Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desperate House Buys RTE One 9:40pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

There goes an hour of my life I will never get back.
    The lack of analysis or insight was extraordinary considering the amount of footage of dogs that made the final edit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Having problems trying to get on to the property websites,must be heavy traffic after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,684 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Mental stuff,was trying to imagine a house in Tralee that was built at a similar time
    be lucky to get 150k for it.

The year the house was built in makes no difference. It's what the house has to offer, the upkeep of it, the amenities, area, the lifestyle, it's proximity to jobs. Absolutely nothing wrong with old houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

groovyg wrote: »
    Ohhh I dunno Lisha!! I know a doctor and she is back living with her folks because she couldn't afford the repayments on her mortgage so is renting her gaff out! She did buy in the boom and paid an extortionate amount for her house , but at the way house prices are going she might be able to offload it soon.

At this rate I think your kids need to be computer whizz kids like the Collison brothers and set up a computer company/or develop an app that will make them millions.:eek:

A doctor unable to cover mortgage costs !! That's scary.

Hmmm on the computer thing we try and limit his screen time on devices, think we might revisit that and encourage his inner coder dojo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

The only thing I found interesting was that the estate agent from DnG who was selling that cottage with the large garden sold his house in 2007 and has been renting since!!
    How come he didn't take advantage of the market downturn in 2011/2012?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

I know a doctor and she is back living with her folks because she couldn't afford the repayments on her mortgage

depends where in the country. In some parts of the country a doctor could buy a fine new detached 4 bedroom house for the equivalent of a years salary or less. They could not do that elsewhere. Some people are getting great value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭therealme

We really are a stupid nation and sadly never learn!

Seriously RTE???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

The only thing I found interesting was that the estate agent from DnG who was selling that cottage with the large garden sold his house in 2007 and has been renting since!!
    He is probably renting off an old incapacitated client at a fraction of market value.
    EAs get access to a lot of useful information.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Lisha wrote: »
    A doctor unable to cover mortgage costs !! That's scary.

Not really as 90% of docs are junior docs not the big earning consultants and GPs of old. I have been on call at night as a doc and the woman cleaning the floor on the ward was earning more than me per hour. Don't believe all you read in the media :)

I am going to wait for the next bubble burst :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Why wasnt there more Ronan Lyons? He is incredible interesting to listen to and is a lecturer of economics in TCD. I suppose he didnt buy into the whole shocking and depressing tone of the show. Did anyone else notice the constant shoots to run down areas, graffiti, abandoned buildings etc? The editor of this show is excellent

• Advertisement

That smug fellow with the nice Audi? Who is to say he did not buy property elsewhere in 2011/12? He seemed delighted with himself anyway, not too worried. I wonder what he said to the people in late 07, early 08 who asked his advice on buying a house / who bought their house off him then....and where are they now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

maryishere wrote: »
    That smug fellow with the nice Audi? Who is to say he did not buy property elsewhere in 2011/12? He seemed delighted with himself anyway, not too worried. I wonder what he said to the people in late 07, early 08 who asked his advice on buying a house / who bought their house off him then....and where are they now.

Yeah I didn't like him at all and when he started talking about gazumping as the 'unfortunate side of the business' you knew he was talking through his hole. He was trying to pretend he had a moral compass. I mean what estate agent doesn't like gazumping. As another poster said ...a waste of an hour of my life !!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

in relation to they EA who sold in 2007, it was obvious things were off the wall then, and 2006. If you didnt have kids etc, it would have been a good option. I remember myself and my mate suggested it to our parents, but knew they would never EVER do it, because of course it was on a hunch and more than just financial decisions come into it. But as has been said, he obviously doesnt have a crystal ball, or he would have bough 2 or 3 years ago, but who knows his circumstances.

The planning in Dublin is coming across worse and worse, its totally shocking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Maybe this is how the national economy will be balanced out - not by grants or tax incentives "down the country" (Dubs like to say) but by Dublin melting down due to lack of anywhere that can be afforded to live in.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    in relation to they EA who sold in 2007, it was obvious things were off the wall then, and 2006.

Why did the estate agents lie so, and say back then that there was not going to be a crash, that there was going to be at most a soft landing, no decline in prices etc. Pity the poor people who believed the estate agents advice then when the estate agent secretly went the other way himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Yeah I didn't like him at all and when he started talking about gazumping as the 'unfortunate side of the business' you knew he was talking through his hole. He was trying to pretend he had a moral compass. I mean what estate agent doesn't like gazumping. As another poster said ...a waste of an hour of my life !!

To be fair (and I didn't really like him) gazumping is nasty no body comes out of it well except the vendor with the few extra quid in their pocket, it can be devastating to the original purchaser.

Why are you suggesting EA's like gazumping? so they can achieve and extra €75? (example of an extra €5000 on price x 1.5% fee). The problem with gazumping is the purchasers who do it, book stops with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Was there any mention of the CSO figures for the first 3 months of this year which show mortgage draw downs? And were pretty much static....nope...what a shock

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Why did the estate agents lie so, and say back then that there was not going to be a crash, that there was going to be at most a soft landing, no decline in prices etc. Pity the poor people who believed the estate agents advice then when the estate agent secretly went the other way himself.
    Because I honestly do reckon most of them did think "Ireland is different" I dont think there was any intentional malice from the likes of Aherne and the Estate agents etc, I mean, you could put a group of economists in a room and they would probably have difficulty agreeing on the time. What the hell did the likes of Aherne and many in the department of finance, the regulator actually know?

The only thing they were experts in was spoofing and bull****ting!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Estate Agents are sales people selling property... not economists!
    Why would anyone take advice from someone who has a vested interest in a specific course of action?

If I was selling my house I certainly wouldnt want my estate agent telling prospective buyers that it'll probably lose 40-50% of its value in the next couple of yrs...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

gmisk wrote: »
    Was there any mention of the CSO figures for the first 3 months of this year which show mortgage draw downs? And were pretty much static....nope...what a shock

Nope because cash sales are excluded.
    4 of my friends have gone sale agreed ( 4 seperate properties) on houses in SCD and I can tell you that it really is an aggressive market with the asking price being exceeded each time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

mike65 wrote: »
    Maybe this is how the national economy will be balanced out - not by grants or tax incentives "down the country" (Dubs like to say) but by Dublin melting down due to lack of anywhere that can be afforded to live in.

And the wage demands being made of companies so their employees can afford to live anywhere near work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭ryan101

The entire problem, yet again, is this Island is brainwashed into fostering and developing a monocity culture instead of decent regional cities.
    3/4 of Ireland is not Dublin
    Yet, even our national motorway network has been designed to perpetuate this monocity culture, mimicing the 16th century road maps of Ireland.
    I like Dublin, but it is nothing special by any means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

On the front line are the estate agents

Lets hope a few of them get picked off by sniper fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Simple solution to all of this is bunk beds. More fun and better use of space, and also leaves more room for activities!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Simple solution to all of this is bunk beds. More fun and better use of space, and also leaves more room for activities!

Or remove the 60% dirt tax. There's no incentive for investors to keep the money in a bank hence the rush for property

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

amdublin wrote: »
    Yeah but who wants to live in fkn Cabra Ronan?!!!!!!

Serious bangernomics though in his 146, respect. He's right about redevelopment of sites like that though. Broombridge is a hole and as long as it remains in splendid isolation, it always will remain a hole. Take away the [estate agent parlance]seclusion[/estate agent parlance] and you take away a lot of the antisocial behaviour

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

Would you take a tip for a horse off a bookie that was willing to take the bet off you???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

whatnext wrote: »
    Would you take a tip for a horse off a bookie that was willing to take the bet off you???

My father always says: You never ask a barber: "Do I need a haircut?"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

The problem is simple ... Too
    Many people want to live too close to the city and also have a garden and four bedrooms.

I am so glad I got out of dublin when I did. The quality of life is far better and no need to live in a shoebox ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

whippet wrote: »
    The problem is simple ... Too
    Many people want to live too close to the city and also have a garden and four bedrooms.

I am so glad I got out of dublin when I did. The quality of life is far better and no need to live in a shoebox ...

A garden and 4bedrooms doesn't sound like a shoebox to me...

If you can live and work outside Dublin all very well. But if you have to commute to Dublin that is not a good quality of life to me.

Advertisement