Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tti tcb660

Options
  • 19-05-2014 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

Hello all, I have just bought a tti tab 660 cb radio for the van. Trying to reset it to work on AM with no luck. Bought it in maplin. Does anyone know anything about them? Any help appreciated .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

don't have the rig myself, looking at pics online - what digits do you see on the display? There's a button that says "am/fm" what happens, when you press that?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Its a reasonably basic CB.
    Whats happening (assuming you've assembled it, have the power connected, antenna etc.
    If it actually powers up- but you can't hear anything- look at basics- could you have the squelch on full for example........

Its actually a really really simple radio to use- if its not working- there is probably a fundamental reason why- go through the basics, one by one.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Found this here:
    How do you change the Frequency Band to the UK band?

1 ... With the radio switched off, press and hold both the "AM/FM" and "SCAN" buttons whilst turning on the radio
    2 ... After the radio switches on, let go of the held buttons - the current frequency band code will show on the display

3 ... Select the UK code by going up or down through the available codes with the channel change buttons

4 ... Press the "AM/FM" button to confirm and store the selected band code

If you go abroad, this is the procedure you should use to choose the apprpriate frequency band for where you are travelling.

I presume the set is currently in UK mode, and your AM/FM switch is actually switching between the UK FM channels and the European FM channels. Try the procedure above to see if you can change the mode as described. What should happen is that in Euro mode (or whatever it is called), it stays on the European channels (26.965 to 27.405MHz) but the AM/FM switch actually switches modes between AM and FM.

If you bought this new here from Maplin, it really should have been set to the correct mode for Ireland.

YouTube clip with more info:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70ETkK2JBEw

And more.....
    http://www.cbforumas.lt/upload/manuals/tti/tcb_660_um.pdf

Pages 11 and 12 of the manual list the modes and how to select them. You're looking for EU here.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

Thanks everyone, I got it sorted after a bit of research. I have it set to EU and on AM, is this right for Ireland?? Only reason I ask is I'm not hearing any activity on channel 19 ( truckers channel, yes??).

If I have the squelch set correctly, what should I be hearing??

I must check my swr at the weekend, this could also be a problem

Thanks everyone, I'm new to this so all help aporeciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

AM is 1/4 power usually of FM or SSB. I didn't think anyone used AM any more.

I don't know lads but I was told by more than one person that AM was the norm in ireland

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

watty wrote: »
    I didn't think anyone used AM any more.

I didn't think anyone used CBs anymore!

Joking aside, I'd say most activity that you would hear on those channels would still be AM. There were TONS of old AM 40 channel sets knocking about, and not many people moved to FM when it became the legal mode.

Thanks a million for all your replies, I think I have it sorted now, just to double check the SWR and I should be away.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭sensormatic

ch19 am is always used by the truckers just give a shout out we will have our ears on for ya

• Advertisement

Will do cheers.

How would a fella go about starting a chat on a cb, I don't want to make a donkey of myself on air??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

take a look here - http://fldx.org/site/11m-dx-howto.php

relax and enjoy the hobby

Advertisement