Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do first time buyers on Primetime get 400k? What jobs have they? Is it staged?

Options
  • 19-05-2014 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

I am watching Desperate House Buys on RTE now. There are first time buyers paying 400k for 3 bed semi detached houses. Where do they get the money from? What banks are giving them this money? Or do these first time buyers just have it in savings in their twenties and thirties?

What jobs pay 60k a year that are secure that the banks would give mortgages for?
    I realise u will say public sector but they have not recruited for years now.
    I realise u will say IT but I know there aren't tens of thousands of jobs in this, other countries can provide these services e.g India.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭surpy

Id guess they have a mix of good salary and 10% savings

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I am not watching it but it depends on their age,earnings and savings.
    A loan of 400k for a couple in their 30's earning 60k each with no kids would not be crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

anynews14 wrote: »
    I am watching Desperate House Buys on RTE now. There are first time buyers paying 400k for 3 bed semi detached houses. Where do they get the money from? What banks are giving them this money? Or do these first time buyers just have it in savings in their twenties and thirties?

I'm early 30's I've 100k in savings and am not looking to have my other half on the mortgage so I can buy up to say e350k. So if a couple had this amount (or if they had it each) they would easily be able to afford 500-600k

It's crazy money and I wouldn't commit my savings to investing in Ireland in that way but clearly some people are buying to live in Ireland foreve and to die in

• Registered Users Posts: 28 anynews14

What jobs pay 60k a year that are secure that the banks would give mortgages for?
    I realise u will say IT but I know there aren't tens of thousands of jobs in this, other countries can provide these services e.g India.

Plenty of jobs out there paying that and more.
    secure is permanent.

They'll lend slightly more to civil servants buy they do lend to permanent private sector too.

if you're on 60+ its not unreasonable to think you have transferable skills

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,681 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The current market has house prices rising, given the buyer is adding 10% of a deposit the bank is in a relatively strong position that they will not lose anything should the buyer fail to repay they can sell it on for a profit. Security of job won't matter if the current salary figures add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

The Bank of Mammy and Daddy.
    Remember the generation that pulled the ladder up after themselves?...still plenty of wealth in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I work with Indians every day. I don't think outsourcing will really move past the low end jobs for a long time yet, derived from my personal experience. They have a very unusual culture that's not very suited to the business world. Outsourcing has also not reaped the benefits envisioned. Plenty of multinationals now have in-source policy's and rank hiring locations in the US and Europe above Asia and other outsource specific country's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

Zamboni wrote: »
    Remember the generation that pulled the ladder up after themselves?...still plenty of wealth in the country.

I have a Uncle who got a lump sum of €120,000 when he retired from the public sector, and all his mates got the same ( 18 months salary tax free ). He helped his 2 kids, my cousins, get on the property ladder now. That's how they done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Engineers, accountants, solicters, bankers, etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Yeah when I think of it both my parents and my girlfriends parents are sitting on nearly 1.5 million in property atm and would be overall owe maybe 100k to the banks. That's a pretty amazing amount of asset wealth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭killers1

surpy wrote: »
    Plenty of jobs out there paying that and more.
    secure is permanent.

They'll lend slightly more to civil servants buy they do lend to permanent private sector too.

if you're on 60+ its not unreasonable to think you have transferable skills

They actually lend slightly less to civil servants and any other occupation with a mandatory pension levy. A person in the private sector with the same €60k income as a civil servant will qualify for a higher loan amount.

killers1 wrote: »
    They actually lend slightly less to civil servants and any other occupation with a mandatory pension levy. A person in the private sector with the same €60k income as a civil servant will qualify for a higher loan amount.

i didn't know that. i had automatically assumed the job security was worth a bit more to them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

surpy wrote: »

BOI and some other lenders have reduced their lending multiples for civil servants and some other public sector employees (including members of An Garda Síochána) because of the virtual abolition of many of the allowances and the severe curtailment of overtime that used be considered a buffer by lending institutions.

At present- it will stand to you working in a permanent public sector job- however, the multiple they are willing to lend to you may be lower than for private sector jobs, which are viewed as having vastly better prospects for wage increases.

I know it sounds counter intuitive- its just the way they've changed their calculations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Plenty of people have been saving since the bubble burst, seems obvious enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,634 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Don't read too much into that programme, it was full of crazy folk transported in from 2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Where do they get the money from? What banks are giving them this money?
    Banks are lending to the people they want to lend to. If a bank doesn't lend it doesn't make money. I was mortgage approved from TSB and BOI (AIB refused me).
    Or do these first time buyers just have it in savings in their twenties and thirties?
    Myself and OH are 8 years out of college, avoided buying until we were ready, saved what I could, we have a deposit of approx 50k saved now (incl 10k inheritance from a deceased granny).
    What jobs pay 60k a year that are secure that the banks would give mortgages for? I realise u will say IT but I know there aren't tens of thousands of jobs in this, other countries can provide these services e.g India.
    IT and Finance in our situation. This idea of a "secure" job for life is long gone, and the banks are beginning to realise that. India can't do everything. I'd be more worried about Robots (computers) taking my job than India. And yes, there are tens of thousands of jobs in IT.

I'm just illustrating the type of person that the show profiled (I didn't see the show, just going off your post). There are a lot of people in my position. I realise I've been lucky both with career choices and purchasing history, but I'm not alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You need to remember that the bursting of the bubble and the recession primarily affected those who were overextended on property and those working construction and related sectors.

Most other workers saw salary drops of 10% or less - many so no drop at all, simply a pay freeze - while the cost of living and rents dropped. As economists have been saying for a while, savings went through the roof during that time, meaning that you have plenty of people in their late 20s/early 30s, with €50k+ in savings, and permanent jobs. It wasn't a case that everyone became penniless and broke; the 86% of people still in employment by and large battened down the hatches and saved a load of money. Even those with mortgages did pretty well since tracker rates are so low. You'll find a large cohort of people in negative equity on their property while sitting on €50k of savings. Banks will give them new mortgages provided they rent out the existing property.

As mentioned above, let's not also forget the bank of Daddy & Mammy. Those in the 50+ age bracket likewise will have seen their costs drop massively with wages staying the same. Combined with any existing savings they made during the boom, they can now throw an extra 10 or 20k onto their childrens' deposits.

For two working people, a €400k mortgage isn't that big. That's two €45k salaries - a fairly typical salary for a young professional 5-10 years out of college - the exact people who didn't buy during the boom and are now champing at the bit to buy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Despite what people think a lot of people made a lot of money over the last 20 years. Since the 1960s Ireland has become a big property owning country with smaller families. People die and now leave property to 2/3 kids whereas before the 1960s there wasn't a lot of property to be inherited and there were bigger families claiming a share of the estate.

seamus wrote: »
    For two working people, a €400k mortgage isn't that big. That's two €45k salaries - a fairly typical salary for a young professional 5-10 years out of college - the exact people who didn't buy during the boom and are now champing at the bit to buy.

Net monthly combined about €5,800
    10% deposit
    Repayments on €360k 30Yr 5% roughly €2k

If they limit themselves to one child perhaps.
    Childcare will destroy disposable income.

• Advertisement

One thing is for sure in Dublin - The conventional relationship between property prices and the borrowing potential of an FTB is diminishing rapidly.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

10% deposit

You're making the mistake of assuming that people are that forward-thinking. It's just like 2006 - "How do we get a mortgage", is more important than, "How do we afford the mortgage".

Many people with a child will have the grandparents providing full-time childcare, or they are planning to, or that's what they tell the bank. They're not considering whether that will still be the case in 5 years time.

You're making the mistake of assuming that people are that forward-thinking. It's just like 2006 - "How do we get a mortgage", is more important than, "How do we afford the mortgage".

Many people with a child will have the grandparents providing full-time childcare, or they are planning to, or that's what they tell the bank. They're not considering whether that will still be the case in 5 years time.

I hate this country when we have to "account" for idiocy.

I'm the idiot for forgetting the fact that people are financially imprudent :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

10% deposit

I think you're closer to a combined income of ~5000 after you take into account pension contributions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

There are tens of thousands of jobs in this.

And there are tens of thousands of jobs in Financial Services and in Pharma.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I work with Indians every day. I don't think outsourcing will really move past the low end jobs for a long time yet, derived from my personal experience. They have a very unusual culture that's not very suited to the business world. Outsourcing has also not reaped the benefits envisioned. Plenty of multinationals now have in-source policy's and rank hiring locations in the US and Europe above Asia and other outsource specific country's.
    Many people who don't work in IT really don't understand this. I have seen more work come back from India than stay at around 80%. The whole RBS mess has also made it more likely jobs will never be outsourced.

Having worked with Indian outsourced teams The quality of work has been appalling. There is certainly a cultural issue where the idea of making sure something is working doesn't seem to be a consideration. The difference between an amateur and a professional, amateur does it till the get it right once where a professional does it till he doesn't get it wrong.

I'd be more worried about eastern block IT workers as they seem to be really good. There are huge security risks so that is a problem outsourcing to there.

You simply can't outsource a lot of work either as you need to be on site.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Yeah I agree, and then the common follow on is to blame the bank - "Why won't the bank give me a mortgage?" rather than "Maybe the bank are right, maybe we can't afford that much long-term, perhaps we should evaluate what we should buy"

jon1981 wrote: »
    I think you're closer to a combined income of ~5000 after you take into account pension contributions.

Your ninja edit had me confused there ;)
    Haha I can't win on this thread - I get done for not accounting for the fact that Irish people are financially imprudent and then I get done if I assume most young couples don't have pensions :D

Either way, if you include pension contributions into the equation it further questions the capacity for a couple on a combined income of €90k to service a €400k property / €360k mortgage.
    And that is going on current interest rates.

Everything is pointing to accumulated wealth fueling this Dublin bubble Whether directly by investors or through inter-generational transfers.

This really is another major f*ck up in the making.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

You need to remember that the bursting of the bubble and the recession primarily affected those who were overextended on property and those working construction and related sectors.

Most other workers saw salary drops of 10% or less - many so no drop at all, simply a pay freeze - while the cost of living and rents dropped. As economists have been saying for a while, savings went through the roof during that time, meaning that you have plenty of people in their late 20s/early 30s, with €50k+ in savings, and permanent jobs. It wasn't a case that everyone became penniless and broke; the 86% of people still in employment by and large battened down the hatches and saved a load of money. Even those with mortgages did pretty well since tracker rates are so low. You'll find a large cohort of people in negative equity on their property while sitting on €50k of savings. Banks will give them new mortgages provided they rent out the existing property.

As mentioned above, let's not also forget the bank of Daddy & Mammy. Those in the 50+ age bracket likewise will have seen their costs drop massively with wages staying the same. Combined with any existing savings they made during the boom, they can now throw an extra 10 or 20k onto their childrens' deposits.

You're ignoring the fact that rents are very high again and also the higher taxes that we have been paying for a number of years now. Utilities are more expensive than ever before.

Cost of living hasn't dropped at all. It's gone up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

This.

Money doesn't disappear.
    It simply changes hands.

Advertisement