Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ryan Giggs Retires

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Liam O wrote: »
    The problem is you and your ilk.

I'm sure you're aware of this though so I don't know why I'm bothering but I'm bored.

Too easy to say that. Too easy to gang up here. Is it that outrageous to say that giggs wasn't one one of the best players to play for utd in his generation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

niallo27 wrote: »
    Too easy to say that. Too easy to gang up here. Is it that outrageous to say that giggs wasn't one one of the best players to play for utd in his generation.

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

You would have giggs in your all time top 10 players. He has some serious competition.
    You hate Giggs and find it hard to admit that the guy was a seriously talented player who terrorised defences for years. Pighead does a similar thing with Axl Rose. Dislike him a lot and try and convince myself he is an untalented twat. Secretly I know it's not true though.

I don't know what age you are but maybe that has something to do with it as well. I'm almost 37 and I was only about 13 or 14 when Giggs first burst on to the scene and he was an absolute idol of mine growing up. The excitement he brought to games was amazing.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

But I thought it was a bit over the top when he was voted the greatest player of the PL era as part of the 20th anniversary a few years ago. Keane, Cantona, Scholes and Ronaldo all arguably contributed more to title winning seasons than he did.
    No-one contributed to as many title-winning seasons. Giggs was tearing them apart during the 90s and adapted his style of play therafter thereby prolonging his career and allowing him to continue contributing to an incredibly successful team. It's the sheer scale of his contribution that sets him apart. People go on about Best, who was a great player for perhaps 10 years. Giggs may never have hit the same heights as someone like Best, but the fact he continued doing it to a very high standard for so long makes him, in my view, one of the true United greats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

Haha gang up your to obvious lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

What he's achieved in the game will most likely never be surpassed.

Almost 1000 games, a ridiculous 13 league titles, two european cups etc etc....

He'll never tear you a part again. I'm sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

That in itself could be debated, but here's the sticky part, you included this little beauty in your post

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90462485&postcount=36
    niallo27 wrote:
    I wouldn't class him as a legend myself

which as I have already pointed out is ridonkulous by any standards that one would judge a club legend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    47186_front.jpg

Great game. I'm out of here now.

You obviously never owned it, It was awful!

Al Capwned wrote: »

More league titles then most clubs, hell, he isnt too far off the team with the second highest titles to their name all by himself.

Not going there actually

Bitter sweet day, certainly time for him to go, but sad to see the end of such a magnificent career

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

kryogen wrote: »
    That in itself could be debated, but here's the sticky part, you included this little beauty in your post

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90462485&postcount=36

which as I have already pointed out is ridonkulous by any standards that one would judge a club legend.

Club legend or legend.

• Advertisement

Al Capwned wrote: »

Its only when you read the stats today. And think about it. All the good players he out done at utd by 5-10 and 15 yrs in some cases. Off the top of my head prob 23- 5-6 17 or18 yrs longer than cantona at utd.

Club legend or legend.

Your in a soccer forum. Not the jeremy kyle show

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

FearDark wrote: »
    You obviously never owned it, It was awful!

Nuri agrees with you FearDark. Nothing will ever compare to Pele's game on the 2600.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

This threads a great laugh altogether.

Being a racist on the football pitch, biting a fellow professional on the football pitch or a club captain beating the living jaysus out of a dj because he wont play the latest Venga Boys tune are all fine and dandy but for the sake of all that is good in the world, don't go sleeping with your sister in law.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I like football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

This threads a great laugh altogether.

Being a racist on the football pitch, biting a fellow professional on the football pitch or a club captain beating the living jaysus out of a dj because he wont play the latest Venga Boys tune are all fine and dandy but for the sake of all that is good in the world, don't go sleeping with your sister in law.

More than once dont't forget.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Amazing player, will we ever see another Giggs? Maybe not in my lifetime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Augmerson wrote: »
    Amazing player, will we ever see another Giggs? Maybe not in my lifetime.

Makes no sense.

What is there to suggest that a player won't appear like him ever again? Very little imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Mezcita wrote: »
    Makes no sense.

What is there to suggest that a player won't appear like him ever again? Very little imo.

A player that was made a superstar in the beginning of the Premier League. Who was as well known as movie or pop stars in the UK and Ireland, who had longetivity in his career when others were blighted by injuries, who stayed with the same club for his whole career, with it stil and is (I think?) the most decorated player in European football?

There will be others like him. I don't doubt it. But not every generation will have a Giggs. He was special.

• Advertisement

What happened this thread during the night!

Giggs is a Utd legend, of course he is. The latter part of his career tailed off and he had a plenty of average performances. However, the first decade at least of his career he was fantastic.

A guy that sticks around at the same club for his whole career(and still competing) deserves a lot of respect in football regardless of what he won and who he played for imo.

Pighead wrote: »
    You hate Giggs and find it hard to admit that the guy was a seriously talented player who terrorised defences for years. Pighead does a similar thing with Axl Rose. Dislike him a lot and try and convince myself he is a talented twat. Secretly I know it's not true though.

I don't know what age you are but maybe that has something to do with it as well. I'm almost 37 and I was only about 13 or 14 when Giggs first burst on to the scene and he was an absolute idol of mine growing up. The excitement he brought to games was amazing.

I honestly didn't think you aged Pighead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I don't agree with you. I don't think he would get in an all time utd top 10.

On the other hand, he'd easily get into a Liverpool all time top ten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Great player. Lacking man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Great player in his day but I think more spectacular players like Ronaldo and Cantona will be remembered more fondly.
    Regardless of how much it's relevant he tarnished his image with the brother stuff, there is just somethings you don't do.

I have far more respect for a player like Scholes to be honest and who was genuinely world class.

He should have hung up the boots 5 years ago IMO. He has just been hanging around the squad since then with little to contribute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

rob316 wrote: »
    I have far more respect for a player like Scholes to be honest and who was genuinely world class.

He should have hung up the boots 5 years ago IMO. He has just been hanging around the squad since then with little to contribute.

Giggs was world class during his peak.
    He came under attack around 5 years ago or so as the pace declined, but I think he adapted well and could still play to a premiership standard. Experience and a calm head can be worth a lot to a team.
    It'll be interesting to see what Ronaldo etc... do when the years get to them.

A total legend of football.

I'm not a Utd fan btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aodea

A great player never in my opinion was he world class but very few are. He worked his socks off to stay at the top and managed to develop his style of play to still be a useful member of championship winning teams.

Had some sensational moments and the fact that he played so many top flight games shows he was a top player. Ferguson was not a man for sentiment if he had not been up to it he would not have been picked.

Great player. apparently poor person.

United legend, prem legend yes, mentioning in the best ever or world class just not quite for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Never a better time to post this.

Ayq9CMuCYAARoH2.jpg

Posting gerrard and lampards club honours was always going to get you the response you wanted and helped turn the thread into a car crash.Its also pretty irrelevant in judging giggs career. The same way me stating that gerrard and lampard are off to their third or fourth world cup next month and Giggs has retired having never played in one. What that post really said was Utd have dominated for the last 25 years something we all know anyway.
    I dont need to see what gerrard and lampard have won to judge what an unbelievable career Giggs has had. As others have mentioned he was breathtaking in his early career basically all through the 90's and Id have nothing but respect for him for managing to play on at Utd and meaningfully contribute up till he was 40. Even in his last game the pass to rvp for his goal was class. He also made a huge difference in the olympiakos game this for a 40 yr old at the highest level shows what a great natural ability he has and how serious he took football throughout his career. What he did off the field I couldnt care less about and its not a stick to beat him with when judging his playing career. He had a great career and good luck to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Posting gerrard and lampards club honours was always going to get you the response you wanted and helped turn the thread into a car crash.

Yeah, because it would have went so smoothly without that pic :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Ryan Giggs, one of the most over rated players in Premier Lge history. I think his achievements on the field cloud peoples judgement on him, he was a very good player but by no means great.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Yeah, because it would have went so smoothly without that pic :pac:

Of course the inevitable would have happened it always does but obviously that helped speed up the process.

• Advertisement

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Ryan Giggs, one of the most over rated players in Premier Lge history. I think his achievements on the field cloud peoples judgement on him, he was a very good player but by no means great.

Would you mind listing some great players for me, who are currently playing, just to get a better sense of what you need to do to be considered great by El Gringo please?

Of course the inevitable would have happened it always does but obviously that helped speed up the process.

Agreed

Would you mind listing some great players for me, who are currently playing, just to get a better sense of what you need to do to be considered great by El Gringo please?

He wouldnt be in my top 10 players ever to play in the Prem Lge. The likes of Ronaldo, Henry, Bergkamp, Cantona, Scholes, Zola etc were all much much better players than Giggs. He was a very good player but the way some go on about him they would swear he was one of the best ever to grace the game. A poor mans Christiano Ronaldo.

He wouldnt be in my top 10 players ever to play in the Prem Lge. The likes of Ronaldo, Henry, Bergkamp, Cantona, Scholes, Zola etc were all much much better players than Giggs. He was a very good player but the way some go on about him they would swear he was one of the best ever to grace the game. A poor mans Christiano Ronaldo.

I didn't ask you if he would be in your top 10 players to ever play in the league, it is also not what you said, you said he was not a great player, so I want you to quantify what that is to you by giving me some examples of players who are playing right now, are you going to do that instead of shifting goalposts?

I didn't ask you if he would be in your top 10 players to ever play in the league, it is also not what you said, you said he was not a great player, so I want you to quantify what that is to you by giving me some examples of players who are playing right now, are you going to do that instead of shifting goalposts?

Messi, Ronaldo, Lahm, Iniesta, Toure, Pirlo, Xavi, Silva, to name a few. All a level above Giggs imo.

Messi, Ronaldo, Lahm, Iniesta, Toure, Pirlo, Xavi, Silva, to name a few. All a level above Giggs imo.

I am not interested in whether they are a level or twenty above Giggs, only your criteria for a great player.

Cheers

I am not interested in whether they are a level or twenty above Giggs, only your criteria for a great player.

Cheers

No bother. I think the fact of him been voted Utds best ever player by there fans back up my argument that he is over rated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭patmac

Man was a legend I think a lot of the younger posters forget how good he was, also think Gerrard and Lampard will be remembered well and hate that 'bitch please' poster. I certainly won't be going on the Stevie Gerrard Retirement Thread and pointing out his errors, but no doubt some fellow United fans will be quick to remind/goad Liverpool fans. That is the problem with soccer nowadays more about one-upmanship than respect. Will never forget that goal against Arsenal that effectively won us the treble.

I would think it has to do with his longevity, his contributions to the clubs most successful period and that he came up through the ranks would have been a big influence there

Giggs was a great player, you can call most players overrated and underrated and be correct at some point. Doesnt matter in the grand scheme of things.

As an aside, you have not made any argument as to why he is overrated, you have given your opinion that he is alright, so the fans voting him the best ever player cant back up an argument that hasnt been made :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

I can't say really say a bad thing about Giggs. I hated seeing him bomb down the wings against Liverpool sides in the late 90's and onwards. Admittedly it's been a long time since I feared seeing his name on the Utd teamsheet, his impact had definitely declined in the latter third of his playing career.

I choose not to bring the adultery stuff into it. I don't see the point. It didn't affect the fortunes of my team negatively when he played against us so why should I care. On the pitch he was a clean player (to the best of my memory) which I respect greatly. I would much sooner look back at the likes of Shearer or Terry who were feckers for throwing an elbow all too often and would say that kind of stuff should be brought up more than their private lives as it happened on the pitch and could affect the run of a game against my team

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

No bother. I think the fact of him been voted Utds best ever player by there fans back up my argument that he is over rated.

You still haven't answered his question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Ah you can't really say too much bad about Giggs . I mean the fact he won so much and stayed loyal to one club in this day and age is very admirable . I don't like the man but I respect him .

RasTa wrote: »
    You still haven't answered his question.

What question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I would think it has to do with his longevity

Trophies aside I suspect his longevity is hurting his legend status. Have this thread in 1998 or 1999 and you would get laughed out of the room for suggesting he wasn't world class or that none of the other big teams were interested in him. People saying he didn't contribute to a title win obviously weren't there in 1994 or 1996.

15 years later and a bunch of kids that weren't around to see him in his prime think he was only a good player, not a great one. Its comically tragic.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Trophies aside I suspect his longevity is hurting his legend status. Have this thread in 1998 or 1999 and you would get laughed out of the room for suggesting he wasn't world class or that none of the other big teams were interested in him.

"World Class" is best in the world, and in with a shout of getting into an overall best 11. I'm not sure he ever was at such a level.

He was a great player in his prime, but not even close to an all-time great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Cheers
    What question?

Go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

AdamD wrote: »
    Never seems to be mentioned how much easier it is for a Jamie Carragher, John Terry or Ryan Giggs to be 'loyal' than somebody who comes through at West Ham or Southampton. They're already at the best club for their level, there was no temptation to move up.

The simple fact that he managed to keep his place at the top level over his career shows just how much of a top class player he was.

As someone previously mentioned, he developed his game and physique to ensure he still remained competitive and valuable to the team.

His dedication to the long term (i.e taking up yoga to ensure he was still at a suitable fitness level) shows his commitment not just to MUFC but also to the beautiful game.

General point: Anyone with an understanding of football and the EPL should be able to recognise his dedication, ability and evolution as a player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Giggs was a very good player at his peak but you couldn't put him in the same bracket as what could be described as great players like Messi, Ronaldo, Zidane and others of that level. As Eamon Dunphy might put it, he was a good player not a great player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

Unreal player throughout his time. People will go on about his off-field antics but this is a football discussion thread, not how to be morally upstanding. Have a feeling he'll do well as a manager eventually, may start elsewhere than United though

• Advertisement

RasTa wrote: »
    Go

If you had a read above you would see I already answered the question.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement