Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long Term Relationship - I can't end it / don't know how

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Glad you are seeing sense op. It's fair to both of you in the end that you have the chance to meet someone very special.

Have a plan in place to move out so she gets some space quickly. Don't offer to be friends but do answer all her questions gently. I wouldn't say it's been two years but I would make sure she knows there is no going back. It's also important that you know there is no going back so you don't turn to her when you are missing her or feeling lonely etc

I finished an engagement before and it was very hard but he has moved on and married since and I'm sure he is very happy. She deserves someone who loves the bones of her and each day you keep her is a day you are denying her that. Do it today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Good stuff OP. It's not easy but you clearly know that this is over. There's no way to approach it other than just blurring it out face to face. Be clear about your own reasons for ending it, be patient, be firm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Hey OP. I've been on the other side of this. After a 3.5 year relationship I was dumped out of the blue in a carpark in early January! The worst part though was that he admitted he'd realized he wanted to end it in early December but wanted me to enjoy my Christmas so waited until January to break it off.

I felt like crap, like everything all over Christmas was a charade: all the nights out, presents, weekend away for NYE. Now imagine your girlfriend dealing with the realization that the last 2 years of her life is a charade?

You need to man up and do it. It'll be difficult, there'll be tears and hurt but it's best for the long term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

Good stuff OP. It's not easy but you clearly know that this is over. There's no way to approach it other than just blurring it out face to face. Be clear about your own reasons for ending it, be patient, be firm.

I didn't read that.

I seem to be out of kilter with eveyone else, but I'm reading "I love this woman but not in love" "I want this relationship to work". I've probably para-phrased badly but that the jist of what I get :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Maphisto wrote: »
    I didn't read that.

I seem to be out of kilter with eveyone else, but I'm reading "I love this woman but not in love" "I want this relationship to work". I've probably para-phrased badly but that the jist of what I get :confused:

He doesn't want to marry / have kids with her and she wants both.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Maphisto wrote: »
    I didn't read that.

He's just processing the idea of the relationship ending and is struggling to come to terms with what he knows to be true. If he's saying he's pretty sure he doesn't see a future with her, then the other stuff he says is irrelevant. Idealistic subjectivity that will fade the further he gets from the relationship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

CaraMay wrote: »
    He doesn't want to marry / have kids with her and she wants both.
    He's just processing the idea of the relationship ending and is struggling to come to terms with what he knows to be true. If he's saying he's pretty sure he doesn't see a future with her, then the other stuff he says is irrelevant. Idealistic subjectivity that will fade the further he gets from the relationship.

OK got it, I'm back up with the rest of the class now.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi OP,

I'm going unreg for this as its deeply personal.

I've been on the receiving end of a relationship break up. Long term, thought we were madly in love, it wasn't perfect, but I was willing to do anything for him, and for us to work. He pretended that he felt the same.

Until one day I got a phone call on my way home from work saying we need to talk. I innocently thought he might be sick, or something major with his family etc.

He ended it. Said exactly what you are thinking, that he was not in love with me, he wanted to remain friends, but we had no future.
    I'm not going to lie, it BROKE my heart. I was inconsolable. I asked him never to contact me again. He seemed upset at this which I found a bit rich. We went from living together, being what I thought was madly in love, to beings strangers in the space of 5 mins. What I found most difficult was that my best friend and partner had in my eyes deceived me in every way, as he hadnt even discussed with me how he felt. The pretence that he kept up for what must have been months was the most hurtful.

BUT I got over it. It upturned my life, but with the benefit of hind sight I can now say that he did completely the right thing. So much iso that 2 years on I've never been happier. I am now in what is a fantastic relationship with someone I never thought it was possible to feel so good about and in love with. We have an open and honest conversations about how we feel, and I am so thankful to my ex for breaking up with me.

Please do it now. Dont wait any longer. Break up with her. Let her go off and live her life. Do not stay friends, as she wont be able to get over that. It will hurt you too, but you know what, you need to suck that up, and let her go. You have no right to keep lieing to her , just so you dont feel bad about hurting her. You owe her that much.

Advertisement