Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ryan Giggs Retires

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

This threads a great laugh altogether.

Being a racist on the football pitch, biting a fellow professional on the football pitch or a club captain beating the living jaysus out of a dj because he wont play the latest Venga Boys tune are all fine and dandy but for the sake of all that is good in the world, don't go sleeping with your sister in law.

Do you have a brother.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

reminds me a lot of Javier Zanetti and Paulo Maldini. amazing player and decent lad. pity about the whole sleeping around business as the lowbrows will use that as a stick to beat him with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Trophies aside I suspect his longevity is hurting his legend status. Have this thread in 1998 or 1999 and you would get laughed out of the room for suggesting he wasn't world class or that none of the other big teams were interested in him. People saying he didn't contribute to a title win obviously weren't there in 1994 or 1996.

15 years later and a bunch of kids that weren't around to see him in his prime think he was only a good player, not a great one. Its comically tragic.

That's the thing with Giggs, when he came on the scene in the early 90's he was phenomenal on one wing with Kanchelskis or Sharpe on the other. Their pace on the break was ridiculous and he scored goals that led to people comparing him to George Best. I think people forget how important and excellent he was at that time and throughout the 90's - he was the perfect foil for Cantona and his through balls and he largely played as an inside forward who dropped onto the wing when defending. When Cantona left and we had two out and out strikers, he reverted to left midfield and still maintained his creativity and goal output.

For those saying he was never linked to any 'major' sides (how dumb that sounds), he was linked to Juventus and Inter around 98-01 but we were arguably the best team in the world around that point so there was no reason to leave.

In the 00's he adapted his game to become a creative passer when his pace wasn't at the same level anymore. Much like Scholesy, he had an ability to spot a pass that many others couldn't and he helped carry us into a top 3 spot playing alongside John O'Shea in midfield at one point. Even this year, possibly our best performance of the season came against Olympiakos at home when Giggs was pulling the strings in midfield. As for his longevity, it shouldn't count against a player when judging his career. His ability to adapt and retrain himself to fulfill different roles at the very highest level is hard to fathom.

Other clubs and fans will try say he was this or that, but for an amount of time he was the most exciting player in the world. He scored some of the most important goals on the most decorated team in the history of the league for over 20 years. Say what you want but he was a great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

BMMachine wrote: »
    reminds me a lot of Javier Zanetti and Paulo Maldini. amazing player and decent lad. pity about the whole sleeping around business as the lowbrows will use that as a stick to beat him with

lol, the sleeping around business shows him to quite clearly not be a 'decent lad'. Can't abuse the **** out of Terry and ignore Giggs.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

If you want to show a young player how they should layout the plan for their football career then Ryan Giggs is the template.

If you want to show a young player how not to layout their 'off field' antics then Ryan Giggs is the template.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Great filter this thread

Anyone bringing up his off field stuff in a thread looking at his phenomenal career showing their true bitter colours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

niallo27 wrote: »
    Do you have a brother.
    I have a few.

Do you have a sister?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Anyone bringing up his off field stuff in a thread looking at his phenomenal career showing their true bitter colours

In fairness, a John Terry/Luis Suarez thread wouldn't be much different

As irritating as it is, fans will be fans

I have a few.

Do you have a sister?

King of the comebacks right here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

obviously he has a few personality flaws - most people do , but this is about football - what has has achieved in the British game is phenomal - 960 games for the top team in the land , and at times Europe - as a footballer , top top class - am in awe of what he has achieved on the football field , as most people should

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

x43r0 wrote: »

Personally anyone having a go for stuff that happens off the pitch just because a player plays for a rival, I wouldn't consider them a "fan".

Obviously I mean in context to them being a player. If this thread was about Giggs being a good person then fair enough, have a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

I dont think many argue that Giggs was a very good player but is he over rated? Vastly in my opinion.

x43r0 wrote: »

If people can't understand that what Giggs and Terry did, while scummy, have absolutely nothing to do with football, they are either doing it intentionally knowing they are wrong or are just stupid

Suarez's stuff happened on the pitch, so it's fair game really, it seems like Liverpool fans especially have trouble grasping this

Maybe a diagram like the father Dougal near/far away one needs to be drawn up to explain it to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

If people can't understand that what Giggs and Terry did, while scummy, have absolutely nothing to do with football, they are either doing it intentionally knowing they are wrong or are just stupid

Suarez's stuff happened on the pitch, so it's fair game really, it seems like Liverpool fans especially have trouble grasping this

Maybe a diagram like the father Dougal near/far away one needs to be drawn up to explain it to them

No need for condescension - Be bigger than that

I agree with you. Suarez' behaviour is not up for debate as far as I'm concerned - It was awful, and the diving, just embarrassing. I'm sure the majority of Liverpool fans beliefs would fall in line with this too.

TL:DR; Don't let the opinions of some paint your opinion of the many

Wasn't terry done for racially abusing someone on the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

"World Class" is best in the world, and in with a shout of getting into an overall best 11. I'm not sure he ever was at such a level.

In his prime, in the relevant period in the 90's, Ryan Giggs was unquestionably getting into a world's best 11, he was recognised at the time as the best left winger in the game, bar none. To say otherwise is simply incorrect.

Lets not forget, Ryan Giggs was selected in the UEFA Champions League 10 Seasons Dream Team (1992 to 2002), so its clear that his ability was recognised internationally. Thats the period he should be judged on, and to say he wasn't world class at that time simply isn't true.

john terry and louis suarez careers will not be a patch on the career giggs has had. you can beat most any player with the off the field nonsense shure maradonna took coke and was a bit of a nutter he was clearly ****.

giggs has been the most successful player in premier league history he's up there with the likes of del piero,maldini,zanetti and totti the longevity all of them had while playing at the highest level was insane and i would imagine nobody would have a go off of the rest of them had this thread been about them.

"World Class" is best in the world, and in with a shout of getting into an overall best 11. I'm not sure he ever was at such a level.

He was a great player in his prime, but not even close to an all-time great.

mid to late 90s he would definitely have been in that team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Gringo180 wrote: »
    I dont think many argue that Giggs was a very good player but is he over rated? Vastly in my opinion.

Over rated in what way Gringo?

bmcc10 wrote: »

In him being voted Utds best player ever by there fans and getting an award for best player in the Prem Leagues 20 odd year history. He is neither by a long way.

• Advertisement

Gringo180 wrote: »
    In him being voted Utds best player ever by there fans and getting an award for best player in the Prem Leagues 20 odd year history. He is neither by a long way.

when the length of his career is taken into account he right up there its far from a long way as was said above in the 90s he was one of the best on the planet he had to reinvent himself as he got older but bar maby the last 2 years he's still been an important piece to a perennial championship team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

In his prime, in the relevant period in the 90's, Ryan Giggs was unquestionably getting into a world's best 11, he was recognised at the time as the best left winger in the game, bar none. To say otherwise is simply incorrect.

Lets not forget, Ryan Giggs was selected in the UEFA Champions League 10 Seasons Dream Team (1992 to 2002), so its clear that his ability was recognised internationally. Thats the period he should be judged on, and to say he wasn't world class at that time simply isn't true.

This comment
    bmcc10 wrote: »

Thats why I personally feel he's overrated. He didnt play at that level for the 20+ years he played and in my view the last 12 he's been positively average but he's been rammed down every other football clubs fans throat as this phenom who was nothing short of magnificent week in week out for 25 years.

Dont confuse everyone else disagreeing with you for bitterness. I dont care if giggs gets 13 or 33 league medals honestly I couldnt care less as I dont believe medals are a fair reflection of anyones career. Unfortunately the only reflection is the situation we are in now, everyones opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

The best part of this thread has been how much of a hole Niallo and Gringo have dug themselves.

At the turn of the century, when teams like Juve were looking to sign Giggs he was among the best in the world. To play at such a high level consistently for as long as Giggs did is something that will seldom be replicated. An absolute Legend of the club and undoubtedly one of the best PL players ever.

Its also funny how certain posters are willing to point out the splinter in other's eyes while ignoring the plank in their own.
    By some's logic I can argue Suarez has never had a great season because he's a cheating racist cannibalistic *expletive*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

The assosiation between players of field incidents somehow reflecting or impacting their on field ability, is beyond laughable.

Do I like Suarez the character, no, not one bit. Do I let that judge my view on him as a player, no, because I'm not a child distracted by the "bad man". He's an outragously talented footballer that so happens to enact horrible stuff on the pitch.

John Terry is someone I've no time for, but at the same time recognise he was, and in some respects still is a fantastic centre back that has been a critical cog in a lot of Chelseas success.

Giggs achievement and standing in the English game really shouldn't need explaining, and it's embarrassing that it's even up for debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Its also funny how certain posters are willing to point out the splinter in other's eyes while ignoring the plank in their own.
    By some's logic I can argue Suarez has never had a great season because he's a cheating racist cannibalistic *expletive*

I'm not denying Gigg's greatness, in the same way that that I am not denying the fact that Suarez has been involved in a number of dislikeable on the pitch incidents.

Great players, poor humans.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I'm not denying Gigg's greatness, in the same way that that I am not denying the fact that Suarez has been involved in a number of dislikeable on the pitch incidents.

Great players, poor humans.

No need to bring it up though. In the thread about "Has Suarez had the best season ever" I don't think (I'm open to correction) People unnecssarily brought up his violence/racism etc etc

The best part of this thread has been how much of a hole Niallo and Gringo have dug themselves.

At the turn of the century, when teams like Juve were looking to sign Giggs he was among the best in the world. To play at such a high level consistently for as long as Giggs did is something that will seldom be replicated. An absolute Legend of the club and undoubtedly one of the best PL players ever.

I never said giggs wasn't one of utd best players because what he did off the field I said it because I don't think he was one of the best of all time. What the **** had Suarez got to do with this thread anyway.

If a utd fan had started a thread do you think giggs was the one of the best players of all time at utd. I'm sure it would be very mixed but because a liverpool fan said it, he must be bitter and evil and hate our poor giggs.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

No need to bring it up though. In the thread about "Has Suarez had the best season ever" I don't think (I'm open to correction) People unnecssarily brought up his violence/racism etc etc

if thats the case its a Christmas miracle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Never a better time to post this.

Ayq9CMuCYAARoH2.jpg

Why not praise Giggs without putting other players down ? And if you want to compare him to a Liverpool legend, why pick Gerrard - why not pick Phil Neal ?

• Advertisement

Still failing to grasp the whole "on pitch"/"off pitch" thing I see

Didn't you have giggs and terry in the same bracket and failed to grasp what he was convicted of doing on the field.

Giggs brother was first mentioned in post #2 by a Utd fan.

People will always mention it when Giggs name is brought up even though it's not relevant to football probably because of how bad it was - 8 years with your brother's wife!

As someone said, great footballer but as a human he's as low as you get.

I'd imagine he lost a lot of respect from some players tbh after that came out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Will they do a testimonial to raise enough money for the lad. Send him off with a few bob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Must be terrible for non United fans ,
    Having to come on here and try put down one of if the greatest wingers ever to play, when they have to see one man achieve more and win more than most teams have achieved in the last 20 Years .

Haters be hating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Didn't you have giggs and terry in the same bracket and failed to grasp what he was convicted of doing on the field.

He's quite clearly talking about the Terry-Bridge thing, not the racism.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

When people talked about Scholes they often mention how impressed they were with him off the field. I don't don't remember United fans claiming those people where bitter or telling them it shouldn't be mentioned.

He's quite clearly talking about the Terry-Bridge thing, not the racism.

And ignoring the racism. He is choosing to ignore it for terry but not for Suarez.

I never said giggs wasn't one of utd best players because what he did off the field I said it because I don't think he was one of the best of all time. What the **** had Suarez got to do with this thread anyway.

If a utd fan had started a thread do you think giggs was the one of the best players of all time at utd. I'm sure it would be very mixed but because a liverpool fan said it, he must be bitter and evil and hate our poor giggs.

I never said you said that. I said some posters implied that.

I said you were digging a hole because your posting in this thread has been some of the most unintelligible I have read in the SF (And that's saying something)

I never said you said that. I said some posters implied that.

I said you were digging a hole because your posting in this thread has been some of the most unintelligible I have read in the SF (And that's saying something)

Fair enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

BoEIgofIgAA8fEX.jpg

• Advertisement

I think Giggs is over rated so how have I dug myself into a hole. I am pretty sure there is many that agree with me. Forget about what he has won in the game because if you go by that logic John O Shea and Nicky Butt would be classed as better players than say Shearer or Zola for instance. All I am saying is that no way on earth is he Utds and the Premier League best ever player. Giggs is just below the world class level he had the talent to be in this bracket but not the consistency. If any Utd player deserves the accolades Giggs has got its Paul Scholes he is the best midfielder ever to come out of Britain.

has the OP, or anyone to that effect, said that the discussion is exclusively about Ryan Giggs the player, or is it about Ryan Giggs the person?

its going to be impossible to talk about the man and not mention his off field antics.

the same way if you discuss Suarez or Terry or any controversial figure.

When people talked about Scholes they often mention how impressed they were with him off the field. I don't don't remember United fans claiming those people where bitter or telling them it shouldn't be mentioned.

ding dong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Giggs brother was first mentioned in post #2 by a Utd fan

Yeah it's my fault because I predicted the retarded comments, what a f*cking stupid thing to say.

Yeah it's my fault that I predicted the retarded comments, what a f*cking stupid thing to say.

but they are not retarded when the discussion is about Ryan Giggs?

Agueroooo wrote: »

I knew the way this thread was going to go the moment it opened, predictable bollox from the same predictable people.

• Agueroooo wrote: »

Title is 'Ryan Giggs Retires'

From professional football, wtf else would we be discussing unless your heads have been stuck in the sand for the last 2 days?

If the thread was called 'Ryan Giggs Shagged his brothers missus' then by all means a discussion should be had.

Do you know what else is hilarious too?
    The amount of people that got wound up over a silly picture on the first page, there's still people quoting it trying to explain why it's not factually accurate :pac:
    It's a f*cking jokey, photoshop botch job. It says "bitch please" in it ffs.
    Classic soccer forum outrage :D

I knew the way this thread was going to go the moment it opened, predictable bollox from the same predictable people.

predictable in the sense that of course Giggs riding was going to be discussed!?

impossible to prevent and unfair to label it on certain posters.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Title is 'Ryan Giggs Retires'

From professional football, wtf else would we be discussing unless your heads have been stuck in the sand for the last 2 days?

If the thread was called 'Ryan Giggs Shagged his brothers missus' then by all means a discussion should be had.

lol....Its a discussion about Ryan Giggs.full stop

appraisal and assessment would be normal, no?

those trying to separate the 'off field' with the 'on field' is hilarious imo.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement