Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Van Gaal New United Manager

13»

Comments

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Don't know why I'm biting but it'll be Rooney.

It's not supposed to be bait! It's well known he's fallen out with loads of players over the years.

RvP will have everyone warned I'd say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

rarnes1 wrote: »
    It's not supposed to be bait! It's well known he's fallen out with loads of players over the years.

RvP will have everyone warned I'd say!

I'm just wondering why a Liverpool fan is so bothered?

Schwiiing wrote: »
    I'm just wondering why a Liverpool fan is so bothered?

On commenting on the biggest football story of the day?

It'd be a boring place if we just commented on our own team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Rooney vs Van Gaal could be very entertaining stuff. I'll be surprised if they don't clash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Van Gaal a very good appointment but I am bit sceptical of whether Giggs deserves assistant manager role,
    Giggs needs longer to bed into a management role and as assistant manager it may well happen that himself and Van Gaal clash on team choices etc,reckon a coaching role would have been wiser spot for him for first while anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Rooney vs Van Gaal could be very entertaining stuff. I'll be surprised if they don't clash.

I think everyone will clash with LVG, lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is there a book on which Utd player he falls out with first? He's famous for it.

It'll be Giggs probably. Rooney will be off to PSG to replace Cavani ;)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Reading a piece on Van Gaal by the journal and this caught my attention
    United’s fans will appreciate Van Gaal’s commitment to attacking football, although his attachment to the 4-3-3 formation may cause unease in a changing room with only fleeting experience of the system.

While not wholly inflexible on a tactical level, Van Gaal told Voetbal International in 2010: “I always look for players capable of adapting to my 4-3-3.

“It’s for the player to adapt to my system, and not the other way round.”

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/profile-van-gaal-1472934-May2014/

Surely will have to change with United, they don't have the players for a 4-3-3. Would be a problem with Mata/Rooney/Kagawa

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Poll needs a third option: Ï have absolutely no idea, come back to me in six months.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

Its the first time iv been really excited about a new utd manager

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Its the first time iv been really excited about a new utd manager

Funnily enough, he's probably the most high profile manager that United have ever appointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

Funnily enough, he's probably the most high profile manager that United have ever appointed.

Agreed. And not a soft touch. I blamed moyes and the players 50-50 and im hoping van gaal sorts a few of them out now. The players seem to have got away a bit lightly imo

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

Giggs is being kept on to be an emissary to the players. Can't see him having much impact into the team if Van Gaal's reputation is anything to go by.

Right now I'm cautiously excited. He has a proven track record and should be able to sort out some of the under-performing players by making them shape up or ship out. Serious rebuilding is required and he seems to be the best man available right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    He'll guide them back into the Champions League replacing Arsenal.

Barring another horrific bout of injuries next season I can see Arsenal challenging for the league (first time I actually believe that in a few years)

Top four will be tough to crack next year, I know who I would have as favorites to drop out obviously, but so much is dependent on the transfer window in terms of how both squads strengthen.

United will have a clear run at the league next season, no other distractions really. Failing to get back into the CL would be a disastor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Surely will have to change with United, they don't have the players for a 4-3-3. Would be a problem with Mata/Rooney/Kagawa
    Whats the point in accomodating players. I think it will be either RvP up front next season or else Rooney. I dont think it will work with both of them starting. That was Moyes downfall, he wasnt ruthless enough in his team selection last season. Van Gaal has the balls to make the big calls regarding team selections.

On Van Gaals apointment, I think its a good move considering the top managers like Klopp, Pep, Simeone & Ancellotti were unavailable. Very interesting summer ahead for the club.

I think we may see a bit of diamond or 4312 on the pre season tour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

On the top 4 subject if anybody is most likely to drop out it will be Liverpool. Captain fantastic is another year older and is getting on in age, and with the Champions Lge and maybe a decent cup run they could be looking at an extra 12 games in there calender. They will need to strenghten more than any top 4 club to deal with the extra fixtures imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Gringo180 wrote: »
    On the top 4 subject if anybody is most likely to drop out it will be Liverpool. Captain fantastic is another year older and is getting on in age, and with the Champions Lge and maybe a decent cup run they could be looking at an extra 12 games in there calender. They will need to strenghten more than any top 4 club to deal with the extra fixtures imo.

While true, the teams contending for top 4 equally need to improve and strengthen. Of the contenders, only Everton look worthwhile and their squad was enhanced by astute loan additions last year which may not be available next season. They need to start over next season.

Utd need significant investment to be in the running. The appointment of LVG is very much in the right direction. Much deadwood to be cleared. No CL football would hurt the pulling power and attraction of many other sides but Utd have made a key appointment and are a well known club - nay - global brand. They've got it right up front but in defence and midfield they need to overhaul.

Spurs I think will be the team who will struggle most. They need someone with real genius to turn them around. On paper they are a great side but do not gel and presently may not. Of all the sides in the mix I think they have the most to lose. Levy is also a hindrance.

• Advertisement

darced wrote: »
    Surely it will be odds on RVP,the dutch seem to always be falling out with each other.

I'd say it's a decent chance he could be captain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

At the moment he is trying out a 5-3-2 system for the Dutch national team as he doesnt have the players for 4-3-3. he does have them in attack bt that would leave midfiled and defence too exposed. Cant have that in the group they are in.

So he does adapt to the players he has to work with.
    darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Euro 96 has been a while.

They are best pals in the national team at the moment. Made RvP captain and all. Were seen together at Dutch matches when RvP was injured after Olympiakos.
    I'd say it's a decent chance he could be captain

Actually tried to find odds for Van Persie being appointed captain ... no bookie has it unfortunately.

inforfun wrote: »

Actually tried to find odds for Van Persie being appointed captain ... no bookie has it unfortunately.

Was looking last night myself! No joy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Van Gaal's 433 sounds more like a 4231 to me. He seems to like a number 10 in there with 2 hard workers behind him.

x
    ----x
    x----
    x
    x
    x
    ----x
    x----
    x
    x
    x

That is the rough diagram I can come up with on the phone of a stereotypical Van Gaal formation

Its all about the triangles baby!

I wouldn't mind seeing some experimentation with the formation. Moyes never strayed too far from 4-4-2 even when it clearly didn't suit players like Mata or Kagawa. A 4-3-3 could work if at least one top-class midfielder was signed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

I think his best chance of reclaiming the title will be in his first year, they've no distractions in Europe. I'm hoping for a very strong challenge from united this season with a rejuvenated team. I expect some success though nothing long term from him, RVP will be firing on all cylinders under Van Gaal.

European football can take its toll on any squad. I think it's a fair statement to suggest united could nick Liverpool's CL spot, particularly when you consider Liverpool's current depth of squad. If they buy well this Summer, maybe they'll have a good chance of retaining their competitive edge on all fronts. We'll have to wait and see, to suggest it's a ridiculous statement however, is a fairly ridiculous statement in itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Gringo180 wrote: »

It all depends on the transfer window and how each club strengthens .
    With Liverpool they are now shopping at the top level again . Champions league can attract the truly best players . So Liverpool could strengthen a lot in the summer .
    Arsenal really need to break out the cheque book too . They really need to buy one or two strikers . Giroud is decent but he isn't at arsenals level . ( bergkamp , Henry and Ian wright ) . Arsenal have always had a striker who could score shed loads . Right now they don't have that .
    So van gaal could look at both clubs as the weak link and hope to over take one of them . It really depends on how quick he makes changes and gets it to gel . With a new manager it can take a number of games for that to happen . Another thing would be fixture list . It will help if the first 8 games are easy on him and he doesn't get a baptism of fire .

Stolen from RedCafe. :D

lvgfyjt4.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Will anh of United's current players have a problem with van Gaal's reported strict no-nonsense attitude?

When you think that Ferguson had a similar approach you would expect it to work with this group, may be exactly what they need.

However, would there be any players that won't react well to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

It all depends on the transfer window and how each club strengthens .
    With Liverpool they are now shopping at the top level again . Champions league can attract the truly best players . So Liverpool could strengthen a lot in the summer .
    Arsenal really need to break out the cheque book too . They really need to buy one or two strikers . Giroud is decent but he isn't at arsenals level . ( bergkamp , Henry and Ian wright ) . Arsenal have always had a striker who could score shed loads . Right now they don't have that .
    So van gaal could look at both clubs as the weak link and hope to over take one of them . It really depends on how quick he makes changes and gets it to gel . With a new manager it can take a number of games for that to happen . Another thing would be fixture list . It will help if the first 8 games are easy on him and he doesn't get a baptism of fire .

That remains to be seen. They still have to show that they will pay top dollar in the transfer market and pay the wages that go along with the big names.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Tough first day for Rooney under Van Gaal

Bm-10qPCcAAJnnJ.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭SoulTrader

Some people seem to think that Van Gaal was shoehorned (or should that be cloghorned?) into taking Giggs on. But in his interview with FIFA last year, he said he always wants one coach who was at the club previously when he comes to a new club.

I also don't see the concerns about him staying only 3 years. He'll be 63 by the time the season starts, we can hardly expect him to stay 27 years like Ferguson. Ferguson was a one-off, managerial tenures of 3-4 years will be the new norm, as the Glazers look to line their pockets with lucrative Champions League money. And besides, clubs like Bayern and Barca tend to rotate managers pretty quickly also. 3 years is a fairly standard tenure at clubs like that.

I believe he will improve us, I have no doubt that. I am looking forward to a little bit of continental sophistication at the club as well. I think we'll get a Champions League spot - if Liverpool can progress from 7th to 2nd without the distraction of Europe, I'm pretty sure the champions of 12 months ago can leap from 7th to 4th without European distractions.

Lastly - didn't Van Gaal mentor Mourinho? And didn't Mourinho mentor Rodgers? So does that make Van Gaal Rodgers' grandfather? :P He's certainly old enough to be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

SoulTrader wrote: »
    Lastly - didn't Van Gaal mentor Mourinho? And didn't Mourinho mentor Rodgers? So does that make Van Gaal Rodgers' grandfather? :P He's certainly old enough to be!

To a small degree, but Mourinho was really mentored by Bobby Robson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    To a small degree, but Mourinho was really mentored by Bobby Robson.

Mourinho was Robson's translator. Van Gaal got him more involved in management as an assistant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

inforfun wrote: »
    Mourinho was Robson's translator. Van Gaal got him more involved in management as an assistant.

I believe Van Gaal gave him his first taste of management in the copa cataluyna tournament, in which the late Tito Vilanova scored the first goal against a Mourinho managed team.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Really wish he wasn't going to United!

Advertisement