Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Atletico Madrid vs Real Madrid - Champions League Final 2014 *Mod Warning Post #856

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Fescue wrote: »
    I think there are a lot of people commentating on the behaviour of Ronaldo because it was so self indulgent and then there are a lot of Ronaldo fans getting upset by it.

Upset??

More like laughing at it.

The man just won CL. Don't think few bitter posters on boards is going to upset his fan base.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I don't think celebrating winning the CL is being a dick.

He was not celebrating winning the CL, otherwise he would have celebrated after Bales/Marcellos goals, which he didn't. He was celebrating himself, he cares nothing about the team, only his own glory. It's why he'll never be near universally adored like other greats.

Plus, taking off your top & flexing your muscles so you hog the back pages barely qualifies as "celebrating"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Upset??

More like laughing at it.

The man just won CL. Don't think few bitter posters on boards is going to upset his fan base.

It seems like it has to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Mr Alan wrote: »
    He did not celebrate the goals that put Real 2-1 or 3-1 in front.

When he scored to make it 4-1 at the end, he got interested again all of a sudden, tore off his top and stood there flexing his muscles

Club loyalties aside, do you genuinely not think that's acting like a huge dick?

So basically you're making shít up to suit your argument even though it probably didn't happen

The camera panned to him celebrating Marcelos goal and I'd like you to provide some evidence of his non celebrating Bale's goal

But you won't

So basically you're making shít up to suit your argument even though it probably didn't happen

The camera panned to him celebrating Marcelos goal and I'd like you to provide some evidence of his non celebrating Bale's goal

But you won't

There was pics on this very thread last night of his lack of reaction to Bales goal.

If you're contradicting them, the only is on you to provide proof.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Its all part of the jealousy package.

Right, I got that bit.

But seemingly, you rate him in the looks department if you assume people hate him because of it.

So my previous (unanswered) question still stands : Just how good looking do you find Cristiano Ronaldo?

I find it amusing that the Ronaldo fans, who apparently seem to be ardent Utd fans also, cannot reconcile his huge talent as a player and his lack of talent as a human.

Those of us criticising his behaviour all recognise his greatness as a player.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I find it amusing that the Ronaldo fans, who apparently seem to be ardent Utd fans also,

I find this very interesting

There was pics on this very thread last night of his lack of reaction to Bales goal.

If you're contradicting them, the only is on you to provide proof.....

As I thought

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

daRobot wrote: »
    Right, I got that bit.

But seemingly, you rate him in the looks department if you assume people hate him because of it.

So my previous (unanswered) question still stands : Just how good looking do you find Cristiano Ronaldo?

Read the posts silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

How many more pages about whether Ronaldo is a dick or not do ye need lads...

On watching the 2nd half it became clear that one team never really believed they were going to win and the other never really believed they were going to lose. Real kept applying pressure and kept attacking in a structured if increasingly hectic manner. Athletico went further into their she'll and became increasingly more panic stricken in their clearances. With essential bang on 90 mind that ball came to an athletico midfielder (gabi?) and under no pressure he hoofed the ball into the stand. A pity but in the end no real surprise when the equaliser came.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Read the posts silly.

Thanks for clarifying.

As I thought

You're awful at this

Man this thread delivers

The usual suspect set of fans bashing Ronaldo because of bitterness, and the only thing they have is a celebration :pac:

And the usual fanboys coming in and arguing with the bitters.

Hilarious reading tbh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I'm a huge fan of Ronaldo as a player but I have to say he's a bit much at times as a person. He's incredibly narcissistic and I don't see that as a good trait.

• Advertisement

Just to entertain

After being wrong about Marcelo, Mr Alan now uses this picture to fuel his already halved argument
    854312078.jpg?1400967049

This is a few moments after Bale scores apparently.

A picture to prove he didn't celebrate, lol

And here is a picture of Gerrard not celebrating Liverpool's goals against City because he obviously wanted them to win the league

stoke1314home12.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Nice for Di Maria, after his years at Benfica to win his first CL in Lisbon with a man of the match performance.
    He skins two players to make the crucial Bale goal.
    Seemed to sense the full back was shagged and went for it.

He was overheard saying that it was the second greatest moment of
    his career
    (After scoring the first international goal at the Aviva stadium in Dublin, if course)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Just to entertain

After being wrong about Marcelo, Mr Alan now uses this picture to fuel his already halved argument

A picture to prove he didn't celebrate, lol

And here is a picture of Gerrard not celebrating Liverpool's goals against City because he obviously wanted them to win the league

stoke1314home12.jpg

Jesus Christ, just admit you were wrong.

Why wasn't he with the rest of the team celebrating?

If you're going to try and be funny then at least take a picture of Gerrard from the Manchester City game and not Stoke City.

Jesus Christ, just admit you were wrong.

Why wasn't he with the rest of the team celebrating?

If you're going to try and be funny then at least take a picture of Gerrard from the Manchester City game and not Stoke City.

You're making absolutely no sense, try again

You're making absolutely no sense, try again

Ok, try keep up.

That picture shows Cristiano Ronaldo not celebrating with the rest of his team mates.

Are you still with me??

Why was he not celebrating?

That's the first part of my post explained fairly simply so now on to the second part.

You were trying to be funny re picture of Gerrard not celebrating against Manchester City. The picture you posted was taken from the Stoke City game. All clear?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I find it amusing that the Ronaldo fans, who apparently seem to be ardent Utd fans also, cannot reconcile his huge talent as a player and his lack of talent as a human.

Lack of talent as a human? Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

Man this thread delivers

The usual suspect set of fans bashing Ronaldo because of bitterness, and the only thing they have is a celebration :pac:
    The only thing they have is a celebration because its the only thing he contributed in the whole game

Ok, try keep up.

That picture shows Cristiano Ronaldo not celebrating with the rest of his team mates.

Are you still with me??

Why was he not celebrating?

That's the first part of my post explained fairly simply so now on to the second part.

You were trying to be funny re picture of Gerrard not celebrating against Manchester City. The picture you posted was taken from the Stoke City game. All clear?

It shows Ronaldo over in the left back position where he'd got tackled a few minutes before so didn't get involved in the attack

I don't think you're keeping up at all

It shows Ronaldo over in the left back position where he'd got tackled a few minutes before so didn't get involved in the attack

I don't think you're keeping up at all

A few minutes?? Really?

And he was in the left back position but didn't go to celebrate while the rest of the back 4,goalkeeper, subs and staff did? What about Marcelos goal and non celebration by Ronaldo? The fanboy is strong in this one.

Have you met Ronaldo?

A few minutes?? Really?

And he was in the left back position but didn't go to celebrate while the rest of the back 4,goalkeeper, subs and staff did? What about Marcelos goal and non celebration by Ronaldo? The fanboy is strong in this one.

He celebrated after Marcelos goal, it was on tv

Ronaldo wasn't on tv for Bale's goal because he was far back after getting tackled so we don't know if he did or not, a still picture doesn't change that at all. So as I've said already, mr Alan wrong about the marcelo goal and has gone with a narrative that suits his argument for the Bale one with no evidence.

You're adding nothing to this and mr Alan has vanished after his bullshít argument was shown up

At the end of the day, you guys are crying into your craft beer to the soundtrack of Arcade Fires early stuff and it was Ronaldo that made you feel sad. This makes me happy.

Ronaldo won, Real Madrid won, The establishment won.

He was not celebrating winning the CL, otherwise he would have celebrated after Bales/Marcellos goals, which he didn't. He was celebrating himself, he cares nothing about the team, only his own glory. It's why he'll never be near universally adored like other greats.

Plus, taking off your top & flexing your muscles so you hog the back pages barely qualifies as "celebrating"

You're wrong. He did celebrate after Marcelos goal.

Taking off his shirt and flexing his muscled really is something minor.

Make sure you have "proof" next time now ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Without bringing Liverpool into it, I wonder had Daniel Sturridge done that stupid,arrogant celebration of his after scoring the fourth goal in the last minute of a 4-1 win, would there be half the furore over it?

I don't think there would. And he wouldn't exactly be humble himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Does every single thread in here have to descend into a Manchester United vs Liverpool crapfest? Give it a rest!

• Advertisement

On the game itself.

Felt Madrid tactics in first half were awful.

Better in 2nd.

Feel sorry for Atletico, but they won league and it's been excellent season for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Without bringing Liverpool into it, I wonder had Daniel Sturridge done that stupid,arrogant celebration of his after scoring the fourth goal in the last minute of a 4-1 win, would there be half the furore over it?

I don't think there would. And he wouldn't exactly be humble himself.

Well then don't. Please.
    Does every single thread in here have to descend into a Manchester United vs Liverpool crapfest? Give it a rest!

Report the posts and let the mods do the moderation.

Liverpool or United have nothing to do with this thread.

Now let's talk some football and less of celebrations. If ye can't do that then the thread will be locked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Annoyed that Real won but with a 4-1 score line you cant argue against that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I really like Ronaldo as a player these days and was happy to see real win, but he was clearly being a dick last night. I don't get why United fans feel the need to fall over themselves to justify his actions, it's a strange trait with a lot of football fans that they pick a side in someone or something and don't ever let anything that challenges that view be acknowledged. Does it mean he's always like that and is an awful person, no, but it means that in this instance the way he acted was poor form.

The main issue I have with it is that it takes the limelight away from the likes of Di Maria, who was absolutely brilliant last night when bale and Ronaldo weren't really at the races.

AdamD wrote: »
    Lack of talent as a human? Wow.

Yeah thats a bit too much from me but was meant more in terms of his character on a football pitch, which is all I have to judge him on. Certainly he lacks humility. That's a fantastic quality in my book.

Pictures of Gerrard in a Madrid derby superthread. Says it all

EDIT Only see your warning after this post Mars Bar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Stop making me like Man City even more lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Delighted for Ronaldo.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭jimmurt

Scoring in what is annually one of the biggest sporting occasions in the world is a fairly big deal to be fair.

And as for people calling football soft, the level of skill required at the very top level is streets ahead of the likes of rugby.

I agree with you on the skill levels but what's that got to do with being hard/soft?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭jimmurt

Did I hear it right that Ronaldo is only the second player in European Cup history to score in the final for two different clubs?

Ballon D'Or with two different clubs, CL with two different clubs. Scored in as many CL finals as Messi and has same number of medals. Record number of goals in one CL season.

Yes, he didn't play well tonight and he maybe over-celebrated his goal, but it's hard to argue against his stats. Done without the relative stability that Messi enjoyed during Barca's peak too.

Messi has 3 CL medals.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Have you met Ronaldo?

You don't need to meet the man to see how narcissisticly dickheadish he behaves on the football pitch. Maybe he's nice as pie when he's doing other things, maybe he's not. What's beyond doubt, and what is so bizarre for people to try to deny, is that during football games he chooses to behave like a self involved knob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

You don't even know him as a person :pac:

A guy that over does a celebration in the champions league final and has a fond attraction to himself.

Or

A football fan that comes onto an internet forum to hurl abuse about a footballers personality, even though he doesn't know him as a person and has never met him.

Who's the "twat"?

You must be very sensitive if you think that is "hurling abuse at a player". Of course I don't know him personally, any more than you do and maybe he isn't a twat, but what he displayed last night was twatish behaviour.

Like I have already said, I don't care that it was Ronaldo, I don't watch the Spanish league, I have no affiliations with any of the rival teams and to be honest this is the first time I have seen him play in a good few years. My only problem with him last night was with his behaviour and I would say the same thing about any other player who did the same thing, even if they were from a team I support or cared about one way or another.

I just don't understand why so many people are taking any criticism of him so personally?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Players are twats for celebrating goals, well there you go.

Yet you never ever hear of any of his team mates or managers criticise him. You know, the people that actually know him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Ronaldo can be a bit much at times but it amazes me how some people get so annoyed by it. I know it's not exactly the same, but Zlatan is loved for his arrogance yet it's the opposite with Ronaldo. Fact is that arrogance he has is part of what makes him so good. The audacity to try certain things, and his belief that he is the best is what drives him on to be as good as he is.

Anyway, not going to get sucked into the debate again but a couple of things said here amazed me. Someone actually criticised him for celebrating and winking at the camera after the game, for winning the champions league! And the comment about him as a human was incredible. Some people seem to have difficulty separating the player and the man. None of us know him, but if you search a bit you can find many examples that he's actually quite a decent human. Some people just don't like him which is fair enough, no point in trying to change their minds, I just find some of the comments a bit ott.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭carraig2

Annoyed that Real won but with a 4-1 score line you cant argue against that.

But they were seconds away from a 1-0 defeat too. From almost certain defeat to triumphant victory in a half hour. Some drama.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

jimmurt wrote: »
    I agree with you on the skill levels but what's that got to do with being hard/soft?

Because people always use the "footballers are so soft" cliché as a stick to bash the sport with. By nature the sport is not near as rough as other sports but that hardly takes away from it.

Rugby players are naturally bigger and tougher as that is what is required to excel in the sport.

It's like saying "Golfers are so slow". It has nothing to do with their performance in the sport.

What do people think of Costa starting the game? If Costa said he was fit to play and passed a late fitness test then it's very hard for Simeone to not start him. But that 3rd sub could've been so crucial for the last 15-20 mins of normal time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

shrewdness wrote: »
    Ronaldo can be a bit much at times but it amazes me how some people get so annoyed by it. I know it's not exactly the same, but Zlatan is loved for his arrogance yet it's the opposite with Ronaldo. Fact is that arrogance he has is part of what makes him so good. The audacity to try certain things, and his belief that he is the best is what drives him on to be as good as he is.

Anyway, not going to get sucked into the debate again but a couple of things said here amazed me. Someone actually criticised him for celebrating and winking at the camera after the game, for winning the champions league! And the comment about him as a human was incredible. Some people seem to have difficulty separating the player and the man. None of us know him, but if you search a bit you can find many examples that he's actually quite a decent human. Some people just don't like him which is fair enough, no point in trying to change their minds, I just find some of the comments a bit ott.

I can't stand either of them, that "dare to Zlatan" is such nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

YayaBanana wrote: »
    I can't stand either of them, that "dare to Zlatan" is such nonsense.

Gotta love that man :D

Man I could find so many celebrations from this season alone that were on par but not a word was said, not even taking into account the significance of a champions league final.

It's really embarrassing that they jumped on it.

Anyway fair play to Ronaldo, Ancelotti and Madrid. Deserved to win

• Advertisement
Advertisement