Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Na Fianna Bob Heffernan 5k 2014 - 20th May

Options
  • 19-05-2014 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone was headed to this race tomorrow? No mention of it on the forums. Weather looks pretty good, with just the mildest of head-winds (3 m/s). Some mentions of the road changing slightly due to roadworks, but conflicting reports on whether that'll make the route faster or slower.

So anyone going?

BTW: Entry still seems to be open, at a very reasonable €12 + €0.66

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Just wondering if anyone was headed to this race tomorrow? No mention of it on the forums. Weather looks pretty good, with just the mildest of head-winds (3 m/s). Some mentions of the road changing slightly due to roadworks, but conflicting reports on whether that'll make the route faster or slower.

So anyone going?

This is a super fast one KC. I am sure you will go sub 16 on it.

Not going this year, timing just doesn't suit (no shape to be racing and have a work dinner anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

So anyone going?

Fastest course in Ireland (besides the maligned MSB one):D. Obviously not running this year but wish I was. KC-I would bet the farm on a sub 16 for you here (if you race it) (no pressure) :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Hmmmmmm

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Not part of the plan, but ya got me well tempted now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

I'm doing it. First race since injury. Not race fit but I'll give it a bash anyway to get a marker of where I'm at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Fastest 5k I know of. Route is faster than last years as it runs along the new edenderry road.
    Great race and well worth the spin down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

Definite sub 16 for you. Fantastic race on a super fast course. Hope the rain holds off for the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

The course was very fast last year- I was one of the many that PBed on it. There was also a good slua of fast runners at it as I think it's part of a Meath League but also close enough to Dublin, Mullingar and Tullamore. It was well organised and good value.
    I believe the course may have changed slightly this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

This is a pb course for sure. Wont be running it, but its a big race with our club, so be alot of our runners at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

So just me and Timmaay then? :)

Will be heading from Sandyford direction, if anyone is undecided (sign-ups on the day) and would like a lift?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Anybody got a garmin link to the course? even last years? The one in the sticky doesn't seem to give an accurate profile.

• Advertisement

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Anybody got a garmin link to the course? even last years? The one in the sticky doesn't seem to give an accurate profile.
    I just mapped it a moment ago (based on the old route). Looks flat as a pancake (click on the elevation graph on the top left). You can probably expect a little more climb at the start due to the road changes, but otherwise pretty similar.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/316260956

menoscemo wrote: »
    Do you happen to remember if the course is marked with 'km' markers?

Straight and incredibly fast. I think one or two turns max lol. Trust me there is simply not a faster course around . Always a good field as well- I think at least 30 under 17 last year!

Do you happen to remember if the course is marked with 'km' markers?

Not 100 % sure if it was KM or miles but I think KM

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

So just me and Timmaay then? :)

Will be heading from Sandyford direction, if anyone is undecided (sign-ups on the day) and would like a lift?

Ugh can't get off work early enough, and feeling that 60mins 'easy' I did yday now, so sorry your on your own! But best of luck, I'll get in one of the other flat 5ks instead, or might just go for a track 5k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

I'm in - CL's in but we can't tell TRR ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭GoTheDistance

First time poster - long term lurker. I'm not part of the race organisation.

The course will be measured in KMs.

The course has only changed due to the fact that the Edenderry to Enfield road has been subject to a major upgrade over the past 18 months or so. The race will start on the R402 as previous years.

Unfortunately aerial imagery and Streetviews etc have not caught up with these changes - (look to where the Thomastown road meets the R402 - I cannot post links). It's likely that the participants will be asked to wait on this road and then lead out to the start - the R402 is a busy road.

The 1st KM marker is just when you take the next left (the Kilmurray road).

Due to the road resurfacing/re-alignment the start sees a very very slight incline. I'm not surveyor but it's probably 1 meter rise spread over 100m horizontal.

Out from this the course is identical to previous years. The Na Fianna club had the course re-measured several times because of these changes.

The remaining 4KM of the race are essentially traffic free: roads are not closed but traffic volume is fairly low.

The only actual rise on the course occurs at about 400M to go where there is an old culvert bridge. That's it.

I'd agree with the posters above. One of the fastest courses for 5KM that you'll find. A top notch race in every sense of the word.

Parking is available in around the Hamlet Hotel or anywhere in the village of Johnstownbridge.

Exit 9 on the M4

Due to the road resurfacing/re-alignment the start sees a very very slight incline. I'm not surveyor but it's probably 1 meter rise spread over 100m horizontal.
    Thanks GoTheDistance. I'm sure we can manage the extra metre rise.
    (famous last words).

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭GoTheDistance

Thanks GoTheDistance. I'm sure we can manage the extra metre rise.
    (famous last words).

Well I have the 'I'm not a surveyor disclaimer' ;-) - You'll have the 1 mile (approx) jog to the start area so you'll be able to have a little look before you start. Best of luck KC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Can you jump off at exit 8 to avoid the toll bridge?

corny wrote: »
    Can you jump off at exit 8 to avoid the toll bridge?
    This looks like it might avoid it: map

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Yes take the exit before hand and go round the roundabout to the Enfield exit off the roundabout

what time should we show up to pick up numbers etc

bluewolf wrote: »
    Yes take the exit before hand and go round the roundabout to the Enfield exit off the roundabout

what time should we show up to pick up numbers etc

They'll give you out your number any time up to about 15 minutes before the off but bear in mind that the start is about a mile away. I'd be aiming to get there before 7:30 to avoid any panic.

menoscemo wrote: »
    This is a super fast one KC. I am sure you will go sub 16 on it.

Not going this year, timing just doesn't suit (no shape to be racing and have a work dinner anyway).

drquirky wrote: »
    Fastest course in Ireland (besides the maligned MSB one):D. Obviously not running this year but wish I was. KC-I would bet the farm on a sub 16 for you here (if you race it) (no pressure) :eek::eek::eek:

looks like we were right!!
    http://www.precisiontiming.net/result.aspx?v=1900

Great running KC. To say I was confident of the sub 16 though would be a pretty big understatement!

(btw still think that MSB run was legit)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

49 under 17 mins and Fagan wins by a full minute!

What a great race. The best thing about this race isn't the very flat, fast course. It isn't the ideal location just off the m50. It isn't all of the wonderful volunteers and marshals. It isn't that the fact that the final 500m is largely downhill. It is the fact that they have something that no other race in Ireland has. Decent coffee.

Nah, just kidding. It's the standard that shows up for this race. Incredible. !5:52 get's you 2nd m40, and outside of the top 10. Nothing like it!

Also the coffee..

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭wideball

Great race, congrats KC on sub 16. Super running in a top class field. Well deserved. I'm happy out with my first sub 17 (16:58), a bit of a sprint for the line!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Advertisement