Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triton shower installation

Options
  • 20-05-2014 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

How do I go about it? Do I need a plumber or an electrician?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

How do I go about it? Do I need a plumber or an electrician?

both

no way a plumber can do the electrics anyhow

you could train a chimp to do the plumbing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

you could train a chimp to do the plumbing

If you could train the chimp to plumb you could train him to wire :pac:

what about the testing

could the chimp do that?

what about the testing

could the chimp do that?

Alot of installers only run their hand under the shower after it running for a few minutes so yes a chimp is quiet capable of doing that testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

You'd need an electrician. One that can plumb a shower.

At the end of the day. A plumber can't touch or intefer with a fuseboard.

If you follow the rules you need a registered electrical contractor these days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Make sure it is connected to an infinite water supply, or else the shower heating can will blow up.

In reality though, plumbing a shower is usually a lot simpler than wiring one. Both technically and physically.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Bruthal wrote: »
    Make sure it is connected to an infinite water supply, or else the shower heating can will blow up.

Id be more worred about the water charges :-)

Tuco88 wrote: »
    Id be more worred about the water charges :-)

Maybe the meter will explode if there are any fluctuations in water flow rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Bruthal wrote: »
    Maybe the meter will explode if there are any fluctuations in water flow rates.

I did hear that the water meters were sub standard but I think exploding is pushing it. It there no such thing as a water fuse? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,092 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

OP I'd ignore the monkeys above and phone a proper shower installation / repair company. The good ones will send out an electrician to wire it in & a plumber for the plumbing. There are no electricians that are good at plumbing & there are no plumbers I would trust with a fusebox. It's illegal now anyway.

Google "shower installation or shower repair. You want a company that only does showers. Ask to see insurance. The whole thing should cost €600 or less supply & fit with ttwo qualified tradesmen

Photo below is from an incorrectly installed shower, this is rare but it does happen. The pump is the most common thing to blow (& I mean blow) when the shower is incorrectly installed.

OP I'd ignore the monkeys above and phone a proper shower installation / repair company. The good ones will send out an electrician to wire it in & a plumber for the plumbing. There are no electricians that are good at plumbing & there are no plumbers I would trust with a fusebox. It's illegal now anyway.

What is illegal?

What is illegal?

plumbers and non registered electricians working on distribution boards

What is illegal?

Sorry I wasn't clear there at all. It is illegal for anyone but a certed electrician to work on a fusebox. And rightly so.
    Sorry for the confusion. :-)

Sorry I wasn't clear there at all. It is illegal for anyone but a certed electrician to work on a fusebox. And rightly so.

Incorrect, a registered electrical contractor may not be a qualified electrician, out of 10 RECs at random only 3 are qualified electricians. The other 7 do not have any qualifications.

Incorrect, a registered electrical contractor may not be a qualified electrician, out of 10 RECs at random only 3 are qualified electricians. The other 7 do not have any qualifications.

Yes you might be right. I was saying certed meaning reci. There are a huge amount of qualified electricians who are no longer registered so I guess they can't work on the board either.

There is a guy advertises in donedeal. Fully qualified electrician. Full install triton t90z €399 supplied & fitted. Now anyone will tell you this is impossible.

Few months back he drills into 3/4" pipe as he is hanging his shower. He runs out of the house never to be seen again. All they have is a mobile number. No landline, postal address, no insurance, nothing.

I get there an hour later. Place is flooded. Laminate on other side of wall in destroyed. Downstairs soaked too. We just blanked the pipe for the night. That shower cost them over €1500 by now. Cheap isn't always the best. Insurance is VERY important. We couldn't even use the cable he put in as it was 6mm. We use 10mm on all new installations now.

He runs out of the house never to be seen again. All they have is a mobile number. No landline, postal address, no insurance, nothing.

did they get his licence plate?

Here he is just before drilling the pipe.
    stock-photo-a-man-is-holding-a-power-drill-and-drilling-into-a-wall-he-is-wearing-a-mask-and-looking-away-15316978.jpg

Another exploding shower can on a shower he fitted previously.
    image-6-for-thieves-drilled-hole-in-wall-before-taking-off-with-2million-worth-of-artefacts-gallery-524700809.jpg

They got nothing. While van they think. No sign writing. Donedeal won't give out his details & yet he still advertises there.

• Advertisement

Ah its easy to make fun of it. Look nothing wrong with drilling into a pipe (well there is but) it could happen to anyone of us. Its not that he is an electrician a plumber could do the same thing. Its the no insurance & running off that is the problem. How does anyone expect to get a Triton T90Z installed for €399 & think no one is cutting corners. Most of the time you'll pay €230 to €250 for the shower itself (I know there are offers sometimes). If you run it in 10mm you must be talking just shy of €100 on electrical materials, rcbo, good quality pull cord etc. Another €30 - €40 for plumbing materials. It just can't be done.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Ok we have all had a good laugh :)
    Please keep the rest of the posts on this thread on topic.
    Thanks.

Advertisement