Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desperate House Buys RTE One 9:40pm

Options
  • 19-05-2014 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/tv/programmes/desperatehousebuys.html
    Long queues, bidding wars and For Sale signs coming down within a week of popping up: Dublin's 2014 spring property season is gearing up to rival Celtic Tiger property fever. Demand for family homes is outstripping supply. Prices are rising.

But as Dublin's urban and suburban market roars ahead, country estate agents are slashing prices and moving into property management simply to survive. Amid unfinished ghost estates, rural properties still aren't selling. Many owners remain trapped in negative equity. Others have opted for insolvency. As Ireland emerges from the most savage recessions in living memory, the long-hoped for recovery in the housing market is turning into a classic urban-rural divide.

On the front line are the estate agents. In a new documentary, Desperate House Buys, they tell a tale of two Irelands. Dublin based agents Owen Reilly, Jana Keane and Brian Dempsey have front row seats on the rising capital market after years of steady decline. However, their rural counterparts, Clement Herron in Portlaoise and Mike Smith in Boyle, Roscommon, still struggle with legacy issues of over-supply and downward spiralling prices.

And just who are the people desperate to buy and sell? Claire and Ciaran from Drumcondra are trapped in a two bed terrace house with a second baby on the way. If they can't find an affordable city property they may have to move down the country. Rebecca and Mateo recently relocated home from abroad. They're renting at the moment and nervous of fiercely competitive city bidding wars. While in Portlaoise, Melanie and Eban find the Dublin commute for work hard on the pocket but they can't sell due to negative equity.

Desperate House Buys looks at whether the current rush to buy in some urban areas of Ireland signals short term panic or too long awaited gains and a balancing of record lows. Will Dublin naturally fare better in the property stakes because of its position as a European capital? Or because there's more work in the city and a finite space to build new homes? With rents on the rise and housing lists mounting, is the current bubble from Dublin to Cork and Galway a seasonal blip? And are the government failing to tackle the problem of lack of supply by not targeting potential sites for new builds?

A lot of it is speculation etc, but the below caught my eye! First of all, are they in negative equity or just cant afford what they want to buy? If they are in Drumcondra and they need to move quick, how about a 3 or 4 bed in another area of Dublin. Or divide one of the current bedrooms with a stud partition and create two box rooms short term if feasible. My mum grew up in a 3 bedroom house where she said some of the families on the road had 12 or more kids growing up in the 50's or 60's! how did they survive before? Talk about first world, neigh Irish problems!
    And just who are the people desperate to buy and sell? Claire and Ciaran from Drumcondra are trapped in a two bed terrace house with a second baby on the way. If they can't find an affordable city property they may have to move down the country.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Or divide one of the current bedrooms with a stud partition and create two box rooms short term if feasible.

I've seen the spare "bedroom" in houses in these areas. Bedroom is a stretch.
    My mum grew up in a 3 bedroom house where she said some of the families on the road had 12 or more kids growing up in the 50's or 60's! how did they survive before? Talk about first world, neigh Irish problems!

So the rest of Ireland should be lucky eh? I don't think it is unreasonable to want more space to bring up a family and I certainly wouldn't want to go backwards to the 50s and 60s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Thats the funniest press release I have read in a while. Its almost a life or death situation if they dont move. Im sure its not a case they cant find accommodation in Dublin. They dont want to live in certain areas or an apartment. You can buy massive houses on the NCR quite cheaply, but very few Irish want to live there.

I dont see how people think they are saving money, by moving to the middle of no where from Dublin. When their children will have to move out, to go to college in Dublin. They have to commute to Dublin everyday.

Why cant RTE look at how other cities address housing issues? Like NYC is building high rise apartments for middle income families in Manhattan. Or Micro apartments for single people. NYC is going up, but Dublin has to spread 20 miles west because Irish people have to have a garden. It amazes me how DCC doesnt make 3/4 bed apartments, for families a requirement of a development. There is tons of people who would live in apartments, but its rare to find anything bigger than a 2 bed in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

So the rest of Ireland should be lucky eh? I don't think it is unreasonable to want more space to bring up a family and I certainly wouldn't want to go backwards to the 50s and 60s.
    Of course I am not saying that, I am saying you would swear that each child has to have their own bedroom from infancy or the consequences down the road could be drastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

WE need more high rise buildings in dublin,
    maybe require 10 per cent of units to be 3 bed units,
    of a certain square foot size.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

WE need more high rise buildings in dublin,
    maybe require 10 per cent of units to be 3 bed units,
    of a certain square foot size.
    I flew in over north Dubin today, fly over it about once a month, I fail to see what the problem is, there is nothing but green field once you get anywhere near the airport or the west outside the m50 belt for the most part. I get that where the prices are going particularly crazy at the moment, there is virtually no land, D.2,4,6,14,16 etc, but I put forward a proposal the other day, get rid of the several golf courses in these prime areas and it would sort out demand for years...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The golf courses are useful lungs and habitats for the City, so they serve a purpose beyond getting middle aged men out of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

NO need to go near golf courses,
    There,s plenty of land around dublin to build on,
    the rules re building heights need to be revised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I flew in over north Dubin today, fly over it about once a month, I fail to see what the problem is, there is nothing but green field once you get anywhere near the airport or the west outside the m50 belt for the most part. I get that where the prices are going particularly crazy at the moment, there is virtually no land, D.2,4,6,14,16 etc, but I put forward a proposal the other day, get rid of the several golf courses in these prime areas and it would sort out demand for years...

You are not allowed to build near the airport. Its prime agricultural land. The yield on the land is incredible. A majority of our fruit and vegetable is grown in north county Dublin. The farms are highly profitable. Thousands are employed directly and indirectly. Why should we have to get rid of farms just because someone wants to have a garden?

What you are suggesting sorts out the problem for a few years and not for the future. In other cities you demolish the low rise buildings and replace them with high rise. In Brooklyn, low rise factories are being destroyed and replaced with high rise apartments. Thats sorting out a housing issue.

Germans, Italians, French, Americans etc all happily live in apartments. Why cant an Irish person live in an apartment? A garden isnt essential. Something like 95% of Dubliners are within 300 meters of a green area. Its not necessary to have a house with a garden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Idbatterim wrote: »

Need some decent transport in from North Dublin first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

mike65 wrote: »
    The golf courses are useful lungs and habitats for the City, so they serve a purpose beyond getting middle aged men out of the house.

No they don't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

I really find this **** hilarious. For ****'s sake. This time last year we were coming out of the 3rd recession in a row, we had 9 months to exit a bailout program, the CSO reported 90k emigrants, 120k mortgages in arrears, and the country remains in massive deficit while debt trends towards 150% of GDP , add a minor dead cat bounce and the same old **** again. Build Skyscrapers.

Lads. There can only be one bailout. Next time you are on your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

How much time have estate agents got so far?

How much time did the economist get?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

I really find this **** hilarious. For ****'s sake. This time last year we were coming out of the 3rd recession in a row, we had 9 months to exit a bailout program, the CSO reported 90k emigrants, 120k mortgages in arrears, and the country remains in massive deficit while debt trends towards 150% of GDP , add a minor dead cat bounce and the same old **** again. Build Skyscrapers.

Lads. There can only be one bailout. Next time you are on your own.

I know I'm watching it, its crazy stuff. Jeez we could be seeing the return of that tv show 'I am an adult get me out of here' yet !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Mad...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Estate agents are snakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭AlwaysAnyTime

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    How much time have estate agents got so far?

How much time did the economist get?

They're trying to give off the impression of a balanced show, giving both sides an equal opportunity. But you just know they will finish the show with some nonsense like "Where is the Irish property market heading, I guess the sky is the limit" .... **fade out with some upbeat cheery piano music**

Poky enough apartment...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Is it fair to think that people on 'normal wages' like for eg a shop worker and a treacher couple simply could never afford a house in Dublin or commuter belt?

Scary stuff!

Oooh I know this house!

amdublin wrote: »
    Oooh I know this house!

Did it sell?

• Advertisement

Estate Agent: "With the most amount of money" *Evil grin* "I'll be on my way now.."

• Registered Users Posts: 82,681 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It should either be an auction or take asking price, this closed shop backroom bidding with no verification is just too much open to abuse.

Scary estate!

They are very nice properties

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Lisha wrote: »
    Is it fair to think that people on 'normal wages' like for eg a shop worker and a treacher couple simply could never afford a house in Dublin or commuter belt?

Scary stuff!

Well if you are a recent graduate and hoping to get a job as a full time teacher ..good luck, you'll probably be living with the parents for a while yet. I dunno how a shop worker would ever get on the property ladder if they are on minimum wage

Estate Agent: "With the most amount of money" *Evil grin* "I'll be on my way now.."

I thought that fella seemed a wee bit sensible.

amdublin wrote: »
    Scary estate!

Tis the fog that's scary Amdub :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

Hate these programmes :mad: Ok, admittedly the property market has remained still since the crash but this sort of programme only serves to fuel panic among buyers. The estate agents who have been swinging around on their office chairs for months are only too delighted to jump on and add to the media panic. Calm down people, more houses will come on the market and hopefully things will even out

How much does that builder want for these again?

• Advertisement

These 2 irritate the f**k out of me

Advertisement