without guarantees on spending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

I voted no on the basis that his time at United will not be deemed to be a success but whoever follows him will likely reap the rewards of the foundations he establishes.

I think there is a big transition at United in progress and it will take time for a new team to reach the heights United fans are accustomed to.

Of course I'm most likely wrong about all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭upstairs for coffee

No. I think they will do slightly better than this season.

Giggs as assistant manager? Come on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Success as in he'll have them back challenging for a Champions League place but you'll never see the kind of dominance they enjoyed under Ferguson again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Success as in he'll have them back challenging for a Champions League place but you'll never see the kind of dominance they enjoyed under Ferguson again.

He's obviously not going to be there long enough to do that but who is to say he can't win a few leagues and cups over the course of his tenure? We don't even know how United will be lining up next season yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

This wouldnt be an issue to the general public if the TV cameras didnt pan to him 10 times a game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

It'll be interesting to see how it pans out that's for sure...let's see what kinda names he can get in this summer... Personally I see no major signings coming in for United so he might have a tall order on his hands come September. Should do better than Moyes did anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

I hope his tenure is like his second time at Barca.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

It'll be interesting to see how it pans out that's for sure...let's see what kinda names he can get in this summer... Personally I see no major signings coming in for United so he might have a tall order on his hands come September. Should do better than Moyes did anyway.

There will be major signings for United this Summer IMO.

The question is how many.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

Blatter wrote: »
    The question is how many.

And who and how they'll fit in with his system.

It'll also be interesting to see which high profile players he falls out with. My bet is on Mata and Rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

This.

I don't see him winning the league in the next two years, but I'd imagine they'll take their CL place back off Pool next year and retain it the following year, with maybe a cup success one of those years. Does that count as a success?

Really?

The team that finished in second place will lose their champions league place?

Not the team that finished third or fourth?

The team that finished second.

• Advertisement

Here we go again.

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Really?

#liverpoolineuropehavenotgotthesquadtofinishtop4lazymindednarrative

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Really?

Sounds eerily like united fans last season when predictions of their demise were made

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I love the confidence in united fans that they will take the CL spot from Liverpool next season. The team that finished 2nd why not the team that finished 3rd or 4th?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Really?

You're as likely as anyone else. The team in third will spend massively, as they do. The team in fourth has a tendency to finish fourth. Not saying you'll lose the spot, I don't think you will, but it hardly deserves indignation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Really?

Realistically I think Liverpool would be the ones if no signings are made however they will strengthen as will all of the top 6 bar maybe Everton. In that case it will be a close run thing between Citeh and Chelsea wit Liverpool, United, arsenal and possibly Spurs fighting for spots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I'm surprised he picked Giggs as his number two. Shows how comfortable he is with a possible future Utd manager sitting with him. I wouldn't put him down as a guy who would pander to the fans, nor do I think fans would be upset if Giggs wasn't involved in the new setup. Anyway, great choice and at least this time United have given themselves the best chance of success.

I think he'll be a success and both club and manager are a good fit for each other. I'd like to wish him every success but I would be lying. Great appointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Because the other 3 are top 4 established and Liverpool finished 7th, 8th, 7th and 6th respectively in the seasons before last

This reaction from Liverpool fans is growing tiresome, the weak link in the top 4 as it stands is Liverpool so people are going to single them out when talking about United potentially getting back in.

Disagree with it if you want but this "how dare you say we won't finish top 4" after 1 good season is fecking hilarious

Nah, if you disagree with Mike you're lazy minded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭carraig2

"United is the biggest club in the world"?
    Serious ass-kissing there.

Arsenal are the team most likely to be in trouble - players made of paper mache

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Because the other 3 are top 4 established and Liverpool finished 7th, 8th, 7th and 6th respectively in the seasons before last

This reaction from Liverpool fans is growing tiresome, the weak link in the top 4 as it stands is Liverpool so people are going to single them out when talking about United potentially getting back in.

Disagree with it if you want but this "how dare you say we won't finish top 4" after 1 good season is fecking hilarious

I don't think Utd fans have grasped how long the road back to the top might be.

Aside from an excellent keeper, as it stands, United have a very ordinary defence. Midfield is a disaster as it stands. The attacking options are quite good.

Overtaking Everton and Spurs will be a challenge in itself never mind the current top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Next year it will probably be ManCity/Chelsea and then 2 from Liverpool/Arsenal/Spurs/Everton/Utd. Its going to be tight at the top. To suggest any one from that second group will not qualify for the CL wouldn't be a crazy statement.

I would see why people may question LFCs ability to regain their position over Arsenal/Chelsea/ManCity especially with europe etc. But thats a debate for another thread no doubt.

VanGaal makes Utd instantly better IMO, thats without any signings.

mike65 wrote: »
    Arsenal are the team most likely to be in trouble - players made of paper mache

And yet time and time again, CL qualification. Do people not learn :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement