Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ryan Giggs Retires

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Ryan Giggs absolute legend. The resentment towards him is because he was so good and successful. Basically it's another form of complement as he caused so much misery for them in the last 20 years they are glad to see the back of him

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Speaking as someone who hates united I think it's bit silly to suggest he's not a legend at the club. What he did in his personal life is completely irrelevant to what he did on the pitch too, he was a great player and will go down as a true legend of the premier league era. I couldn't give a toss who or what he did in his personal life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Fescue wrote: »
    Name them?:)

You want an honest list, or should I follow the lead of certain posters and just pull names from a hat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Just been watching a video of the 1999 FA Cup semi replay (last time the semis were allowed to go to replay) the goal thatt Giggs scored in that rates as one of the finest goals of the 20th century.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

You want an honest list, or should I follow the lead of certain posters and just pull names from a hat?

From a hat, from a hat...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

He generally deserves all the plaudits he is sure to get now that he is retired.

But I thought it was a bit over the top when he was voted the greatest player of the PL era as part of the 20th anniversary a few years ago. Keane, Cantona, Scholes and Ronaldo all arguably contributed more to title winning seasons than he did.

I don't seem to ever recall him been linked with another top clubs during his peak either. So maybe he wasn't as highly regarded on the continent. Am obviously open to correction on that one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

niallo27 wrote: »
    Schmeichal
    Keane
    Scholes
    Stam
    Vidic
    Irwin
    Van nistletroy
    Ronaldo
    Rooney
    Pallister

You could argue him in 8 or 9 I suppose.
    So you wouldn't have him in your top 10 and in your first list he makes 8?

And you put Pallister in ahead of him as you ran out of names, lol

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

What a player.

The BEST in the epl. No question about it.

Gigggsss, Gigggssss will tear you apart. AGAIN.

Cheers for everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Soups123 wrote: »

I said you could argue. I left beckham out as well. Where would you have him. Lol omg rofl tcp

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Not to mention Pallister left the club in 98, convenient how the window shifted from 10 to 15 to 20 years over the space of a few posts.

First Arsenal win a trophy and now there's Arsenal supporters in here defending a United player. Strange few days. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,463 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Schmeichal
    Keane
    Scholes
    Stam
    Vidic
    Irwin
    Van nistletroy
    Ronaldo
    Rooney
    Pallister

You could argue him in 8 or 9 I suppose.

Are you having a laugh? Bruce was probably the better of the partnership of himself and pallister. Giggs should waltz into any top ten in the history of united. This just seems like being contrary for the sake of it. The man reinvented himself as a player over the last eight seasons for Christ's sake. He was an amazing footballer by any measure, he hadability and intelligence in equal measure, a true legend.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Not to mention Pallister left the club in 98, convenient how the window shifted from 10 to 15 to 20 years over the space of a few posts.

First Arsenal win a trophy and now there's Arsenal supporters in here defending a United player. Strange few days. :pac:

The arsenal utd love in started with a few weeks left in the season. They have short memories.

nullzero wrote: »
    Are you having a laugh? Bruce was probably the better of the partnership of himself and pallister. Giggs should waltz into any top ten in the history of united. This just seems like being contrary for the sake of it. The man reinvented himself as a player over the last eight seasons for Christ's sake. He was an amazing footballer by any measure, he hadability and intelligence in equal measure, a true legend.

I don't agree with you. I don't think he would get in an all time utd top 10. I'm sure plenty of utd fans would agree with me but the obviously won't admit it now.

°°°°°

I don't agree with you. I don't think he would get in an all time utd top 10. I'm sure plenty of utd fans would agree with me but the obviously won't admit it now.

Fair enough. You're entitled to your opinion. You're wrong though. If Giggs can't be viewed as a club legend what exactly are the criteria?

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

Fair enough. You're entitled to your opinion. Your wrong though. If Giggs can't be viewed as a club legend what exactly are the criteria?

To be one of the best players to play for the club. The term legend is thrown around too much these days.

°°°°°

To be one of the best players to play for the club. The term legend is thrown around too much these days.

Maybe the term is over used, but giggs was one of the most talented players to play for united. You do remember his impact as a young player breaking into the side I take it? Giggs was phenomenal in his youth and developed into a cerebral and highly effective footballer when he realised age wouldn't allow him to play the way he used to. How many players can do that so successfully?

Glazers Out!

So from 10 to 15 yrs, to 20 yrs to now all time top 10. Honestly if your going to give an opinion atleast let it be genuine and stop moving the goal posts.

You ran out of players and gave him 8th the players you included and left out says it all

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

So from 10 to 15 yrs, to 20 yrs to now all time top 10. Honestly if your going to give an opinion atleast let it be genuine and stop moving the goal posts.

You ran out of players and gave him 8th the players you included and left out says it all

Your just making **** up now to suit yourself. I said all time as the poster replied to me using all time. This is fairly pathetic because I said a few bad words about wenger. Was is that upsetting what I said about wenger.

• Advertisement

Maybe the term is over used, but giggs was one of the most talented players to play for united. You do remember his impact as a young player breaking into the side I take it? Giggs was phenomenal in his youth and developed into a cerebral and highly effective footballer when he realised age wouldn't allow him to play the way he used to. How many players can do that so successfully?

Fair enough you make some good points maybe I am being a bit harsh on him. I'm not saying he wasn't a brilliant player. I just think utd had better. Scholes would be considered a legend and I can't put giggs anyway near that level.

Your just making **** up now to suit yourself. I said all time as the poster replied to me using all time. This is fairly pathetic because I said a few bad words about wenger. Was is that upsetting what I said about wenger.

What did you say about Wenger?

This is a discussion about Giggs you claimed he wouldn't make top 10 united players in the last 10/15/20 yrs then put him 8 in your list!

°°°°°

Fair enough you make some good points maybe I am being a bit harsh on him. I'm not saying he wasn't a brilliant player. I just think utd had better. Scholes would be considered a legend and I can't put giggs anyway near that level.

We can agree to disagree. But you'd have to agree that any other club would give their right arm for a player like giggs to have been a part of their history.

Glazers Out!

What did you say about Wenger?

This is a discussion about Giggs you claimed he wouldn't make top 10 united players in the last 10/15/20 yrs then put him 8 in your list!

I never mentioned 10 years. My original post said 15 years or so. I wasn't sure how long giggs carreer went on. I said you could argue him 8 or 9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

A lot of comments from liverpool fans. Giving out. Zzzzzzz. Niallo27 i dont want to get personal but you come across v bitter. why

We can agree to disagree. But you'd have to agree that any other club would give their right arm for a player like giggs to have been a part of theI history.

Yes but utd aren't like any other club. Isn't the bar much higher.

I never mentioned 10 years. My original post said 15 years or so. I wasn't sure how long giggs carreer went on. I said you could argue him 8 or 9.

U did not know giggs was with utd first team since 17 . Or won a league in 92/93

A lot of comments from liverpool fans. Giving out. Zzzzzzz. Niallo27 i dont want to get personal but you come across v bitter. why

Oh sweet Jesus on a ****en bicycle. I wonder how long it would take before the bitter word was used.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

The thing that I have respect for is he retired on the same day as United got a new manager and he didn't make a fuss about it despite being the most successful player in England ever. Top pro.

Oh sweet Jesus on a ****en bicycle. I wonder how long it would take before the bitter word was used.

Iv read a lot of threads in my time and your making no sense.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't class him as a legend myself. I wouldn't have him in top 10 of utd players in the 15 or so years.

Makes no sense. One of the worst football posts iv ever read. Baffling

°°°°°

Yes but utd aren't like any other club. Isn't the bar much higher.

Good luck, I'm outta here.

Glazers Out!

• Are we forgetting how leathal he was from the ages 18 up to nearly 30 I think on the wings. How lighting fast he was, how he had a killer strike and was always a nightmare for defenders.
    He then adjusted his game to suit his age and changing physique. Sounds like he's getting a lot of nonsense judgement for the latter half of his career.
    The guy is a legend and will be sorely missed. And a true professional to boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Of course Giggs is a club legend, idiocy to suggest otherwise

He has been at the club since he was a kid, he is the most decorated player in the history of the club, he is the record appearance holder also, he has been a mainstay in the first team during the most successful period in the clubs history. Is he the best player to ever play for the club? Of course not, he is still a club legend though.

Nobody, and I mean nobody, actually thinks otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Don't like him at all, but he's been a beast, alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

Maybe the term is over used, but giggs was one of the most talented players to play for united?

It was so long ago now, that nearly everyone forgets how good he was.

He carried on way too long.

He peaked about 10 to 15 years ago and put in some very average seasons in his early 30's, with a bit of a resurgence in the last 2 or 3 years.

He should have retired after winning the champions league in 2008 imo, he hung around the club too long.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Still though, was he really that good considering he never got a cap for England?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Never seems to be mentioned how much easier it is for a Jamie Carragher, John Terry or Ryan Giggs to be 'loyal' than somebody who comes through at West Ham or Southampton. They're already at the best club for their level, there was no temptation to move up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

And this is the problem with this place.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

47186_front.jpg

Great game. I'm out of here now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

It's clearly obvious that the man lacks any real conviction morally but thankfully we're talking about a football player in a soccer forum not about morals. It's absolute idiocy to have some form of idealist rewriting of history because of how the man behaved off the field.

Is Ryan Giggs a legend of a man? No, obviously not.

Is he a legendary footballer? Yes, quite clearly. Probably one of the most spectacular careers that ever will be seen in Britain. Is the best ever? No and I don't think anyone is suggesting that. He's not even one of the best United players of his generation but he was a great footballer who had a fantastic career who's trophy haul is nothing short of spectacular.

A legend of a player, a shít of a man. Simple as really. No need for the feigned moral bullshít either. We all know what he done but we're talking about his career as a footballer.

Some of the people in here pretending to get weepy eyed at this Satan like Welsh creature had no problem finding plenty of ifs and buts when it came to a certain player accused of racism not too long ago. It's a bit rich really. I might be wrong, but if he didn't play for Manchester United half the people commenting here wouldn't care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

It's pretty clear you are letting your obvious dislike of Ryan Giggs the man affect your judgement of Ryan Giggs the player.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    47186_front.jpg

Great game. I'm out of here now.

Haha

Liam O wrote: »
    And this is the problem with this place.

Exactly. Any opinion against the norm you are either a troll, bitter or dense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Or all three in some special cases :p

• Advertisement

Pighead wrote: »
    It's pretty clear you are letting your obvious dislike of Ryan Giggs the man affect your judgement of Ryan Giggs the player.

He is just trying to rise .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Exactly. Any completely biased opinion against the norm you are either a troll, bitter or dense.

FYP.

Pighead wrote: »

You would have giggs in your all time top 10 players. He has some serious competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The problem is you and your ilk.

I'm sure you're aware of this though so I don't know why I'm bothering but I'm bored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Would you have giggs in your top 5 or even top 10 of utd players in the last 20 years.

Certainly would, has been in probably 5 of fergies title winning team rebuilds. Maybe not an angel off the field but why does that come into it. Plenty of bitter people on this. Credit where its due

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement