Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Customs Operation This Evening

Options
  • 19-05-2014 6:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭

Was driving home tonight and was shocked to see Customs pulling cars to check for agricultural diesel, in a very residential area. In ten years living in D15 it's the first time I've seen such a thing. My car is petrol and fully legal but it looked as if they had one or two pulled over who were in trouble ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,003 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

athtrasna wrote: »
    Was driving home tonight and was shocked to see Customs pulling cars to check for agricultural diesel, in a very residential area. In ten years living in D15 it's the first time I've seen such a thing. My car is petrol and fully legal but it looked as if they had one or two pulled over who were in trouble ;)

Have seen them on more than one occasion. Ongar distribution road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

They usually do a few checkpoints a year. I have seen them in Ongar and the back roads to the airport just before the texaco garage at the back of Corduff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

This was on Auburn Avenue which I thought was a strange location

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Wonder how many they caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I've seen them a few times on the Snugborough Rd

• Advertisement

The Gardai in Dublin 15 seem to be amazing when it comes to crimes which incur a fine.
    When it comes to break ins, muggins, murder, not so good as they are understaffed :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

This was Customs, part of Revenue not the Gardai

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

The Gardai in Dublin 15 seem to be amazing when it comes to crimes which incur a fine.
    When it comes to break ins, muggins, murder, not so good as they are understaffed :rolleyes:
    What does this thread have to do with Gardai?

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Drove by and seen a northern reg pulled in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

The last time I seen them at that was in Clonee,
    There was a huge amount of them in the Mcdonalds pub car park - They couldn't do there operation because of a crash at the junction to Clonsilla.
    I'd say they were snapping that the crash happened, there was about 40 of them just sitting there waiting for the crash to be cleared up :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

athtrasna wrote: »

Its happened on the Ongar road a few times

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Drove by and seen a northern reg pulled in

< SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

vandriver wrote: »
    What does this thread have to do with Gardai?
    The connection is "enforcement" - Customs does it but Gardai don't.

I wrote to Leo Varadkar suggesting that the Dept of Transport (or Dept of Env or Gardai) find untaxed cars via computer - simply search for all expired motor tax discs where an 'off the road' form was not completed. They can also search for all expired NCT discs. Then send out the fines. No one even has to get off their chair. They do that in Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Its not just agricultural, its laundered diesel too, they run a purity test to see if its the real deal.

By checking a number of vehicles in a specific area & finding some with 'unpure' diesel, they can often triangulate back to the source, thats often why you see them in residential areas.

When this stuff may have been innocently purchased at full price its good that they are trying to track it - I know its a revenue leak from their perspective, but that stuff can do huge damage to an engine

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The Customs operations seem to go in waves, Ive noticed a spate of check points before, targetting foreign regs for overstaying the limits and not re-regging and paying the duties. Seems to have started up again recently. In fairness it works though, the number of eastern european and Uk plate cars driving around D15 for months on end has dried up to almost none.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Gate Automation

because foreign decide stay longer and they buy care here ;) Anyway if you work here you should pay tax here.

Customs check diesel on my company VAN on Ongar distribution road few days ago ;)

Advertisement