Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Land for residential development in Cork

Options
  • 19-05-2014 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

I'm watching the special on houses and house prices on RTE. Do people think there is a shortage of residential homes in Cork at the moment? Can you think of any land close to the city centre which could be rezoned for property?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

I don't know about the shortage, but much of the north and south docklands is earmarked for residential development. It'll be some time before it happens, as environmental work (capping?) and possibly flood preventions have to be put in place before much of the land can be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Lambofdave

Dunkettle house and lands is zoned I think for up to 1200 houses

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Kazbah wrote: »
    I'm watching the special on houses and house prices on RTE. Do people think there is a shortage of residential homes in Cork at the moment? Can you think of any land close to the city centre which could be rezoned for property?
    Same general issue as dublin but on a far smaller scale, we should be looking at providing high quality apartments in relatively high rise buildings in the city centre. If we need to rezone a few derelict buildings or similar to achieve this then there is no harm in that as long as services such as parks, recreation are provided too.

But the key would be quality, i am quite sure there are thousands working in the city centre commuting in every day, if you got a fraction of these to move to city centre locations it would free up the market in the commuter areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

What drives me mental with housing developments in Cork is the lack of joined up thinking in terms of road access.

The boom saw many new estates built, especially on the south side of the city (thinking Grange, Douglas etc). These estates were built off of old road architecture which was already in place.

However, no new roads were built to aid with increased traffic which essentially is being funnelled into the old roads which aren't capable of taking the traffic.

Compare this to the grid system which is seen in Togher and Ballyphehane which works incredibly well and disperses traffic very well instead of having it depends on only 1 or 2 main feeder roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Knob Longman

What drives me mental with housing developments in Cork is the lack of joined up thinking in terms of road access.

The boom saw many new estates built, especially on the south side of the city (thinking Grange, Douglas etc). These estates were built off of old road architecture which was already in place.

However, no new roads were built to aid with increased traffic which essentially is being funnelled into the old roads which aren't capable of taking the traffic.

Compare this to the grid system which is seen in Togher and Ballyphehane which works incredibly well and disperses traffic very well instead of having it depends on only 1 or 2 main feeder roads.

The love of cul-de-sac's has a lot to do with it. And crap planning, You're spot on about Togher and Ballyphehane, Both are also inside the city boundary which also has a lot to do with it..

• Advertisement

The love of cul-de-sac's has a lot to do with it. And crap planning, You're spot on about Togher and Ballyphehane, Both are also inside the city boundary which also has a lot to do with it..

Grange is one place I have in mind. Essentially a single road going through the entire place with access to the city only at either end. Absolute madness in terms of traffic planning. In addition, I'm unsure how any housing can be developed south of Frankfield due to previous housing estates being developed there previously. There'll be no way to access the Grange Road from any potential new developments.

I could be here for the night describing other places which lack road architecture on the south side alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

There are empty housing estates all over upper rouchestown and ballincollig. Not to mention about 50 idolhouses across from pairc Rinn. Idol tower has how units empty?

There are empty housing estates all over upper rouchestown and ballincollig. Not to mention about 50 idolhouses across from pairc Rinn. Idol tower has how units empty?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

Same general issue as dublin but on a far smaller scale, we should be looking at providing high quality apartments in relatively high rise buildings in the city centre. If we need to rezone a few derelict buildings or similar to achieve this then there is no harm in that as long as services such as parks, recreation are provided too.

But the key would be quality, i am quite sure there are thousands working in the city centre commuting in every day, if you got a fraction of these to move to city centre locations it would free up the market in the commuter areas.

Spot on! Quality is the key and services (parking, creches, shops, etc.). Ghost estates are just that for this reason - poorly built, poorly designed and in far away from services.

Areas of the city centre like Wellington Road and Lower Glanmire Road should be among the most sought after locations in Cork but instead lie derelist because developers either can't or won't take them on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

No need to build more houses, jaysus no there are loads of places around that are empty..What they should be concentrating on is using spaces to put nice parks and things like that not more houses no one wants them

With the big container port development in Ringaskiddy, will the port area out in Tivoli be closing completely ?

If so, this would be a perfect location for new housing. Obviously, facilities and such would have to be provided. The biggest bonus of locating housing here would be that a train line runs alongside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

Milly33 wrote: »
    No need to build more houses, jaysus no there are loads of places around that are empty..What they should be concentrating on is using spaces to put nice parks and things like that not more houses no one wants them

The thing is no one wants the houses that are empty but they do still want quality houses, which is the key.

If the demand is there and the supply is not then that drives prices up and the empty houses become even less attractive so there's no point in investing to get them up to an appropriate standard.

They cant all be that bad. Like the Elysan are you kinda saying that isn't rented because its not up to spec, those ones in Rochestown/Maryborough that Ridge done they look pretty sweet, theres a whole pile of them in Ballinlough..

Not I get that fine they aren't building like they used to but that doesn't mean they should build more. Was up in Dublin there and the place just looks dark and dreary every corner, spot is filled with houses that's all you see, no spare.. Space is good you need it breath... If they put up more houses then those that are there and just going to be left go to ruin.. Would it not be a smarter idea if this is the reason why there are some idle houses to bring these up to standard rather than building a new one..Its so wastefull

Im not been cheeky there I just don't honestly see that side of it tis all good chat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Lambofdave

With the big container port development in Ringaskiddy, will the port area out in Tivoli be closing completely ?

If so, this would be a perfect location for new housing. Obviously, facilities and such would have to be provided. The biggest bonus of locating housing here would be that a train line runs alongside it.

A far better use could be made of that site then for housing

exactly no more houses

Milly33 wrote: »
    exactly no more houses

You'll be quite surprised how fast the majority of empty houses will be filled once the economy turns a corner.

We have the fastest growing population in Europe (still). People will have to live somewhere. If indeed all of the Tivoli port moves to Ringaskiddy, then it will be prime land for high density accommodation.

Close to the city centre and with a rail link to boot.

Lambofdave wrote: »
    A far better use could be made of that site then for housing

Such as....

The only other usage I could see would be as a Park. However, is there the appetite to build a 3rd park after Tramore Valley Park and Marina Park ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 433 ✭✭lolosaur

The old cineplex.
    the green area on western road accross from ucc west wing that isnt open to the public.
    the green beside the new bridge on the mardyke.
    bishopstown gaa pitch.
    The lee fields.
    bishop lucey park.
    The roundabout at wilton.
    Pairc ui rinn.
    could throw a few in by st. finbarrs cathedral car park.

Could have a load of houses bult on the top floor of the multi story car parks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭thejuggler

I would like to see housing built on the tank field in Murmont/Montenotte. I'd be first in line to buy one. Plus it would piss off the save the tank field group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Knob Longman

thejuggler wrote: »
    I would like to see housing built on the tank field in Murmont/Montenotte. I'd be first in line to buy one. Plus it would piss off the save the tank field group.

What a stupid comment.. Tinkers Cross would be even worse for traffic then..

Advertisement