Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ryan Giggs Retires

• 19-05-2014 8:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Surprised this doesn't have a thread. I know there is other big news, especially in his own club but after the career he has had I think it is merited.

Whatever about his off field exploits he has had a terrific and unique on field odyssey.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Great servant to the club. People are going to crap on here about his brother and all that, probably why nobody made a thread earlier.
    Best of luck to him, I'm out of here now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

Great servant. Great player. Brilliant!

No doubt extremely fortunate to have served under Fergie for almost the entirety of it. Perfect timing really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Inb4 the ABU's come crawling all over this thread like the Van Gaal thread. Fantastic player ans servant to Man Utd. Just a shame he never got to do it on the international stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Who cares if he done sex to his brothers wife? Its not like its illegal.

A player I grew up hating because he was so good.

He deserves every accolade he receives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Unbelievable career to be fair. Definitely a future Utd manager (again)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Fantastic player, him, Becks, Neville & Scholes really were an amazing generation.

A complete Wizard, as a Gunner respectfully disliked him after the wonder goal in the FA Cup. A true legend of the game one that we'll talk to the grand kids about

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Still a few years of Junior C in him yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

Never a better time to post this.

Ayq9CMuCYAARoH2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Ayq9CMuCYAARoH2.jpg

What did Roy Keane say about him again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Those things are so ****ing cringe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

niallo27 wrote: »
    What did Roy Keane say about him again.

Don't know. Why don't you enlighten us?

glued wrote: »
    Don't know. Why don't you enlighten us?

Having a great career doesn't make you a great player. Not my opinion I must add.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Ayq9CMuCYAARoH2.jpg

10 community shields lol ......scraping the barrel there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

Remove the 10 community shields and he has still won more than the other two.

If your counting a community shield then why ignore the uefa cup.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

great player. My favorite player growing up. Dont think we will see the likes of him, Zanette or Maldani again. Players who represent their clubs and whoeses clubs wont be the same without them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Not gonna go into too big a rant or follow this up with any more posts having a go, but he is not a legend and does not deserve a tribute thread for obvious reasons. Nasty man with little to no loyalty, regardless of how others might try portray that.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

godtabh wrote: »
    great player. My favorite player growing up. Dont think we will see the likes of him, Zanette or Maldani again. Players who represent their clubs and whoeses clubs wont be the same without them.

I think we will. There's plenty of players out there who have only been at one club for most of their career. It's an anomaly but there are still players out there like him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Remove the 10 community shields and he has still won more than the other two.

so has nicky butt so using your logic he is a bigger "legend" than both gerrard or lampard...

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

It should say 13 premier leagues

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

CSF wrote: »
    Not gonna go into too big a rant or follow this up with any more posts having a go, but he is not a legend and does not deserve a tribute thread for obvious reasons. Nasty man with little to no loyalty, regardless of how others might try portray that.

No loyalty? He's had the same job for over twenty years. Is there anyone on here who's still in the same job since before Giggs made his debut?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Is he the last of that group that came through?

Going to be weird not seeing him at all next season, on the pitch at least. Great player and a legend regardless of how many trophies he did or didn't win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

No loyalty? He's had the same job for over twenty years. Is there anyone on here who's still in the same job since before Giggs made his debut?

No, but there's probably plenty of people who haven't shagged their brothers missus in the last 20 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

A joy to watch when in full flow,my favourite memories of him will prob be from around 1993 when himself and Lee Sharpe caused havoc for their opposing full backs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Who cares if he done sex to his brothers wife? Its not like its illegal.

You'd think it was the way people go on about Terry. People do love their double standards though.

Wonder how the conversation went and who made the decision? He did say a couple of weeks ago he'd play on if he got a contract did he not? I'd have thought he was capable of another year as backup. Playing maybe 20 games. Bit crap if he wanted too but they wouldn't give it to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

It should say 13 premier leagues

Lots of them were won when it was the premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

No, but there's probably plenty of people who haven't shagged their brothers missus in the last 20 years.

Right, that's your business how?

There's a showbiz and gossip forum on here isn't there? We're talking about the most decorated footballer of the Premier League era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

As we are in the soccer forum talking about Giggs' football career, what he did outside of football is irrelevant really isn't it

Excellent career, 13 PL medals, 2 champions leagues, superb player, tore teams apart for a long time

Bítching and moaning about what he did outside football would look at home in a thread in the celebrity forum IMO :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Ech, thread a wreck already.

An amazing career, really amazing.

Hate the phrase 'servant to the club' though and talk of loyalty. There are plenty of amazing things Giggs has done and achieved without people acting like he sacrificed so much for it or was on a humanitarian mission or something

An amazing career and you'll probably never see the likes again from an outfield player.

Would maybe Casillas come close to him in terms of trophies eventually?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

It's a bit easier to be "loyal" when you're playing for arguably the best club in the world, and being very well paid for it. Where else was Giggs going to go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

CSF wrote: »

Is saying Giggs isnt a legend cause of his off-field antics not the same as saying Suarez isnt an excellent footballer cause of his past indiscretions :confused:

He should have retired years ago. Did he add anything to the team in the last five years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

He should have retired years ago. Did he add anything to the team in the last five years.

Added plenty to his medal collection...

I wouldn't class him as a legend myself. I wouldn't have him in top 10 of utd players in the 15 or so years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

One of the best managers ever, who was also fairly ruthless about getting rid of people, seemed to think so.

I'm sure you're right though.

gosplan wrote: »
    One of the best managers ever, who was also fairly ruthless about getting rid of people, seemed to think so.

He was ruthless with people that steped out of line. Giggs was a model professional was he not. I'm sure your right though.

I like how Keane has become the go to man for opinions on Ryan Giggs.
    Suppose he was talking out of his arse when he said Gerrard was "a good player, not a great player" :rolleyes:

I like how Keane has become the go to man for opinions on Ryan Giggs.
    Suppose he was talking out of his arse when he said Gerrard was "a good player, not a great player" :rolleyes:

Would you have giggs in your top 5 or even top 10 of utd players in the last 20 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

gosplan wrote: »

The same manager who used Gary Neville and Paul Scholes when they were clearly past it....

• Advertisement

Would you have giggs in your top 5 or even top 10 of utd players in the last 20 years.

Yeah, not that I have a top anything list but I'm certain he would be in both.

Edit: No need to reply actually, I said I wasn't posting here any more and foolishly did.
    Predictable nonsense from the same predictable posters all the time g'luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

The same manager who used Gary Neville and Paul Scholes when they were clearly past it....

I'm pretty sure he never used Paul Scholes when he was past it. In fact he's probably still better than what we have now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Except he did though. Giggs in the late nineties was one of the best players in the world, he was very much one of those players that opposing teams hated having to face, that when he missed a game the other team was relieved. He was a complete game changer, and I suspect many who denigrate him are thinking of the last ten years when he was in his thirties, rather than back when he was actually at his peak.

People think because United can point to George Best and Ronaldo that he wasn't one of the greatest left wingers ever, but he was, he would have walked into any team in the world from 1995 to 2002.

Yeah, not that I have a top anything list but I'm certain he would be in both.

Edit: No need to reply actually, I said I wasn't posting here any more and foolishly did.
    Predictable nonsense from the same predictable posters all the time g'luck.

In the top 5 of the last 20 years and you think I'm talking nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I wouldn't class him as a legend myself. I wouldn't have him in top 10 of utd players in the 15 or so years.

Not a United fan but from 1999 to today you wouldn't have him in there? There were better players alright, but I'd say he contributed enough to warrant a place in the top ten.

What would your top ten be?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Yep what a **** manager he was....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

This is getting fairly embarrassing now from the pool fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

In the top 5 of the last 20 years and you think I'm talking nonsense.

You are talking nonsense, trying to prove some nonsensical point.

Giggs isn't a legend because a Liverpool fan thinks there were five better United players in the last twenty years? You can't see that says more about the quality of Manchester United than Ryan Giggs? Of course you can't.

I can think of five better Liverpool strikers than Ian Rush, guess he isn't a legend either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

You are talking nonsense, trying to prove some nonsensical point.

Giggs isn't a legend because a Liverpool fan thinks there were five better United players in the last twenty years? You can't see that says more about the quality of Manchester United than Ryan Giggs? Of course you can't.

I can think of five better Liverpool strikers than Ian Rush, guess he isn't a legend either.

Name them?:)

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Not a United fan but from 1999 to today you wouldn't have him in there? There were better players alright, but I'd say he contributed enough to warrant a place in the top ten.

What would your top ten be?

Schmeichal
    Keane
    Scholes
    Stam
    Vidic
    Irwin
    Van nistletroy
    Ronaldo
    Rooney
    Pallister

You could argue him in 8 or 9 I suppose.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement