Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rifle licence / Rented Property

Options
  • 19-05-2014 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

What are the rules relating to holding a rifle license and rifle whist in rented accommodation?

House is alarmed and had a solid wall for the safe.

I only want a standard 2.2 for targets. Could I store a rifle at a club and remove it to use at a friends? He has 2 licensed rifles and a few acres to fire on all legal of course.

He will give me written permission but i would rather have the rifle at home but it is rented.

I have not yet asked the landlord as Id like to know the legal status first.

Thank you in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

It is illegal to target shoot other than on an authorized range, You can hunt on the land but not target shooting as it would be in breach of the firearms act.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

juice1304 wrote: »
    It is illegal to target shoot other than on an authorized range, You can hunt on the land but not target shooting as it would be in breach of the firearms act.

I Would of thought that Hunting would be the one with the more stringent rules??

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

The landlord would probably need to give you permission to attach the safe to the wall. Any lease I've ever seen wouldn't even allow you to put a nail in to hang a picture without permission. As a matter of courtesy, I'd discuss your plans with the landlord no matter what.

Other than that, there's no legal issue about storing firearms in rented accommodation. So long as you comply with the rules on storage (and with a safe bolted to a solid wall you will), the Gardai don't really care who owns the wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭BillyBoy13

I would of thought that Hunting would be the one with the more stringent rules??

You need written permission from landlord (I say this as a landlord myself who had to give permission). And make sure to give him the heads up about what to say if they phone him "good tenant, trustworthy" etc. PM me if you want and I'll give you a copy of the letter I wrote for my tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

I Would of thought that Hunting would be the one with the more stringent rules??

ALL the LAWS relating to the use of firearms are stringent.

Target shooting means just that - you have to be a member of a target-shooting club to justify ownership of ANY kind of a firearm used for this purpose.

'Hunting' also means just that - you have to have a letter of authorisation from the person whose land you intend to shoot over, as well as insurance. Also, as it seems to be your first foray into shooting, you are well-advised to start with a .22LR rifle, as you note.

There are circumstances where you are able to shoot targets as well as live game, and there are many posters here who do both. They will explain to you what is necessary and lawful in order for you to do this.

In either case, you should undertake a firearms safety course to become well-acquainted with safety, handling and correct use of firearms-realted terminology. Insurance is also a must.

We are all here to help and advise you.

tac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Ok perfect, that clears up the target side and i will have a letter off the owner of the land i will be firing on.

I will obviously talk to the landlord about having a firearm on his property.

As for firearm safety I am ex Army ao I am safe around firearms but i would still do a couse as i left some time ago and its never any harm either way.

Its more the laws im not to up on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

BillyBoy13 wrote: »
    You need written permission from landlord (I say this as a landlord myself who had to give permission). And make sure to give him the heads up about what to say if they phone him "good tenant, trustworthy" etc. PM me if you want and I'll give you a copy of the letter I wrote for my tenant.

Check your watch Billy, the 18th century didn't finish yesterday:). The only one you need permission from to have a firearm in your possession as an adult is your local Superintendent of Chief Superintendent depending on the gun in question.

OP, you do not need permission from your landlord to own a firearm but having said that if you need to fit a safe you probably do as it involves bolting something into the structure of the building. If they're sound with that you may as well ask him/her if they mind that they're mentioned as a reference on the application.

Check your watch Billy, the 18th century didn't finish yesterday:). The only one you need permission from to have a firearm in your possession as an adult is your local Superintendent of Chief Superintendent depending on the gun in question.

OP, you do not need permission from your landlord to own a firearm but having said that if you need to fit a safe you probably do as it involves bolting something into the structure of the building. If they're sound with that you may as well ask him/her if they mind that they're mentioned as a reference on the application.

18th century or not I can definitely tell you that I was asked to provide a letter explaining:

1) Who all has a key and how many tenants were in the house since last lock change. And was the codes on the alarms changed since last tenants.

2) Did I have any objections to him bolting a safe to the wall.

Then there was a follow up phone call to confirm all this was correct, and then I don't know if they were "digging for info" or just been friendly but they asked whats he like.

BillyBoy13 wrote: »
    18th century or not I can definitely tell you that I was asked to provide a letter explaining:

1) Who all has a key and how many tenants were in the house since last lock change. And was the codes on the alarms changed since last tenants.

2) Did I have any objections to him bolting a safe to the wall.

Then there was a follow up phone call to confirm all this was correct, and then I don't know if they were "digging for info" or just been friendly but they asked whats he like.

I think the subtle difference being missed between yourself and meathstevie is that there's no legal requirement for the landlord to give permission unless the Superintendent decides so off his/her own bat.

If a tenant has safe storage and the Gardai don't ask about the landlord then it's perfectly fine if the landlord is left out of it. The landlord doesn't even have to be informed about a firearm being on the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

IRLConor wrote: »
    I think the subtle difference being missed between yourself and meathstevie is that there's no legal requirement for the landlord to give permission unless the Superintendent decides so off his/her own bat.

If a tenant has safe storage and the Gardai don't ask about the landlord then it's perfectly fine if the landlord is left out of it. The landlord doesn't even have to be informed about a firearm being on the property.

Errr NOPE! The landlord does have to be informed and I can concur with Billyboy as we also rent properties and we had had a few gun owners in recent years renting off us. Again mileage may vary with whomever you are dealing with in your local district.Some might go the whole hog and ask questions about everything ,or just is the landlord ok with having a gun owner renting off them and that there isa a firearm on the premises.Simple reason is what happens if the landlord is anti gun and doesnt want a firearm on their property or has a no gun policy on their rentals?Not very common but it is one that has to be considerd too.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Errr NOPE! The landlord does have to be informed

I'm willing to be corrected if you point to the specific legislation where it says that.

EDIT:

On re-reading this seems a little more terse than it needs to be.

What I'm saying is that there's no legal requirement to involve the landlord. It's definitely good practice and you might have to in order to get permission to mount a safe on a wall or you might have to if the Super says you do, but there's nothing written in law (to the best of my knowledge) that says "if you're living in rented accommodation you must declare that to the Super and he/she must check you out with the landlord".

I'm willing to be corrected if you point to the specific legislation where it says that.

EDIT:

What I'm saying is that there's no legal requirement to involve the landlord. It's definitely good practice and you might have to in order to get permission to mount a safe on a wall or you might have to if the Super says you do, but there's nothing written in law (to the best of my knowledge) that says "if you're living in rented accommodation you must declare that to the Super and he/she must check you out with the landlord".

Id say it probably just depends on your Super.

I know lads in different parts of the country that had full house inspections where they send out the CPO and every door and window is checked and double checked and alarms tested etc. Then I know other lads (like myself) who just get the odd visit from a regular Garda who wouldn't even know where to begin to see if the safe complies with BS7758.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

EDIT:

You are right .It isnt in law at all, but it seems to be "good practise" or a public service by the AGS to let the landlord know and ask are they OK with having tenants with guns on the premises.[Never been a problem to me .] Anyone who has lived in our property e have had a call from the local FO to see if we agree or are ok with it.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement