Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Van Gaal New United Manager

Comments

I predict him to fail spectacularly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Liverpool is the obvious target for aspiring top 4 teams.

if anyone can't see that, they're blind tbh.

City and Chelsea are pretty immovable, and Arsenal have 17 straight seasons behind them.

it's up to us to prove people wrong who think we're the target, but it's quite natural for teams to assume that we might be the most vulnerable. that's not insulting. that's just using the last 5 years of data and common sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Last time Liverpool finished second, they came 7th the following season so yeah..not totally out of the realms of possibilities it could happen again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Last time Liverpool finished second, they came 7th the following season so yeah..

Last time Utd finished 7th, they finished 15th the following season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

rob316 wrote: »
    I love the confidence in united fans that they will take the CL spot from Liverpool next season. The team that finished 2nd why not the team that finished 3rd or 4th?

Who said this now???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fescue wrote: »
    Last time Utd finished 7th, they finished 15th the following season.

Ah now, we can only dream of that. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Liverpool are 3rd favourites for next season's Premier League with Paddy Power.

Utd are 4th, with Arsenal 5th.

even the bookies don't learn with Arsenal!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Just looking at all his stats on BBC sport. He is all or nothing. United will be hoping for the former.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Giggs as assistant manager is a mistake in my view, Van Gaal should've brought in his own backroom team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

SlickRic wrote: »

In fairness i think arsenal are the least likely of the three to win the league, but also the most likely of the three to get top four. Though I do think theres a chance they could miss out. Only Chelsea and City are safe bets for top four next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

SlickRic wrote: »

What did the bookies get wrong.

Giggs as assistant makes perfect sense. Theres clearly a belief that giggs could be a potential utd manager. Lvg rarely spends more than a few years at a club so he could well do three years at united and move on leaving giggs to take charge if they feel hes ready. I dont get the impression lvg is in it for the long haul. Thats not an attempted criticism, he just seems to like going somewhere winning a couple trophies and moving on to the next challenge a la mourinho.

MR NINE wrote: »
    Giggs as assistant makes perfect sense. Theres clearly a belief that giggs could be a potential utd manager. Lvg rarely spends more than a few years at a club so he could well do three years at united and move on leaving giggs to take charge if they feel hes ready. I dont get the impression lvg is in it for the long haul. Thats not an attempted criticism, he just seems to like going somewhere winning a couple trophies and moving on to the next challenge a la mourinho.

2-3 years is the norm for Van Gaal at a club.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    2-3 years is the norm for Van Gaal at a club.

I know yeah, thats my point. I was gonna say "he always does 3 years at a club and moves on" but someone was inevitably gonna point out ajax so i saved them the hassle!

Probably his last shot at a big club, if it's going well and both parties are happy, I see no reason why he can't stay 5 or 6 years.
    He didn't finish up with his other clubs when the 3 year alarm bell went off.

• Advertisement

Probably his last shot at a big club, if it's going well and both parties are happy, I see no reason why he can't stay 5 or 6 years.

Of course he could stay longer. Im just reading into the appointment of Giggs as assistant, and speculating it could be with a view to rearing him for the job. Whether or not its a good idea is a different story but I get the impression United pride themselves on not chopping and changing managers, and would like someone to take the helm for a long time. LVG doesn't strike me as someone whos gonna spend 10 years plus at a club, and hiring Giggs now would be an outrageous risk, so perhaps they've reach an arrangement that suits all parties. United get an excellent, experienced manager, LVG gets one last shot at a big club, and Giggs gets to learn from one of the best managers in the business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I dont give 2 shiny shytes about who we take the 4th CL spot from once we take it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Yeah Liverpool would be the most likely to slip out of the top 4 next season alright...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭secman

I dont give 2 shiny shytes about who we take the 4th CL spot from once we take it.

I don't think LVG will set his sights low, personally think he will instill the title as a target for the squad. He thinks big, just whst ee nerd now.

secman

secman wrote: »
    I don't think LVG will set his sights low, personally think he will instill the title as a target for the squad. He thinks big, just whst ee nerd now.

secman

Come on buddy, I don't see a team who finished 7th challenging for the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Assuming Chelsea sign a top striker, then I would say Chelsea and City should be a lock for top 4.

After that I wouldn't necessarily say Liverpool are more likely to drop out than Arsenal, as Liverpool are a team on the up, with quite a few players who you expect to kick on next season, whereas Arsenal have been running it close a few years now.

IF van Gaal is a success, then it will maybe be the first time we have all 5 giants competing. Arsenal have never had to deal with that before so have always squeezed in 4th ahead of a pretender.

At the moment City is the only one we can be sure of, but I'm sure Chelsea's big money will change that sentence come September 1st.

Will van Gaal be a success? He has a lot of pressure taken off due to Moyes' horrible season. RVP will be key to United's success and he seems to get good stuff out of him. He's got a big task on his hands though.

How would United fans feel if they miss out on 4th but improve their points tally by 10 points after a similar net spend to Moyes (about 50-60m if I'm correct?). I wouldn't rule this out being the case for next year, but not really sure whether to put yes or no in the poll for such a situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

He kind of did though. In the last 17 years, only once has he stayed beyond 3 seasons at a job.

Barca, 3 seasons.
    Holland, 2 years.
    Barca, 1 season.
    Alkmaar, 4 seasons (the exception).
    Bayern, 2 seasons.
    Holland, 2 years.

Obviously he was manager at Ajax longer than this, but he was also a much much younger man then, and I think his pattern over the past 17 years is probably more accurate.

I suspect the plan is for him to come in, put systems in place, get an emphasis on youth again, and then hand over to Giggs.

Even when he's hounded out of a job, he tends to leave clubs in good shape - though what I would be interested to see is if he starts well as his systems are adopted, then falls out with people over time and leaves - would Giggs still be the choice?

Where did Liverpool finish last season?

Liverpool finished 7th in 2012/13, so, eh, yeah.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

He has a great CV , think he will do well at Utd

Jesus lads...

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    He kind of did though. In the last 17 years

He didn't leave because 3 years had passed, there were reasons for his departures other than a timeline.

I think United would afford him a little more time than some of the clubs he has been at should things take a dip at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

:pac:

It was pretty clear... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

All this talk of who will finish in the top 4 next season is a bit premature. You have to wait until the summers transfer dealing are done.

Like if Liverpool didn't strengthen their squad, in my opinion they wont get top 4. If Arsenal don't get a top striker instead of Giroud they will struggle. Best thing Arsenal have going for them is they have a cracking midfield.

I wont be making any bets in the bookies until I see all them signings towards the start of the season.

• Advertisement

There's plenty of genuinely stupid people around here, it can be hard not to take some things at face value :pac:

He didn't leave because 3 years had passed, there were reasons for his departures other than a timeline.

I think United would afford him a little more time than some of the clubs he has been at should things take a dip at some stage.

And here's us thinking he just left bang on 3 years :rolleyes:

Sweet jesus!!

And here's us thinking he just left bang on 3 years :rolleyes:

Sweet jesus!!

Yeah, great input as usual.

Yeah, great input as usual.

In fairness, everyone knew he didn't just get up and leave on the day his 3 years was up!

In fairness, everyone knew he didn't just get up and leave on the day his 3 years was up!

That's all I was saying, people are thinking he will be likely to only stay for 3 years because he did at other jobs, I was being a bit facetious with the 3 year alarm clock comment but whatever...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

He ll be a great success.
    At the press conferences.

To be honest, i think he's the kind of guy who inspires with his attitude and charisma for a certain period of time, before bigger ego's start to get restless under his approach. This was largely the reason for his departure at his two biggest clubs, Barca and Bayern. I think at a big club, with big ego's, his approach has a shelf life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

To be honest, i think he's the kind of guy who inspires with his attitude and charisma for a certain period of time, before bigger ego's start to get restless under his approach. This was largely the reason for his departure at his two biggest clubs, Barca and Bayern. I think at a big club, with big ego's, his approach has a shelf life.

There isn't many big egos at United now anyways, might last longer :pac:

Maybe, maybe not.
    I just wouldn't rush in and say anything like that with any confidence. Clean slate, it could be the place that suits him.
    Unlike Bayern and Barca, I'm sure he will be left to do his own thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Tbh, I'd say the interference from board room level at Bayern and Barca was just as much reason for him leaving as player unrest. He won't get that at United, not at Bayern/Barca level anyway.

It's also well known that he's mellowed significantly with age, so using everything that happened in the past as a good indicator as to what will happen in the future is a bit flawed imo.

That's all I was saying, people are thinking he will be likely to only stay for 3 years because he did at other jobs, I was being a bit facetious with the 3 year alarm clock comment but whatever...

People are just judging on what they seen before, no big deal.

The day's of managers staying in jobs for a sustained period are few and far between.

Rodgers is the 4th longest current serving PL manager @ 2 years. Ridiculous.

Wenger - 18 years
    Pardew - 4 years
    Big Sam - 3 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

He's not going to indulge the senior stars like Fergie would, and wont accept poor attitude or performances like Moyes did. I think we could see a bit of a clear-out, with only the hungriest players remaining. Dont expect Carrick, Evra, Fletcher, Fellaini etc to feature much at all, and Rooney will really have to double-down.

I think the younger guys like De Gea, Rafael, Smalling, Welbeck and Januzaj will flourish, and it could be a second chance for Kagawa to establish himself. The checkbook will undoubtedly be out too, but I dont think we'll see many marquee signings of the Mata type.

Blatter wrote: »
    Tbh, I'd say the interference from board room level at Bayern and Barca was just as much reason for him leaving as player unrest. He won't get that at United, not at Bayern/Barca level anyway.

It's also well known that he's mellowed significantly with age, so using everything that happened in the past as a good indicator as to what will happen in the future is a bit flawed imo.

Of course, but y'know, it's fun :)

I think he's a good appointment for United, but personally I'm relieved ye didn't get Klopp.

The checkbook will undoubtedly be out too, but I dont think we'll see many marquee signings of the Mata type.
    Agree here, i think he'll go with more of a focus on elite younger signings than established guys over 24 or 25. Guy's he can build, who aren't already stars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Lennonist wrote: »
    Giggs as assistant manager is a mistake in my view, Van Gaal should've brought in his own backroom team.

He is taking Marcel Bout (scouting opponents) and Frans Hoek (GK trainer) with him from the Dutch national team set up with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

inforfun wrote: »
    He is taking Marcel Bout (scouting opponents) and Frans Hoek (GK trainer) with him from the Dutch national team set up with him.

Van Gaal might use him for a while to have eyes and ears while he settles in maybe, could be a case of better having him on the inside pissing out rather than on the outside pissing in.
    Still I think Man United should break with their recent past. Giggs as Assistant manager isn't exactly doing that, that'd my view on it.

• Advertisement

There's plenty of genuinely stupid people around here, it can be hard not to take some things at face value :pac:
    Hey!! At least my username is grammatically correct. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Van Gaal will undoubtedly have United competitive again but I hope he doesn't garner headlines for the wrong reasons like Mourinho's gobshítery. Guys got a big personality.

Hey!! At least my username is grammatically correct. :pac:

Mine was too when I submitted it for my name change, I was told I couldn't have the apostrophe :(
    Even though many have gotten it before and since, caught someone on a bad day...

Amn't is a legitimate word.

Is there a book on which Utd player he falls out with first? He's famous for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Is there a book on which Utd player he falls out with first? He's famous for it.

Don't know why I'm biting but it'll be Rooney.

• Advertisement
Advertisement