Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Atletico Madrid vs Real Madrid - Champions League Final 2014 *Mod Warning Post #856

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Ronaldo is the best player in the world when his team is already winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Which hotel are the Real squad staying in, I assume Marty Morrissey will be at the banquet?
    Grabbing a few interviews, and handing out the MotM award

Bale is practicing his "Well Marty..." as we speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,463 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Rinaldo is the best player in the world when his team is already winning.

Not the first time he's flopped in a champions league final.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Paully D wrote: »
    The meltdown over Ronaldo's celebration is hilarious :pac: Rugby might be a more appropriate sport for those offended by such celebrating.

Don't tell that to the Leeds Rhinos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Have to respect the smugness of Varane too. Main contribution: backtracking away from Simeone like a sheep looking down the eyes of a Mayo man.

Have to respect a 21 year old who just started at centre back in the CL final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Delighted for Ronnie. A player as good as he is deserves multiple Champions Leagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Giles knows the score

On Ronaldos celebration "Probably some stupid commercial thing, wouldnt be surprised to see it in an ad in a few weeks"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭twinytwo

AdamD wrote: »
    Judging the appropriateness of celebrations seem to be the new thing in football

God forbid players celebrate a goal in the CL final.

To see grown men slide around on the grass/take their shirts off etc etc just because they managed to put a ball in a goal.... Words can't describe the sadness.... I mean football is soft enough as it is with players falling over mystical objects and crying for their mothers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Great game, Angel di Maria was man of the match. Bale and Ronaldo had their worse games in a while but both scored. Ramos header was a stunner. Got to give it to A. Madrid they played well in the first half but Real were in control from the 2nd half onwards.

• Advertisement

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Giles knows the score

On Ronaldos celebration "Probably some stupid commercial thing, wouldnt be surprised to see it in an ad in a few weeks"

I got the feeling Johnny liked the celebration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

BobrtxcIgAACNTF.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Xabi Alonso.... Stayed in his civvies and didn't do a John Terry on it putting his kit and shin guards and all on......classy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

854312078.jpg?1400967049

This is a few moments after Bale scores apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

twinytwo wrote: »
    To see grown me slide around on the grass/take their shirts off etc etc just because they managed to put a ball in a goal.... Words can't describe the sadness.... I mean football is soft enough as it is with players falling over mystical objects and crying for their mothers.

Scoring in what is annually one of the biggest sporting occasions in the world is a fairly big deal to be fair.

And as for people calling football soft, the level of skill required at the very top level is streets ahead of the likes of rugby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Real still not updated there website:

test.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

twinytwo wrote: »
    To see grown men slide around on the grass/take their shirts off etc etc just because they managed to put a ball in a goal.... Words can't describe the sadness.... I mean football is soft enough as it is with players falling over mystical objects and crying for their mothers.
    If you don't think it's important, why are you posting in this thread? Idiocy.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

The price of La Decima? €1.19 billion since winning it in 2002.

Alonso is one of those likable footballers. Plays the game in the right way, carries himself really well and doesnt get involved in a lot of the bs that a lot of his teammates want to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Totally gutted after that. So close and yet so far. Every person on the Atlético team stood up and was counted, squad etc just told in the end.

If they had won it I think their season would have been the biggest footballing achievement I had seen in my lifetime, even without it remarkable

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Christ, I hate listening to people pissing and moaning about the right way to play football.

Most entertaining game I remember watching as a neutral? When Portugal and Holland kicked the **** out of each other for 90 minutes. That was fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭upstairs for coffee

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    The price of La Decima? €1.19 billion since winning it in 2002.

Net spend? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Germany Holland '90 was very entertaining

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,647 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Bale overrated cost too much not anymore :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

In the end Real totally deserved it.

Great first half from Atletico, but halfway the second half Real totally dominated, got a deserved equaliser and in extra time they just steamrolled over them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Sad for Atletico. Almost had it. Real very lucky and poor overall, IMO. Atletico had nothing left after the 90 mins. Marcello made the difference, running at the Atletico defence, something had to give.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

RTÉ boys suggesting that Atletico sat back too much in the second half of normal time. I think they're talking through their holes to be honest. They put in the hardest shift of football for 70 minutes, a week after putting in 90 exhausting minutes to hang on away to Barcelona. I think if they didn't sit back in the last twenty minutes, they would probably have been steam-rolled on the counter.

Will Atletico be back next season or will they be raided during the summer and back in mid-table next season?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Alonso is one of those likable footballers. Plays the game in the right way, carries himself really well and doesnt get involved in a lot of the bs that a lot of his teammates want to

And then he moved to Real...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

thelad95 wrote: »
    RTÉ boys suggesting that Atletico sat back too much in the second half of normal time. I think they're talking through their holes to be honest. They put in the hardest shift of football for 70 minutes, a week after putting in 90 exhausting minutes to hang on away to Barcelona. I think if they didn't sit back in the last twenty minutes, they would probably have been steam-rolled on the counter.

Will Atletico be back next season or will they be raided during the summer and back in mid-table next season?

This.

And then he moved to Real...

what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

what?

Exactly, fcuking thread is full of morons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Uhh - am I missing something here? :confused:

Look closely at the window

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Did I hear it right that Ronaldo is only the second player in European Cup history to score in the final for two different clubs?

Ballon D'Or with two different clubs, CL with two different clubs. Scored in as many CL finals as Messi and has same number of medals. Record number of goals in one CL season.

Yes, he didn't play well tonight and he maybe over-celebrated his goal, but it's hard to argue against his stats. Done without the relative stability that Messi enjoyed during Barca's peak too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Did I hear it right that Ronaldo is only the second player in European Cup history to score in the final for two different clubs?

Ballon D'Or with two different clubs, CL with two different clubs. Scored in as many CL finals as Messi and has same number of medals. Record number of goals in one CL season.

Yes, he didn't play well tonight and he maybe over-celebrated his goal, but it's hard to argue against his stats. Done without the relative stability that Messi enjoyed during Barca's peak too.

Messi has one more CL medal.

But yeah, Ronaldo's CL success with two different clubs is impressive, in how he was the main man by far in both successful campaigns. Also heard that about scoring for different clubs in finals, also thought I heard he's the first in the Champions League era but not sure as I didn't hear who the other was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Schwiiing wrote: »
    This.
    Worst case they will be top 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Bale overrated cost too much not anymore :p

And his fitness level is very good. Even till the end he attacked with great speed.

And I'm really gutted for Atletico, I really thought they would do it, it would have been a great achievement for both them and the manager. I would say there is always next year but I know that is not the case, this year was their year but sadly they don't have the great achievemnet of wining champions league.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

CSF wrote: »
    Gutted beyond the belief at the result but the Ronaldo abuse is ridiculous.

He was never going to play well in this game tonight. He needs loads of space and Atletico weren't going to give it to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

shrewdness wrote: »

2009/2011. What other?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Have no problem with Ronaldo's celebration at the end, game over or not, why wouldn't he go berserk at scoring a record-breaking goal in the CL final in his home country? If it was Atletico scoring they're fourth through a Diego Costa penalty do you think he'd have taken it easy?

However, I noticed during the Bale celebration that Ronaldo wasn't there. I'll be interested to see what he was at or why he wasn't involved.

Also, the thing with Simeone looked to be triggered by Varane kicking the ball over towards the Atletico bench. Maybe Varane said something or maybe Simeone just lost the plot because he thought Varane was trying to time-waste by kicking the ball away. Hard to tell what the reason was but his reaction is unacceptable. That being said, his passion is what makes him such a good manager. He's a package deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

2009/2011. What other?

• Advertisement

But yeah, Ronaldo's CL success with two different clubs is impressive, in how he was the main man by far in both successful campaigns. Also heard that about scoring for different clubs in finals, also thought I heard he's the first in the Champions League era but not sure as I didn't hear who the other was.

It was some guy in the 60's who scored for Ajax and Belgrade I think they said

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velibor_Vasovi%C4%87

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Only 9 other players have managed it

Deco

Marcel Desailly

Didier Deschamps

Samuel Eto'o

Owen Hargreaves

Christian Panucci

Clarence Seedorf

Paulo Sousa

Edwin Van der Sar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭carraig2

Whatever about Ronaldo playing well tonight or not they would not have won it without him. Not just tonight that wins it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Deco

Marcel Desailly

Didier Deschamps

Samuel Eto'o

Owen Hargreaves

Christian Panucci

Clarence Seedorf

Paulo Sousa

Edwin Van der Sar

Xabi Alonso?

Deco

Marcel Desailly

Didier Deschamps

Samuel Eto'o

Owen Hargreaves

Christian Panucci

Clarence Seedorf

Paulo Sousa

Edwin Van der Sar

That all? Thought there'd be more

Fescue wrote: »
    Xabi Alonso?

Yes...but technically not on the pitch playing when they did tonight.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    That all? Thought there'd be more

List I found online today.

Unless it hasn't been updated.

It is CL list though and doesn't count the old European Cup.

Rijkaard won 2 EC with Milan & a CL Ajax
    Miodrag Belodidic (sp) won two old ECs with Steaua and Red Star.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭carraig2

Yes...but technically not on the pitch playing when they did tonight.

It is more than tonight in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

It really is brilliant, the bitter agenda of some. Not Simeones reaction and nothing about Marcelo celebrating but Ronaldo celebrates and it's outrage :pac:

Didn't play well tonight, but got his goal and his second CL in his home country playing for the club he loved as a boy, broke the goal scoring record getting them to the final and is now joint second all time top scorer in the CL.

Fair play to him, best player in the world.

Fair play to Ancelotti, fantastic manager.

And well done Madrid, Atleti will have the league as some sort of consolation!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

It really is brilliant, the bitter agenda of some. Not Simeones reaction and nothing about Marcelo celebrating but Ronaldo celebrates and it's outrage :pac:

Didn't play well tonight, but got his goal and his second CL in his home country playing for the club he loved as a boy, broke the goal scoring record getting them to the final and is now joint second all time top scorer in the CL.

Fair play to him, best player in the world.

Fair play to Ancelotti, fantastic manager.

And well done Madrid, Atleti will have the league as some sort of consolation!

That's mad when you think that a couple of years ago he was a good bit behind Messi, but in the last two seasons's he's scored 29 CL goals, mental! The two of them will probably surpass Raul's record after a few group games next season!

Advertisement