Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transition Year Subject Choices

Options
  • 19-05-2014 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

We got our options form for TY issued today and it has to be filled in and returned by Friday. We have to do 14 core subjects and pick 4 choice subjects from the following 9:

Home Ec
    French
    German
    Drawing and Design (Tgraph/DCG/Metalwork combination)
    Construction
    Drama
    Modern Dance:rolleyes:
    History
    Geography

I was looking for peoples' opinions on this. Would it be a bad idea for me NOT to do French this year, try out the stuff that looks a bit more fun for TY such as Home Ec, Drawing and Design, and Drama, and then take up French again in 5th year?

I like French, and I'm good enough at it (got a B in the Mocks), and I have the full intention of doing it for LC, its just there's a possibility I could end up with the school's really useless French teacher (we only have 2) and nurture a hate for the subject and regret taking French for TY.

There's only one 5th year French class and the "good" teacher always teaches it. The "useless" teacher only gets First Years and TY's, possibly because they are seen as less important. I know it's not the best criteria for choosing subjects, but I don't want to crush my admiration for the subject.

Or do ye think I'll forget everything if I give it a miss for TY and come back to fifth year not knowing what "Je m'appelle " means?

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Beca19

Nearly everyone I know who did TY said they forgot so much of their language (French/Spanish/German) in TY, our French teacher told us it was like teaching first years again when they all got back into 5th year! But I think it comes back to everyone in a few weeks and most people will be in the same boat as you.. It probably won't make that much of a difference, if you really think you'll end up hating French don't do it! But try keep it up at home maybe or do a French revision course before you go back into 5th year maybe? I think Yeats and some other places do like summer camps. Or even one of those French exchanges would probably be more beneficial than the classes in ty, if you can afford it.
    I've no experience with this this is just what I've heard, the people that claimed to have forgotten everything after TY still did grand in their LC french tho!

Advertisement