Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro d'Italia Stage 10 – May 20th, Modena - Salsomaggiore 173km **Unmasked Spoilers**

Options
  • 19-05-2014 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭

Stage 10 – Tuesday May 20th, Modena - Salsomaggiore 173km (*)

Flat as a pancake for 164km, then a small bump followed by a few twists and turns!

Map:

tappa_dettagli_tecnici_planimetria_10.jpg?v=20140508173137

Profile:

tappa_dettagli_tecnici_altimetria_10.jpg?v=20140508173130

Last kms:

ukm_10.jpg?v=%3C!--%20[an%20error%20occurred%20while%20processing%20this%20directive]%20%20--%3E

Weather - Modena: Sunshine and clouds mixed. High 25C. Winds light and variable. Salsomaggiore: Partly cloudy. High near 24C. Winds light and variable.

Stage Betting: Nacer Bouhanni 11/8; Luka Mezgec 4/1; Giacomo Nizzolo 5/1; Elia Vivani 7/1.

Live TV coverage on Eurosport1 from 1.30pm. Highlights on Sky Sports 3 at 9pm and Eurosport1 at 10.30pm.

Live text ticker here.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Chris Horner for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭antogz1979

Nizzola for me, he just needs to get his positioning right, Ferrari for an outside bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

swift might be suited by the lump at the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

That is the flattest stage I have ever seen in my life.......
    It's got long day written all over it
    Any chance of any wind to spice it up a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Going to be a sprinters Stage with all the GC contenders and their teams doing sweet FA.

I'm going to say that it will be Vivianni followed by Bouhani and Nizzolo. It would be poetic though if Roberto Ferrari wins the stage starting off in the home of Ferrari.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Whats the point of these pan flat stages? Sounds like, unless there is cross winds, it will all come down to the last couple of Kms

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Ultegra

Maybe the peleton will miscalulate their calculayshin and breakway stays away to the finish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Ultegra wrote: »
    Maybe the peleton will miscalulate their calculayshin and breakway stays away to the finish

I wouldn't be making any predictions like that at this stage. I think the wise thing to do is to just play the waiting game and see how things are panning out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Normally the stage following a rest day is lightning quick.... so at least the peloton should get to the finish quicker.....

Manuel Quinziato is well rested anyway. He tweeted:
    Slept 10h the night before rest day, 2h in the afternoon + 10h this night = 22h. Today 1st stage of @giroditalia for me! #reset hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

Swfity today. the left and rights into the town and out to the finish are very like the Dublin finish. The road gently rises to the finish if you look at it on Google Maps. Couple of very dodgy roundabouts as well one only 1 km from the finish. Swift then Viviani and Mezgec -

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I know these stages are required and you cant go up and down mountains every day but they aren't half boring...

They could make these alot shorter ...there is no need for such a long flat stage

Might be better if shorter and also throw in a second category climb 20km from end with a downhill and flat run in....might mix it up a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

MPFG wrote: »
    They could make these a lot shorter ...there is no need for such a long flat stage
    Careful now!

If they didn't have to ride their bikes for 4-5 hours before the sprint, the sprint wouldn't be the same sort of test.

Lumen wrote: »
    Careful now!

If they didn't have to ride their bikes for 4-5 hours before the sprint, the sprint wouldn't be the same sort of test.

In fact just let the sprinters start at 10km to go and see who wins ..and the rest can watch from the stands :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

nico??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Roche to the front for some reason

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Roche to the front for some reason

Never afraid of a sprint

Sky did great to up the tempo and then lose the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

retalivity wrote: »
    nico??

Is it just me or does he do these half-arsed attacks that within 1k he's back
    in the pack? :confused:

Roche just got ****ed into the barriers in that crash!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Big crash at 700m

Is it just me or does he do these half-arsed attacks that within 1k he's back
    in the pack? :confused:

It was never a fully fledged attack. I think he was hedging his bets that skys upping the pace broke up the peloton and he'd be in a front group.

Roche just got ****ed into the barriers in that crash!

It wasn't him! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

It was never a fully fledged attack. I think he was hedging his bets that skys upping the pace broke up the peloton and he'd be in a front group.

I get ya. But isnt it like the 3rd time he's done it just in this race alone?

I think its very inconsiderate of him not to let me know on twitter first not to get
    excited that he's just moving ahead to let off a fart or something rather than subject
    the lads in the pack to it etc. my 2c :P

Second time I think, although today's one was even more half arsed then the previous one I think. Tomorrow could be his day though ;) GC lads will have sights set on the following day.

I think Nico is testing his form TBH....I think in his training he has increased his turn of speed on smaller climbs ...can see that but not going to win from that far out unless there is a break

But I guess nothing ventured etc

Better than sitting around feeling sorry for your self I suppose

He did look back alot so maybe he expected Rafal Majka to come with him out of danger ???

Evans is so lucky at every crash......maybe lucky enough to win it

Looked like Tyler Farrar fell first

Looked like Tyler Farrar fell first

He hasn't crashed in a couple of days so he was due one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

He hasn't crashed in a couple of days so he was due one :D

In hindsight it's probably better Dan crashed out on day one. He'd be in some state by now.

Yannick Eussen was a DNF. First rider from BMC to drop out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

They could make these alot shorter ...there is no need for such a long flat stage

Might be better if shorter and also throw in a second category climb 20km from end with a downhill and flat run in....might mix it up a bit

I think they should make them blow into a machine every morning and the one with the biggest Vo2 max wins the stage. Or stick them on a watt bike for 10 mins and measure their watts if it's a tt stage

Advertisement