Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ptsb visa card

Options
  • 20-05-2014 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

Hi all - can anyone tell me from experience if an Irish permanent tsb visa debit card can be used like a visa in France? I couldn't use it in certain hotels in the US last year and am concerned for the holiday.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The problem with a debit card is that it doesn't operate like a credit card which is a problem for hotels and car hire firms.

A credit card is useful when renting a car, going on a cruise or staying in a hotel because what happens is that they reserve an amount of money off your credit limit to cover possible charges i.e. in case you do a runner from the hotel or bring the rented car back damaged. You don't actually see this as a charge (it won't appear on your statement) and when the transaction is completed the money is unlocked but it is never debited from your account.

Using a debit card in the same situations, they often actually debit the money from your account so you are temporarily at the loss of the money and if you have a low balance or overdraft limit, this can affect the amount of money you have to spend on holidays whereas with the credit card, you are not at the loss of any real money.

Advertisement