Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

OK to turn off gas at the mains for Summer?

• 19-05-2014 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just wanted to check if its ok to turn off the main gas valve outside the house for the summer to avoid the pilot light usage?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭shane 007

burly wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just wanted to check if its ok to turn off the main gas valve outside the house for the summer to avoid the pilot light usage?

Cheers
    What is the appliance? Having a pilot should be able to be shut off at the appliance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

A new boiler might be worth considering , no pilot light & more than 90% efficient

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Wharf make and model ?

The vast majority of boilers for years have electronic ignition when the boiler switches on. NO perement pilot light burning gas 24/7

Old type you can turn off pilot at boiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭burly

scudo2 wrote: »
    Wharf make and model ?

The vast majority of boilers for years have electronic ignition when the boiler switches on. NO perement pilot light burning gas 24/7

Old type you can turn off pilot at boiler.

Yeh its an old type, 15 year old Myson Apollo still going strong!

I was on here a few weeks back looking for advice on what the likely efficiency of it is, as I was trying to calculate the payback if I upgraded.

Il check the boiler for a pilot light switch.

Yeh its an old type, 15 year old Myson Apollo still going strong!

I was on here a few weeks back looking for advice on what the likely efficiency of it is, as I was trying to calculate the payback if I upgraded.

Il check the boiler for a pilot light switch.
    No perement pilot light on a Apollo.
    It's electronic = No gas wastage .

• Advertisement

No perement pilot light on a Apollo.
    It's electronic = No gas wastage .

Sorry but I am not blind, I can see the pilot light on through the spy-hole, and the boiler is off!

Its a Myson Apollo 40B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭MiniGolf

Sorry but I am not blind, I can see the pilot light on through the spy-hole, and the boiler is off!

Its a Myson Apollo 40B.

Yours does of course have a permanent pilot - The later version has electronic ignition.
    You need to access the gas valve - to the left of the Hi-Lo switch near the bottom of the boiler. If I remember correctly there is a green "switch" with an arrow on it. Slide this in the direction of the arrow and that should turn the pilot off.
    Here is a link to the manual: http://www.ultimatehandyman.org/PDF/Myson/Myson-Apollo-40B-Installation-manual-41-789-79.pdf
    To re-light the boiler follow the instructions in section 14 - Paragraph 2.
    DO NOT ATTEMPT PARAGRAPH 1 or any subsequent paragraphs.

Its a Myson Apollo 40B.
    I must have looked up the wrong Apollo, apologies.
    This is the first mention from you with
    40B

I must have looked up the wrong Apollo, apologies.
    This is the first mention from you with
    40B

Not a problem, thank you for taking the time to reply!

MiniGolf wrote: »
    Yours does of course have a permanent pilot - The later version has electronic ignition.
    You need to access the gas valve - to the left of the Hi-Lo switch near the bottom of the boiler. If I remember correctly there is a green "switch" with an arrow on it. Slide this in the direction of the arrow and that should turn the pilot off.
    Here is a link to the manual: http://www.ultimatehandyman.org/PDF/Myson/Myson-Apollo-40B-Installation-manual-41-789-79.pdf
    To re-light the boiler follow the instructions in section 14 - Paragraph 2.
    DO NOT ATTEMPT PARAGRAPH 1 or any subsequent paragraphs.

Thanks very much!

• Advertisement
Advertisement