Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friend got DJI Phantom 2

• 19-05-2014 11:46pm

This is an amazing gadget, I could see someone having endless hours of fun with one of these.

I'm sure there are those who will fly them in stupid places but my friend flies in fields, close enough to village but not over people and houses.

The views from high altitude are amazing, the Go Pro 3 quality is amazing. Though 30 Mbs recording on super fine is a bit high and maybe for the purist, it will eat up space. 30 Mbs is about blu ray bit rate.

Please, Please lets not get this thread full of people waffling on about legalities and "what if the battery dies and it falls and hits someone in the head" As I said, it will not be flown near houses or people so there is no danger to anyone and it's not going to be an issue.

Lets keep this discussion about the Phantom 2 and only phantom 2 or equivalent.

It's sad that these days on Boards that you have to make half your post pleading not to turn it into a BS debate.

Pics to follow.

Comments

Here she is.

DSC_0033-1-1.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Really love to see this in action, as it's something I've been considering getting myself.
    Thinking about the Phantom 2+ Vision, but would prefer to use the GoPro.
    Was it bought it Ireland?

I think if it were me I too would go with the Phantom 2 Vision+. I think the bitrate of the recording on the GoPro is too high, fine for professionals but it takes up huge amounts of space, this is Blu Ray quality territory. The quality is exceptionally good though.

On my friends I changed it from super to the one below, we haven't tested it yet, so I say the camera on the vision + would be more than good enough.

I don't know what setup he chose but he has a monitor, where the vision + can use Ipad/phone, Androis etc which would save a few quid + the range on his camera is pure rubbish where the vision + has an RF amplifier to boost the signal from the cam.

It's great to see in action. It goes up so high you can hardly see it, one reason to have a camera, there is an option underneath the remote to increase the range of the remote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

the vision also has a camera gimble that can swivel up and down which is pretty cool too.

I was going to get one this year but seeing as they are about 900 quid, I realised I simply couldn't afford it. Maybe next year! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭corkcity

picking up the dji phanton 2 vision next month :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    cat wait:D:D

• Advertisement

corkcity wrote: »
    picking up the dji phanton 2 vision next month :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    cat wait:D:D

Vision or vision + ?

I would advise you to get a 2nd battery, you'll find yourself wishing you got one after your first flight ! :D

You can get a parallel charger on Amazon to allow you to charge 2 at the same time.

will be getting the extra battery .half the price if bought with the unit .really lookin forward to it

nearly 1k .dear little buggers

You'll love it, I wish I was getting one too, plenty of fields here to fly it.

You can turn up the controller for greater range. not sure which direction to turn the variable resistor underneath. There are guides on the web.

will be adjusting the controller for the extra range but as its my first quad ill keep it where i can see it for a while .dont want to lose 1m of copter:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭tf2

Anyone put any vids on youtube of them here in Ireland? I'm really considering investing in one.

nearly 1k .dear little buggers

They are al right. But You'll love it.

tf2 wrote: »
    Anyone put any vids on youtube of them here in Ireland? I'm really considering investing in one.
    yes there is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhHwcfb074c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭tf2

Not the best quality but its pretty cool seeing it as a stereogram!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭audidiesel

I just ordered the phantom 2 vision+ there with the extra battery literally ten minutes ago!
    Shipping in 3-5 days. Cannot wait for this baby to arrive. Expensive, but I think im going to get the value out of it.

Different version of that cork vid here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV9bQYAdX94

audidiesel wrote: »
    I just ordered the phantom 2 vision+ there with the extra battery literally ten minutes ago!
    Shipping in 3-5 days. Cannot wait for this baby to arrive. Expensive, but I think im going to get the value out of it.

You will love it al right, I didn't get a chance yet to actually fly it, I'd love to but I don't want to risk crashing it on my mate.

You'll definitely appreciate getting the 2nd battery.

You can get a parallel charger from amazon see below. It will charge up to 3 with the 15 amp charger, but you must only charge 2 or more at a time or risk damaging the battery electronic protection board. When charging one then use the original charger.

51mvN4cHQHL._SL1500_.jpg

One other important thing to remember with these batteries is never store them fully charged, not even for a day.

When you come back from a flight charge until the 3rd light has stopped flashing and then charge the rest before flight, and when you come back don't leave at a low charge which is just as bad.

If not using for a long time store when the 3rd led has stopped flashing.

Here's a low cost alternative to the Phantom II

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__55141__Quanum_Nova_FPV_GPS_Waypoint_QuadCopter_PNF_PRE_ORDER_.html

You need to buy a LiPo battery, charger, charger powersupply and remote. The Icharger range are very good chargers.

Here's another, it's the Walkera QR X350 Pro, not sure yet of the advantages over the Phantom II.

Link to Forum http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2085032

Features:
    • Quick assembly
    • Completely Ready to Fly
    • Up to 2 km / 1.24 miles
    • Up to 25 minutes flight time
    • Gimbal ready for camera anti-vibration 2-axis stabilization (new Walkera G-2D)
    • New FPV camera called the ILook included in the FPV1 Pro package
    • First Person View (FPV) flight
    • FatShark compatible (multi bands)
    • WIFI option for smart phones
    • GPS and "One Key" Return to Home
    • GPS Auto Pilot functions
    • Failsafe auto RTH and Land
    • Low voltage protection
    • Devention DEVO F7,10 computer radio
    • Easy to see LEDs
    • Balance charger with world compatible wall adapter for travel.

a6422435-15-QR-X350-PRO-a.jpg?d=1389942779

can i ask where you bought it from please

can i ask where you bought it from please

yeah no bother, I bought it from the makers http://www.dji.com

just hover your mouse over for everyone and you get all the models there

• Advertisement

yeah no bother, I bought it from the makers http://www.dji.com

just hover your mouse over for everyone and you get all the models there
    did you get this yet

ordered mine yesterday :):):)

yeah I got it yesterday. just as the weather went miserable. Had a few flights though. Managed a small crash when I panicked slightly.

Other than that, really easy to fly and great fun. Im still flying line of sight but moving on to flying with the camera next.

This is the single coolest thing I own!

yeah I got it yesterday. just as the weather went miserable. Had a few flights though. Managed a small crash when I panicked slightly.

Other than that, really easy to fly and great fun. Im still flying line of sight but moving on to flying with the camera next.

how many days did it take to arrive . placed my order Sunday and it says pay confirmed but still says shipping pending .DHL currier is delivering I think.hope your enjoying it

it took a few days alright. It was in china for 2-3 days and Germany for a day. arrived the following day then via dhl.

I ordered mine the 31st and got it the 9th. so just over a week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Also got one. Ordered from Quadcopters.ie on Friday and it arrived on Monday, good service. Went for a test flight on Sandymount in the evening and it is seriously good fun.

Has anyone looked into getting certified/the license?

Gavin wrote: »
    Also got one. Ordered from Quadcopters.ie on Friday and it arrived on Monday, good service. Went for a test flight on Sandymount in the evening and it is seriously good fun.

Has anyone looked into getting certified/the license?

Yeah it's amazing to watch, I never actually flew my mates, it's too expensive if I crash it lol.

Depends where you are, if you think you'll "need" a license or not, I mean if there are a lot of people around, you're not allowed fly it in built up areas or around people.

Where my mate flies it's all fields, so no issues.

You're supposed to have insurance too I think ?

I think there are different rules if there is no camera, but it's not much fun without the camera I don't think. Then you'd be better off with a flame wheel or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

Yeah it's amazing to watch, I never actually flew my mates, it's too expensive if I crash it lol.

Depends where you are, if you think you'll "need" a license or not, I mean if there are a lot of people around, you're not allowed fly it in built up areas or around people.

Where my mate flies it's all fields, so no issues.

You're supposed to have insurance too I think ?

I think there are different rules if there is no camera, but it's not much fun without the camera I don't think. Then you'd be better off with a flame wheel or something.

I have an ar drone 2 that I fly in fields, but I thought that you only need a license for autonomous aircraft. Technically the phantom & ar drone can be controlled manually so how does that work?

As a side note, anyone considering a bebop drone?

2km range which I'm getting currently on the ar drone with a few mods, but the camera looks great on this!

14 mins flying time is ok if true, you'd need 2-3 batteries.

Looks a great device, much smaller than the Phantom too ?

I wonder can it go as high as the Phantom II ?

afaik, once it is rc you need a license, and if it's got a camera it costs a lot more and you need insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

afaik, once it is rc you need a license, and if it's got a camera it costs a lot more and you need insurance.

Checked on MACI as I was unsure

http://www.maci.ie/safety/SI-25-2000.pdf
    (2) The Order shall not apply to:
    (c) to a model aircraft of less than 1.5 kilograms maximum weight less fuel and
    constructed of wood, paper or frangible plastic containing no substantial
    parts and operated in a manner that does not create a hazard to persons,
    property or other aircraft.

Think that covers the ar drone anyway, not sure about the phantom.
    14 mins flying time is ok if true, you'd need 2-3 batteries.

Looks a great device, much smaller than the Phantom too ?

I wonder can it go as high as the Phantom II ?

Bit of a step down in terms of flying time, I get can about 22 with a large battery on the ar drone.. As for height, 100m is the current max using the standard app but you can go as far as wifi range will reach in theory. I'd expect the bebop to be similar.

• Advertisement

I think there are different rules for drones ?

I know once it has a camera you need a special license.

Someone from Cork posted a video of his phantom footage and there was a bit of excitement over it all and he ended up having to get the "special" license costing I think 1500 Euros.

Advertisement