Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Na Fianna Bob Heffernan 5k 2014 - 20th May

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

If you click your name on the results, there is a videos of your finish.
    Nice touch from precision timing. I noticed the same thing on the Sportsworld 5 mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

My mate did a 15:42. Almost a 30 second PB in less than a year!

What made the course quick? Slight downhill throughout?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

walshb wrote: »
    My mate did a 15:42. Almost a 30 second PB in less than a year!

Why would anyone here give a flying duck about what your "mate" ran

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

It's dead flat, has few turns, and has a very competitive field. Also, the last 500 is slightly downhill. There is no significant elevation change between the start and finish (I reckon 3m).

• Advertisement

It's dead flat, has few turns, and has a very competitive field. Also, the last 500 is slightly downhill. There is no significant elevation change between the start and finish (I reckon 3m).

You got a PB? That's great. Take out the turns and even a better time is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

You got a PB? That's great. Take out the turns and even a better time is possible.
    I don't think those two turns would really add anything to one's time, as they're nice and curved (more so than they appear on the map). The only way one could make that course slightly faster would be to put the finish line on the road, instead of inside the car-park, so people could see the clock ahead of them. I reckon it would be worth 4-5 seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

The course is a horse-shoe shape. Not quite a point to point but the start and finish are a mile apart.
    I heard from some of the locals last year that the course is designed so that the prevailing wind is helping most of the way. I think after the first k; the next 4k is pretty much downwind most of the time and at no point are you running straight into the wind (assuming a westerly).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

menoscemo wrote: »
    The course is a horse-shoe shape. Not quite a point to point but the start and finish are a mile apart.
    I heard from some of the locals last year that the course is designed so that the prevailing wind is helping most of the way. I think after the first k; the next 4k is pretty much downwind most of the time and at no point are you running straight into the wind (assuming a westerly).

The hedgerow blocks out the wind most of the time anyway.

Finish line really sneaks up on you.

I don't think those two turns would really add anything to one's time, as they're nice and curved (more so than they appear on the map). .

Indeed. It's them damned 180 turns that you encounter in some races that really can affect your stride and rhythm. That's the thing about PBs and the "perfect" race, it's so dependent on the course and the weather. I may just target this race next year!

Anyone think a straight line 5 k run with no wind (very very little wind) at all would produce records?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭carlton36

corny wrote: »

Finish line really sneaks up on you.
    :rolleyes:

?? I thought it would never come!!:)

Advertisement