Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desperate House Buys RTE One 9:40pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I think Ronan Lyons made a good point about our planning last night when he mentioned the Dublin Industrial Estate right where the new Luas line will terminate. The areas the new line goes through north of Parnell Square are largely populated by 3/4 bed semi-d houses and here we are building a Luas through that but all while the industrial estate at the end of the line, if zoned residential instead of industrial, could house 40,000 people in higher density housing which would be directly connected to town and across it with reliable transport infrastructure. 40,000 people could be housed and most of them would have virtually no need for a car given the reliability and frequency of the Luas.

With just one stroke of a pen that land could be rezoned, the owners of it would be subject to a windfall tax but would still make a profit over it remaining industrial where a lot of units lie empty. A years demand (40,000) of Dublins housing would be satisfied on that one site alone, I wonder how many other similar examples are lying around the city ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 beardy_mcgrath

They have to finish what they started. And the idea that Dublin needs 20,000 houses per year is nuts. The same crap again. That supposes increases in Dublins population alone of about 50-60k a year.

Last year 100 k people left the country. The natural increase is only 10k per annum ( deaths over births). The natural increase in Dublin is about 3k.

We exited the bailout in December 2013. We were in recession until mid. 2013 from late 2012, we've scraped a few months of anaemic growth since. A few months later with debt to GDP at unplayable levels we are talking like we are in a permanent boom. Utter nonsense.

Price increases last year were due to lack of supply. There were only 10,000 in the city. Mortgages were the lowest on record. Cash stepped in. If you added 5000 to the market today prices will crash.

most of our young are either in london , australia or canada , all three countries - locations property prices make south dublin look like south kerry , while many will not return , should the country show clear signs of recovery , many will and they will return with cash in hand to buy in dublin , dublin will have two million inhabitants by 2030

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭ryan101

Why has the programme been removed from RTE player ?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

Ask RTE.

anto9 wrote: »
    Ask RTE.

Why bother with the thread at all then, sure we should just ask RTE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,615 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

ryan101 wrote: »
    Why bother with the thread at all then, sure we should just ask RTE
    The thread isn't about whether or not the programme is on the RTE Player.

The thread isn't about whether or not the programme is on the RTE Player.

The thread is about the programme, do you not think it significant it has been pulled ?

The thread is about the programme, do you not think it significant it has been pulled ?

I didn't say it wasn't.

But no one here, unless they work for RTE, is going to know why it isn't on the RTE Player anymore.

I didn't say it wasn't.

But no one here, unless they work for RTE, is going to know why it isn't on the RTE Player anymore.

That is totally incorrect, programmes have been pulled before for legal reasons, and reported in the news as such.

That is totally incorrect, programmes have been pulled before for legal reasons, and reported in the news as such.

There was no text between the lines of what I said so I'm not sure what you're saying is 'totally incorrect' about what I said.

Did you want endless speculation on why it might have been pulled or a definitive answer?

If it's the latter, then your best bet would be to ask RTE.

If it's the former, then by all means take your chances on speculating why it was removed from the RTE Player.

• Advertisement

Well said Alf ,i would not have your patience to deal with such thickness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

So once these 30-40 something panic buyers, that have more savings than sense blow their saving, how are these property prices going to be sustained ?

They can't because these current FTB's who have savings and avoided the madness are going to be replaced by Generation Jobbridge with no savings thanks to low paying jobs and sky high rents.

By preventing the glut that normally follows a bust, the government have effectively passed the cost of the bust onto the current buyers sinking all their cash (and their parents') into that big black hole in the ground called "debt".

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Ritchi

Zamboni wrote: »

Interesting reading, it seems the average mortgage is roughly the same since Q1 2012, if anything it's had a slight decline ever since, including Q4 2012 when there was the end of MIR rush. Given that house prices have been going up for at least 6 months, and that's not reflected in these stats, it means people are giving bigger deposits, and as you say, people are cash buyers.

But, I still maintain that banks are giving out mortgages a lot easier, at least pre-approvals, than they were 12 months ago(I have first hand experience of this), and probably a little too easily. The amount I was approved for was crazy(not the amount I drew down).

It would also be nice to see it broken down by region, but I'm guessing that's not available.

anto9 wrote: »
    Well said Alf ,i would not have your patience to deal with such thickness.

I suppose if you are stuck you can always try personal abuse, but that says more about you than anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Gam

gaius c wrote: »
    They can't because these current FTB's who have savings and avoided the madness are going to be replaced by Generation Jobbridge with no savings thanks to low paying jobs and sky high rents.

By preventing the glut that normally follows a bust, the government have effectively passed the cost of the bust onto the current buyers sinking all their cash (and their parents') into that big black hole in the ground called "debt".

There is another factor that could kick in, which is the rent-for-life (or good part of it).
    Unlike many other countries, people in Ireland are allergic to renting long term.
    If something like this kicks in, prices should drop... unless some "investors" start a buy-to-rent war which will drain the market again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Why? Because they have far more problems with the anti-social behaviour that comes from such high levels of un(der)employment and multi-generation cradle to grave welfare recipients.
    This had me laughing out loud, because its so true!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Ritchi wrote: »
    Interesting reading, it seems the average mortgage is roughly the same since Q1 2012, if anything it's had a slight decline ever since, including Q4 2012 when there was the end of MIR rush. Given that house prices have been going up for at least 6 months, and that's not reflected in these stats, it means people are giving bigger deposits, and as you say, people are cash buyers.

But, I still maintain that banks are giving out mortgages a lot easier, at least pre-approvals, than they were 12 months ago(I have first hand experience of this), and probably a little too easily. The amount I was approved for was crazy(not the amount I drew down).

It would also be nice to see it broken down by region, but I'm guessing that's not available.

Approval amounts bear no relation whatsoever to what you can actually draw down. You would have discovered this yourself had you actually tried to draw down the amount you were approved for.

Gam wrote: »
    Unlike many other countries, people in Ireland are allergic to renting long term.

Renters in many other countries have a lot more security than they do in Ireland though.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Gam

Renters in many other countries have a lot more security than they do in Ireland though.

You're right, and they pay less too

I suppose if you are stuck you can always try personal abuse, but that says more about you than anyone else.

My advice to you is as follows >when you are in a hole stop digging <<:D Have you emailed RTE yet ? or you still expect people here to give you and answer about why they pulled a programme ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Ritchi

gaius c wrote: »
    Approval amounts bear no relation whatsoever to what you can actually draw down. You would have discovered this yourself had you actually tried to draw down the amount you were approved for.

Maybe so.

Are approval amounts always above the draw down amount? If so, why do they bother approving for more than you can actually borrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Ritchi wrote: »
    Are approval amounts always above the draw down amount? If so, why do they bother approving for more than you can actually borrow?

Firstly it's a PR trick to make the bank look like they are lending. Look at the ads on TV or the websites. Doesn't match actual drawdowns at all.
    Also it's a Government backed bank tactic which uses approved in principal FTBers bid up prices against cash purchasers.
    Large transfer of private wealth into banks balance sheets in time for next round of ECB stress tests.
    Add in a purposely low Deposit rate and high DIRT and a CGT exemption and you can start to see the big game.
    It is manipulation to bleed wealth out of private hands into banks.
    AIB will be sold off at a massive loss to the taxpayers bit will be lauded by the government as a win. Regional excess supply will be demolished. Leinster excess supply will be kept off market intentionally. Lack of repossessions will continue to prevent downward price pressure. Taxpayer will further be placed in jeopardy by the current FG/Lab to guarantee portions of 95% mortgages.
    FF must be secretly impressed at how the coalition are actually as moronic as they were.
    Or something like that.

Does anyone think it significant that RTE have now removed the programme from RTE player ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Does anyone think it significant that RTE have now removed the programme from RTE player ?

Who cares either way?
    What difference does it make?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

I'm watching the show at the moment on the Player. Was it just not available for a few hours today?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Firstly it's a PR trick to make the bank look like they are lending. Look at the ads on TV or the websites. Doesn't match actual drawdowns at all.
    Also it's a Government backed bank tactic which uses approved in principal FTBers bid up prices against cash purchasers.
    Large transfer of private wealth into banks balance sheets in time for next round of ECB stress tests.
    Add in a purposely low Deposit rate and high DIRT and a CGT exemption and you can start to see the big game.
    It is manipulation to bleed wealth out of private hands into banks.
    AIB will be sold off at a massive loss to the taxpayers bit will be lauded by the government as a win. Regional excess supply will be demolished. Leinster excess supply will be kept off market intentionally. Lack of repossessions will continue to prevent downward price pressure. Taxpayer will further be placed in jeopardy by the current FG/Lab to guarantee portions of 95% mortgages.
    FF must be secretly impressed at how the coalition are actually as moronic as they were.
    Or something like that.

So basically we are stuck with high prices and this apparent dublin bubble won't burst due to government intervention?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

So basically we are stuck with high prices and this apparent dublin bubble won't burst due to government intervention?
    until the supply issue is sorted out, yeah we are stuck with high prices and even when supply kicks in, it wont be in the areas a lot of people would prefer to live. And there was huge supply around the boom years, didnt stop prices rocketing...

I'm watching the show at the moment on the Player. Was it just not available for a few hours today?

It went completely missing this afternoon, no links anywhere, interesting that its back up, I wonder what they edited out / got cleared by their legal team

Who cares either way?
    What difference does it make?

This thread is about the programme

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 jessicaxxx

can someone post a link to it on rte player I can not seem to find it.

Advertisement