Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camper recommendation?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Well according to google cache they were selling a 2008 2.2 boxer camper in galway in november for €30000, a 2008 2.3 boxer in newbridge in february for €24000, and now this 'ducato' for €24500, I'd like to know where all the vans are coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Thanks, They're selling an 06 6 berth as well.

No idea about the seller, hopefully someone has some pointers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Just a couple of items.....
    1. Compass Motorhomes are usually built on the Peugeot Boxer base, rather than the Ducato. I know its just a badge on the grill....
    2. The overhang is very long, and with the bike rack you could easily overload the rear axle. You could have a rather floaty rear when driving on poor roads
    3. The Compass Avantgarde 120 has small water tanks (45L according to Google) meaning that multiple days wild camping is out. Generally English vans are designed for being on sites, while continental vans are set up better for wild camping (Just decide what you want)
    4. Its a two berth only, with one bed. Its NOT a family van, but designed for two people.
    5. Buy with your nose!. The killer is rotting timbers in the rear so look for signs (or smells) of dampness. Check behind window curtains, etc and bring a dampmeter if you can find them.
    6. Check if all the manuals and equipment paperwork is there. Generally they should all be in the manufacturer's bag still.

Price is a fraction low. I've seen the same model at GB£24k from large dealers in the UK.

Great points, thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

That overhang is huge as the other poster pointed out. You could take out a small village with the tail swing! On a serious note with a bit of weight and the back dropped down a bit you may have issues getting up and down steep slopes, ferry ramps for example.

Moomat wrote: »
    That overhang is huge as the other poster pointed out. You could take out a small village with the tail swing! On a serious note with a bit of weight and the back dropped down a bit you may have issues getting up and down steep slopes, ferry ramps for example.

Or have traction issues a damp leaf! The Ducato/Boxer isn't noted for its traction with a loaded rear end. Camping tyres help with the traction but they are hard to get, expensive and dont work miracles..

I'd sacrifice step height to RWD any day.

Ok. So the criteria has changed slightly.

Must be a Ducato (I know the boxer and relay are the same, but bizzarely this is a requirement for further down the road)
    Needs a double bed at floor level
    Swivel seats if possible
    4 berth or 2 considered
    Must be newer than 06
    Max budget €26k
    Aircon not important
    Needs to be RHD
    Needs door on the left.
    Needs a compliance plate (for possible future export to Australia)
    Getting the vibe that uk built stuff isn't as good?

Any ideas would be welcome. Open to UK stuff if its any cheaper/better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

You sit higher up so have a much better view of the road I'd still look at LHD

• Advertisement

The way that we have always bought was to decide on the layout that suited first of all (fixed Island bed, fixed corner bed, dining arrangements, bathroom size/location etc) then looked at equipment (oven, fridge/freezer size, water tank size, insulation thickness, cab equipment, storage locations etc). Once we had a shortlist it was to go find them and look at them.

As regard for English vans versus continental vans it's more what you want. If you spent most of the time on a campsite there is nothing wrong with the english vans. They have their own style. The continental vans are more set up for wild camping but are more "spartan" than UK vans

As for possible export to Australia, haven't a clue I'm afraid what a compliance plate is!

You sit higher up so have a much better view of the road I'd still look at LHD

Not an option I'm afraid. LHD stuff can't be permanently registered where this is eventually destined for.

Spartan and solid is good. Luxury not needed

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

Be very careful handing that amount of money to somebody from a small ad's website. I've read before that quite a few stolen uk high end uk campers make their way to Ireland.
    Could you buy in the uk and keep on uk plates till you export? I know alot of NI campers are insured through the South so shouldn't be a problem if you could get an address.
    Don't know what prices are like Ireland v UK but the VRT would be pretty high.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Why does it Have to be a Fiat ? I'm a Fiat fan , but the Relay/Boxer/Duke are all the same? you can get a Boxer/Relay Duke with the 2.2 Ford engine , or the 2.3/3.0 Fiat engines .

For a MH like that , I wouldn't consider a RWD . Unless you spend mega money , there's no Transit , sprinter or VW that drives as sweet as a Ducato or Renault Master .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

RHD machines will always have the door on the left, and verse versa.

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    Why does it Have to be a Fiat ? I'm a Fiat fan , but the Relay/Boxer/Duke are all the same? you can get a Boxer/Relay Duke with the 2.2 Ford engine , or the 2.3/3.0 Fiat engines .

For a MH like that , I wouldn't consider a RWD . Unless you spend mega money , there's no Transit , sprinter or VW that drives as sweet as a Ducato or Renault Master .

Apparently pug and citroen have no dealer network in oz, and the authorities (who are supposed to be unreal fussy) are more used to registering fiats.

I wouldn't consider a RWD . Unless you spend mega money , there's no Transit , sprinter or VW that drives as sweet as a Ducato or Renault Master .

Yeah they're comfy vans alright. Not so great at climbing off the tarmac or pulling outtov sand and mud. Maybe it's just me that appreciates that.

In my limited experience I find RWD more reliable and easier to service. If you try make the same wheels do everything then you get faster mechanical wear.
    Front's for steering, rear for driving...and sometimes steering. Just my €0.02.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    RHD machines will always have the door on the left, and verse versa.

No they most certainly Always don't!! Only UK built ones , not European built RHDs.

Yeah they're comfy vans alright. Not so great at climbing off the tarmac or pulling outtov sand and mud. Maybe it's just me that appreciates that.

In my limited experience I find RWD more reliable and easier to service. If you try make the same wheels do everything then you get faster mechanical wear.
    Front's for steering, rear for driving...and sometimes steering. Just my €0.02.

Maybe on "proper" Mercs of your preference Liam , ie ones built by engineers not accountants... The newer stuff is soft . I get more problems , and usually more expensive ones , from Transits and Sprinters , than from Fiat types.

Maybe on "proper" Mercs of your preference Liam , ie ones built by engineers not accountants... The newer stuff is soft . I get more problems , and usually more expensive ones , from Transits and Sprinters , than from Fiat types.

I know the OP is looking for a machine from 06 onwards, but there is much to recommend a good old fashioned,mechanical pump turbo diesel, without the electronic gubbins . I farm, and the amount of problems caused by the latest generation diesel engine managment systems in new tractors is unreal.

And if you are planning to head of to Oz and into less travelled areas, do you need something that has to be plugged into diagnostics?

• Advertisement

No they most certainly Always don't!! Only UK built ones , not European built RHDs.

Apologies, just hadn't come across one.

Yeah I get a lot of company Sprinters now and again; they're great motors when they work but they're built of recycled rust and there's always something the matter.
    I always get a shock getting out of one and into mine at the heaviness of the clutch and the lack of pep. Never seen a 15yo sprinter still going though.
    When I say reliable I mean gets you home, I do spend at least a month every year under mine.

Here's a good argument (25% down page) for RWD if anyone's interested...probably not the target market in the least though.

I know the OP is looking for a machine from 06 onwards, but there is much to recommend a good old fashioned,mechanical pump turbo diesel, without the electronic gubbins . I farm, and the amount of problems caused by the latest generation diesel engine managment systems is unreal.

And if you are planning to head of to Oz and into less travelled areas, do you need something that has to be plugged into diagnostics?

Has to be post 06 to get registered there.

Would you think of getting something over there lots of lovely hilux campers over there. You'd have a much easier time getting parts and servicing and they'll come pre australianised with roo bars, snorkel etc.

December 2013 car sales:
    Toyota 19,610
    Ford 6,872
    Fiat 758

Proper camper needed. All the proper campers over there are European and a LOT more expensive than here.

Off topic, but curious. Obviously a camper will not fit into a container, so it would have to go onto a top or open deck, how much would it cost to ship to Australia?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭E30i

Off topic, but curious. Obviously a camper will not fit into a container, so it would have to go onto a top or open deck, how much would it cost to ship to Australia?

Road trip overland?

E30i wrote: »
    Road trip overland?

You'd have it worn out by the time you got to Shanghai, or India or wherever the ship sails from...:)

There was a guy around cork waterford buying up old lexus petrols and shipping them out, worthless here and going silly money in aus I thought it was easy money but it looks like theres a bit more than just shipping involved:

Vehicle import application
    Shipping cost
    Marine shipping insurance
    Australian Duty & Entry Fees
    Port & Statutory Charges
    Transport to Depot
    Depot Charges
    Australian Quarantine Inspection Services
    Customs and AQUIS formalities
    Valuation of Vehicle

Then blue for slip:
    Transport by tilt tray (Warf to mechanic)
    Admin Costs at Mechanic & Secure storage
    Blue slip for imported vehicle

Personal Import Plate
    Visual inspection unit (VIU) at RTA
    Registration Fee
    Motor Vehicle Tax
    Stamp Duty
    Compulsory Third party insurance

http://www.pistonheads.com/Gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=526846&mid=0&nmt=Importing+a+car+to+Australia+-+All+the+facts...+Hopefully!

• Advertisement
Advertisement