Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Atletico Madrid vs Real Madrid - Champions League Final 2014 *Mod Warning Post #856

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Deserving winners.
    Played very positive attacking football.
    Particularly impressed with Ramos and Marcelo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Best team won in the end. Ancelotti is a great manger, could've been sacked tonight if they lost but would walk into any other big job that is going if that was the outcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

sugarman wrote: »
    So the list is only counting players who played in the final and won it with more than 1 club?

Theres a few more other wise

Pique has 3 CL's between United and Barca

Only players that have taken the field. No unused subs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Lennonist wrote: »
    Best team won in the end. Ancelotti is a great manger, could've been sacked tonight but would walk into any other big job that is going if that was the outcome.

That Ramos goal was huge for Madrid for several reasons. If they had have lost tonight and sacked Ancelotti then who knows where they would've went from here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Yes...but technically not on the pitch playing when they did tonight.

Under that criteria, Messi has only won two CL's then. Wasn't part of the match day squad in 2006 final

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Under that criteria, Messi has only won two CL's then. Wasn't part of the match day squad in 2006 final

He wouldn't make the list anyway as he has only won the CLs with one club.

It really is brilliant, the bitter agenda of some. Not Simeones reaction and nothing about Marcelo celebrating but Ronaldo celebrates and it's outrage :pac:

Didn't play well tonight, but got his goal and his second CL in his home country playing for the club he loved as a boy, broke the goal scoring record getting them to the final and is now joint second all time top scorer in the CL.

Fair play to him, best player in the world.

Fair play to Ancelotti, fantastic manager.

And well done Madrid, Atleti will have the league as some sort of consolation!

Lads being bitter about Ronaldo and then Ronaldo fanbots defending him has made the thread a bit of a giggle anyway :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Shreeves has some balls saying to Ancellotti he would have been sacked if he lost tonight in a split second, he's in for a rude awakening with Van Gaal next season if he takes similar lines of questioning. Ancellotti is a class act

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

It really is brilliant, the bitter agenda of some. Not Simeones reaction and nothing about Marcelo celebrating but Ronaldo celebrates and it's outrage :pac:

Didn't play well tonight, but got his goal and his second CL in his home country playing for the club he loved as a boy, broke the goal scoring record getting them to the final and is now joint second all time top scorer in the CL.

Fair play to him, best player in the world.

Fair play to Ancelotti, fantastic manager.

And well done Madrid, Atleti will have the league as some sort of consolation!

Ronaldo is a fantastic player, I don't think anyone can really argue that but as a person he is a complete and utter twat.

He won, at best, a dodgy penalty against a team who had already conceded the game and then celebrated as if he had single-handedly broken the deadlock whereas the game had ended about 5 minutes previously.

His celebration was absolutely pathetic, as was Simeones reaction (for whatever reason). I also thought Marcelo's reaction with Casillas was over the top but was understandable because at least he finished the game as a contest and bailed out the keeper.

The fact it was Ronaldo isn't really the factor here, it's just the twatish behaviour. If it was any other player, I would say the same, but very few other players would react that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

nuxxx wrote: »
    Shreeves has some balls saying to Ancellotti he would have been sacked if he lost tonight in a split second, he's in for a rude awakening with Van Gaal next season if he takes similar lines of questioning. Ancellotti is a class act

Hopefully he will:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Do people seriously claim Ronaldo is a better player than Messi?

OK then......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Looper007 wrote: »
    Great game, Angel di Maria was man of the match. Bale and Ronaldo had their worse games in a while but both scored. Ramos header was a stunner. Got to give it to A. Madrid they played well in the first half but Real were in control from the 2nd half onwards.

I thought bale did quite well. At least he got into the position for the chances he missed. They were not by any means easy chances. Even the goal was a tricky one.

I like (or liked) Ronaldo but his antics tonight throughout the match were disgusting. Throwing tantrums and frustration when yhings didnt go his way. Nowhere to be seen during the celebrations for the goals, and then going bat**** crazy when he gets his soft penalty.

I thoroughly enjoyed that game. Athletico play like meath from the mick lyons era. Kicking the **** out if the opposition. Some great, tough tackles, no major feigning injuries. There was plenty of referee protesting which is expected from an all spain final but it added to the drama.

As a spurs fan I am delighted for bale and modric. They have shown their class this year. Well may they celebrate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Not the greatest of games but a decent one all in all, is 4-1 a fair reflection? Obviously not but i cant begrudge real their win. Strange game, if ramos doesn't score that goal bale/benzema and ronaldo would have been chastised, once he did i knew real would win, atleti shot their bolt so to speak.
    Motm? Probably gabi for atleti had they won, a seriously unsung hero/ underrated player but seeing as real won you would say it was di maria, the man had a renaissance this season and it bodes well for argentina and their midfield issue in the wold cup. He has blown me way this season tbh. I was in the pub so didn't really catch ronnies celebration but fcuk it, 17 goals in a single champions league campaign is incredible, you may take away his goal last night and say it was meaningless but his other 16 helped real reached the final massively so he deserves to celebrate.
    Will be interesting to see what happens with atleti now, costa is presumably off to chelsea but they've had a steady flow of excellent strikers for many years now so wouldn't be too concerned with that. Felipe/godin/miranda/koke/arda will certainly attract their fair share of suitors this summer but hopefully atleti can hold onto them and push on again. A great season all in all for them.

nuxxx wrote: »

I hope Van Gaal rips him apart tbh.

No time for Shreeves at all. Terrible interviewer. He must have connections high up to still be in that gig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

farna_boy wrote: »
    Ronaldo is a fantastic player, I don't think anyone can really argue that but as a person he is a complete and utter twat.

He won, at best, a dodgy penalty against a team who had already conceded the game and then celebrated as if he had single-handedly broken the deadlock whereas the game had ended about 5 minutes previously.

His celebration was absolutely pathetic, as was Simeones reaction (for whatever reason). I also thought Marcelo's reaction with Casillas was over the top but was understandable because at least he finished the game as a contest and bailed out the keeper.

The fact it was Ronaldo isn't really the factor here, it's just the twatish behaviour. If it was any other player, I would say the same, but very few other players would react that way.

Yeah, you know nothing about him as a person

Getting clipped as you run through is now at best a dodgy penalty? That reeks of bitterness tbh.

Simeone didnt react to Ronaldo celebration

He had just scored in the CL final in his home country, in the city he learned his trade, for his boyhood team. Most players would react with joy and celebrate wildly to be perfectly honest. Get over it and turn off Rte

The game itself was pretty good overall, in terms of tension at the very least. No way Atletico deserved the score line but they did just give up at 2-1, Marcelo walzed unopposed to score his goal, he even looked surprised nobody attempted to stop him in the midfield.

They were out on their feet at that stage unfortunately for the game itself but overall I feel Real deserved it for the relentless attacks they launched, delighted for Ancelotti, a class act of a manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

At best a dodgy decision? It was a clear penalty, no two ways about it.

As for his behaviour, I do think its ott taking off your jersey and doing a pose like that but its a Champion's league final and he had just made absolutely certain that Real were Champions. I think you have to cut any player some slack in those circumstances.

People were calling Simeone a disgrace because of his antics and I think thats very unfair too. The man lives on the edge and things like this are going to happen with him from time to time. I think you have to accept his behaviour there and just understand that all geniuses are mad. What he has done this season and last at Atletico is incredible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Ronaldo makes people feel inadequate about themselves and their lives.

Why would Ronaldo be any different to any other top class footballer? Do they all make you feel inadequate?

You don't even know him as a person :pac:

A guy that over does a celebration in the champions league final and has a fond attraction to himself.

Or

A football fan that comes onto an internet forum to hurl abuse about a footballers personality, even though he doesn't know him as a person and has never met him.

Who's the "twat"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Opinions are based on his public persona, of course, like all celebrities, we don't know him personally.

On another note, what's the beef with Pepe in this tread, did I miss something?

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    Why would Ronaldo be any different to any other top class footballer? Do they all make you feel inadequate?

The reason why people hate him is because they are vehemently jealous of him. The man has everything. He's a super human.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

You don't even know him as a person :PAC:

A guy that over does a celebration in the champions league final and has a fond attraction to himself.

Or

A football fan that comes onto an internet forum to hurl abuse about a footballers personality, even though he doesn't know him as a person and has never met him.

Who's the "twat"?

The first guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

There are thousands of players earning stupid amounts of money, with similar physiques to Ronaldo and all that, but the vast majority of them i don't dislike as i do Ronaldo.

Let's look at last nights game, he done absolutely nothing positive for his team except score a penalty when the game was already won and when Athleti had already given up, he celebrated that goal like it was a dramatic last gasp winner, was there any need to take his top off and flex his muscles? He used that goal as an excuse to do just that.

After that he continued with his disrespect by doing unnessessary stepovers, again when the game was all but over, and the numurous poses and winks at the camera after the game. Was all that really nessessary?
    I don't know much about his personal life, if he gives money to charity then i say fair play and good luck to him, but ultimately i judge him by what i see him do on the field.

The likes of Messi, Zidane, Pele etc use the pitch as a chessboard, Ronaldo uses it as a catwalk.

A big shout out has to go to Florentino Perez. He is a guy that simply makes football better. I hope he remains Real Madrid president forever. If we were to have elections to select the president of Earth, I'd vote for him.

A big shout out has to go to Florentino Perez. He is a guy that simply makes football better. I hope he remains Real Madrid president forever. If we were to have elections to select the president of Earth, I'd vote for him.

You're an odd chap but I like your moxy.

There are thousands of players earning stupid amounts of money, with similar physiques to Ronaldo and all that, but the vast majority of them i don't dislike as i do Ronaldo.

Let's look at last nights game, he done absolutely nothing positive for his team except score a penalty when the game was already won and when Athleti had already given up, he celebrated that goal like it was a dramatic last gasp winner, was there any need to take his top off and flex his muscles? He used that goal as an excuse to do just that.

After that he continued with his disrespect by doing unnessessary stepovers, again when the game was all but over, and the numurous poses and winks at the camera after the game. Was all that really nessessary?
    I don't know much about his personal life, if he gives money to charity then i say fair play and good luck to him, but ultimately i judge him by what i see him do on the field.

The difference between the likes of Messi, Zidane, Pele etc use the pitch like a chessboard, Ronaldo uses it as a catwalk.

Yes he does have to do all that. He is a character. He's like Maverick in Top Gun. People are on a mission to kick characters out of football. They want blandness that say and do nothing that makes them feel inadequate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

The difference between the likes of Messi, Zidane, Pele etc use the pitch like a chessboard, Ronaldo uses it as a catwalk.

Great line!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Yes he does have to do all that. He is a character. He's like Maverick in Top Gun. People are on a mission to kick characters out of football. They want blandness that say and do nothing that makes them feel inadequate.

A character can laugh at themselves.

I suspect Ronaldo makes a lot of people feel adequate. He makes me thankful for the fairly colourless life I lead. I count my lucky stars that I'm not surrounded by that type of "character".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

At least Ronaldo celebrated when he was about to win a trophy and not with 4 games to go ;).

The obsession about Ronaldo is crazy. Ye give out about his OTT celebration but continue to talk about him.

You hate him? That's ok, but the constant moaning and giving out about his contribution when all you do is talk about it is just too lol worthy.

• Advertisement

The reason why people hate him is because they are vehemently jealous of him. The man has everything. He's a super human.
    And why don't they hate Messi then? Why did they not hate the Brazilian Ronaldo, Ronaldinho or Zidane? These players were all Ronaldo's equal or better.

At least Ronaldo celebrated when he was about to win a trophy and not with 4 games to go ;).

The obsession about Ronaldo is crazy. Ye give out about his OTT celebration but continue to talk about him.

You hate him? That's ok, but the constant moaning and giving out about his contribution when all you do is talk about it is just too lol worthy.

If someone acts like a dick, people are likely to comment on it.

You love him? Thats ok, but the constant moaning and giving out about people who criticise his self indulgent behaviour is "just too lol worthy".

You mention obsession but throw in a dig about Liverpool :D

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

quarryman wrote: »
    Do people seriously claim Ronaldo is a better player than Messi?

OK then......

People who only look at the amount of goals people score and not actually look at games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭Sirsok

And why don't they hate Messi then? Why did they not hate the Brazilian Ronaldo, Ronaldinho or Zidane? These players were all Ronaldo's equal or better.
    No sorry you are wrong... I understand opinions and all that but no your opinion that they are equal or better then Ronaldo is wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Sirsok wrote: »
    No sorry you are wrong... I understand opinions and all that but no your opinion that they are equal or better then Ronaldo is wrong

LOL

What a great post....

• Advertisement

All very ugly people. Ronaldo Da Lima and Ronaldinho had wonky teeth, zidane a bizarre receeding hairline, Messi a Tyrion Lannister lookalike.

Sirsok wrote: »

I know you are correct but for some reason I was always more impressed watching Ronaldinho, Zidane and Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

All very ugly people. Ronaldo Da Lima and Ronaldinho had wonky teeth, zidane a bizarre receeding hairline, Messi a Tyrion Lannister lookalike.

So your opinion is it's all about his looks...

What would you rate him of out ten for his looks?

rarnes1 wrote: »
    You mention obsession but throw in a dig about Liverpool :D

No dig, its the truth

Fescue wrote: »
    If someone acts like a dick, people are likely to comment on it.

You love him? Thats ok, but the constant moaning and giving out about people who criticise his self indulgent behaviour is "just too lol worthy".

How was he acting the dick??

What was he supposed to do? Cry?

I don't love him he is not my type personally but it's fine if you do.

• Advertisement

What was he supposed to do? Cry?

I don't love him he is not my type personally but it's fine if you do.

It was just way over the top and in my opinion disrespectful to his teamates who had worked so hard to get Real back into the game. He didn't celebrate Bales goal at all which won them the game but ramped up his own celebration knowing full well the press coverage it would receive.

None of this takes away from what an extraordinary talent he is. Its just ****ty behaviour.

daRobot wrote: »
    So your opinion is it's all about his looks...

What would you rate him of out ten for his looks?

Its all part of the jealousy package.

I don't get where you are going with this? Are you suggesting that the majority of soccer fans are gay or something? Why would men think other men are good looking or better looking than them?

Fescue wrote: »
    It was just way over the top and in my opinion disrespectful to his teamates who had worked so hard to get Real back into the game. He didn't celebrate Bales goal at all which won them the game but ramped up his own celebration knowing full well the press coverage it would receive.

None of this takes away from what an extraordinary talent he is. Its just ****ty behaviour.

You have discredited yourself massively just there. Bales goal came from a counter attack when Ronaldo was in the left back position and couldn't run because of cramp. He never joined the attack. You KNOW this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

He did not celebrate the goals that put Real 2-1 or 3-1 in front.

When he scored to make it 4-1 at the end, he got interested again all of a sudden, tore off his top and stood there flexing his muscles

Club loyalties aside, do you genuinely not think that's acting like a huge dick?

You have discredited yourself massively just there. Bales goal came from a counter attack when Ronaldo was in the left back position and couldn't run because of cramp. He never joined the attack. You KNOW this.

Your Ronaldo Cramp Meter started to red line did it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Man this thread delivers

The usual suspect set of fans bashing Ronaldo because of bitterness, and the only thing they have is a celebration :pac:

Mr Alan wrote: »
    He did not celebrate the goals that put Real 2-1 or 3-1 in front.

When he scored to make it 4-1 at the end, he got interested again all of a sudden, tore off his top and stood there flexing his muscles

Club loyalties aside, do you genuinely not think that's acting like a huge dick?

I don't think celebrating winning the CL is being a dick.

He was super throughout the competition.

I be more worried if he was trying break players legs or not caring in first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Man this thread delivers

The usual suspect set of fans bashing Ronaldo because of bitterness, and the only thing they have is a celebration :pac:

:rolleyes:

Man this thread delivers

I think there are a lot of people commentating on the behaviour of Ronaldo because it was so self indulgent and then there are a lot of Ronaldo fans getting upset by it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement