Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest achievements in football.

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

NIMAN wrote: »
    Anyone mentioned the Crazy Gang's rise up through the English leagues to winning the FA Cup?

I did yeah. Has to be the most impressive English domestic achievement given the resources available. Won't see the like of it again with the money in the game now.

Bstrds denied us a double.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

I am pie wrote: »
    Not really the greatest achievement is history, they have underachieved and now returned to the division they have consistently played in, fair enough they finished a few places higher than normal playing some nice football but I don't think it's quite fairytale stuff....

Im not saying its one of the greatest or fairytale stuff. But it has been a remarkable achievement for them. They could have gone the way of Pompey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Vast majority have been mentioned already so I'm not sure if I've missed this one, but how about Zambia in the 2012 African Cup of Nations? Just 18 years after 18 members of their team had died in a plane crash. On the way to winning it they beat Ghana and an Ivory Coast team loaded with European stars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Raf32 wrote: »
    Im not saying its one of the greatest or fairytale stuff. But it has been a remarkable achievement for them. They could have gone the way of Pompey.

It's not remarkable either, they've merely returned to the division where they have consistently featured in the mid to lower positions for more than 30 years. They have a new ground, a good manager and new funds from owners (who may be on their way, another discussion) to buy and secure players.

It's reward for good sporting and business practise but not remarkable at all. Their relegation was remarkable if anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

This thread would have been much better if it wasn't full of people posting about the team they support, or managers or players from that team.

For me I don't think you can look past Clough at Forest, well at least not in the realms of football with which I am familiar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Montpellier winning ligue 1

Twente winning the eredivise

Tahiti winning oceania

Mourinhos 9 year unbeaten home record

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Benimar wrote: »
    1976-77 Gains promotion to Division 1
    1977-78 Wins Division 1 as a newly promoted team
    1978-79 Wins European Cup at first attempt
    1979-80 Retains European Cup

That is some achievement.

This wins by miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I despise Chelsea and hate the whole Abrahamovic circus in the media but even as a United fan, I admire how they somehow huffed and puffed their way to winning the Champions League in 2012 with a caretaker manager against the best side in Europe in their own backyard. They were pretty much down and out three times in the competition but somehow found a way to pull it out of the fire. What football is all about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Never really copped it was that impressive until you see it written down like this. Incredible achievement really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

greendom wrote: »
    Not many teams have won the league unbeaten. Arsenal's season in '04 has to be up there.

Juve went unbeaten in 11/12 as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Didn't say it was.

But you did say Greece achievement was miles better, which is not correct IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Clough winning the League with Derby County ahead of Revie's Leeds and Shankly's Liverpool

Vujadin Boskov (RIP) winning the Scudetto with Sampdoria in 1991, their only one so far, would equal Simeone's title win with Atleti by the fact that they beat some fantastic teams to the title. Also led them to the Cup Winners Cup in 1989 and back to back Coppa Italia's in 1988 & 1989 and the European Cup Final in 1992 where they narrowly lost out the Cruyff's Dream Team.

The old Wimbledon - 9 years from Football League election to old First Division and then another 2 years until they won the FA Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,660 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Maradonna in mexico 86

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

glued wrote: »
    Van Gaal winning the European Cup with Ajax would be one of the best

This. People have mentioned Arsenal and Juve's unbeaten seasons but neither compare IMO.

That van Gaal team won the league UNBEATEN, and won the Champions League UNBEATEN, in the same season.

Nobody else has had a season unbeaten in the league and European Cup.

Only game they lost all season was in the cup, after extra time. Unbeaten in 90mins all season. Phenomenal.

Bear in mind that arsenal lost 6 games in their 'unbeaten' season.

Average age of that van Gaal team was 23

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,428 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Preston winning the double, not loosing a game in the league or conceding a goal in the cup in 88/89

1888/1889.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

I was going to say Greece winning the euros in 2004. But reading this. Don't think this can be topped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

My favourite is Mourinho's unbeaten home record in the league.

It lasted for 151 games, spanned 9 years and four countries. One of the most remarkable records in football.
    Sporting Gijon now have a special, if unwelcome, place in the remarkable list of records that Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho has already established in his relatively short managerial career.

Gijon's 1-0 win over Real at the Bernabeu courtesty of Miguel de las Cuevas' 79th-minute goal inflicted a first home defeat on Mourinho in 151 league games.

Back in February, Real's 2-0 win over Levante helped Mourinho mark the ninth anniversary since one of the four teams he has managed since 2002 - Porto, Chelsea, Inter Milan and Real - lost a league match at home.
    Prior to Saturday, the last time the self-styled "Special One" experienced a league defeat with a side that he coached was on 23 February, 2002, when Porto were beaten 3-2 by Beira Mar.

Since that defeat against Beira Mar in February 2002, 147 home league games have come and gone. Of those 147 matches, 122 have been won, with Mourinho's teams scoring 331 goals and conceding 87.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/9399728.stm

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

But you did say Greece achievement was miles better, which is not correct IMO.
    Would have saved some time posting that instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Messi's scoring feats in 2011/12 season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Staying closer to home I think Shamrock Rovers (Feel Sick) deserve a mention

only Part-time team ever to qualify for the europa league group stages and doing so after nearly dying 8 years earlier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Paully D wrote: »
    Vast majority have been mentioned already so I'm not sure if I've missed this one, but how about Zambia in the 2012 African Cup of Nations? Just 18 years after 18 members of their team had died in a plane crash. On the way to winning it they beat Ghana and an Ivory Coast team loaded with European stars.

:confused:

18 years is a long, long time.

The players that died were unlikely to still have been playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

All the main ones mentioned already, but what about Swansea. In the early 2000's they were a club in disarray and were at one point sold for £1. Narrowly avoided relegation from the football league on the last day of the 2002/3 season. 10 years later they had won the league cup, were competitive in the Premier League and had qualified for Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

I think porto losing one league game in 3 full domestic seasons deserves a mention

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,981 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Blackburn winning the 2002 league cup in their first season back in the Premier League after being relegated in 99.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Rangers unbeaten League Campaign in 2013/2014, incredible, take a bow Ally :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Clough winning back to back European Cups with Forest was some achievement.

I think we change the thread title to "second greatest achievement in football" because nothing is going to beat this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Cienciano wrote: »
    I think we change the thread title to "second greatest achievement in football" because nothing is going to beat this.

I agree, Clough's four years management of that Forest team to promotion, champions and European Cup holders twice in succession is the best managerial achievement in football.

While Ferguson had longevity, for most of the time Utd were financially head and shoulders above everyone else. Forest did nothing before and nothing since.
    cjmc wrote: »
    Maradonna in mexico 86

When if comes to individual footballers contributing to a team achievement, this must be right up there. Without Maradona, that would have been the worst Argentine team to play at a World Cup. An aging Passarrella and a relatively blunt Valdano were all it had.

With Maradona they became World Champions. Enough said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

St Francis getting to the Cup Final in 1990. 30,000 in Lansdowne Road, but Bray won out in the end. It would have been phenomenal had an intermediate side qualified for a UEFA competition.

Shamrock Rovers qualifying for the Europa League group stages. I think Partizan had spent €7M on a player not long before the tie. Cork City and Derry City getting to the first round proper of the UEFA Cup and Shels getting to the 3rd round of the Champions League were fantastic achievements as well, but didn't quite match Rovers'.

Not quite on the giant-killing scale, but the old Waterford FC won the league by beating Cork Hibs away with 3 goals in the last few minutes. 2-0 down and needed to win. But, as I say, rather than a sustained effort by teams not really given a chance, it was more of a smash and grab.

Linfield making the quarter-finals of the European Cup the year Glasgow Celtic won it. Lost by the odd goal. The competition was much smaller back then, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Giggs playing 960 games for the best team in Britain is pretty special - Maradonna practically winning a World Cup and the Serria A on his own was pretty special .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Hamburg won 7 games this season, finished 3rd from bottom with 27 points, losing the last 5 games without moving down in the table, then avoided relegation via a 2 leg playoff without even winning either tie.

An amazing achievement if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,912 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Oat23 wrote: »
    Hamburg won 7 games this season, finished 3rd from bottom with 27 points, losing the last 5 games without moving down in the table, then avoided relegation via a 2 leg playoff without even winning either tie.

An amazing achievement if you ask me.

More incredible given that they've never been relegated from the top flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    St Francis getting to the Cup Final in 1990. 30,000 in Lansdowne Road, but Bray won out in the end. It would have been phenomenal had an intermediate side qualified for a UEFA competition.

Shamrock Rovers qualifying for the Europa League group stages. I think Partizan had spent €7M on a player not long before the tie. Cork City and Derry City getting to the first round proper of the UEFA Cup and Shels getting to the 3rd round of the Champions League were fantastic achievements as well, but didn't quite match Rovers'.

Not quite on the giant-killing scale, but the old Waterford FC won the league by beating Cork Hibs away with 3 goals in the last few minutes. 2-0 down and needed to win. But, as I say, rather than a sustained effort by teams not really given a chance, it was more of a smash and grab.

Linfield making the quarter-finals of the European Cup the year Glasgow Celtic won it. Lost by the odd goal. The competition was much smaller back then, though.

Not to take away from Rovers achievement of getting to the group stage, but they got there after being knocked out of the 2nd qualifying round of the Champions league by FC Copenhagen then beat Partizan therefore qualifying for the first round of the Europa. Shels got knocked out of the 3rd qualifying round of Champions League by the previous years semi finalists Deportivo thus going into the first round proper of the UEFA cup. They also managed to get a result in that round unlike Rovers who failed on 6 attempts. Shels achievement was greater but it's overlooked as the structure of the UEFA cup was different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Alex McLeish getting villas main rivals relegated by playing some of the worst football ever seen, then being offered the villa job and becoming one of the top 40 paid managers in world football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I believe Aberdeen finished 3rd and 2nd the seasons prior to his arrival, and Dundee United won their first ever league title with a record points tally while Ferguson was at Aberdeen too.

Lots of old oil money swilling around Aberdeen back in those days too.....not a minnow by any means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Godge wrote: »

While Ferguson had longevity, for most of the time Utd were financially head and shoulders above everyone else.

Well this is false. Blackburn, Newcastle, Liverpool, Chelsea, Man City and Spurs would all debunk this point at one point or another.

Lots of old oil money swilling around Aberdeen back in those days too.....not a minnow by any means

What a load of Horse ****

And I don't even like Aberdeen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Dennis Bergkamps goal against Newcastle was one of the greatest achievements in football....he meant every bit of it.

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n275iW54o68

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Shamrock Rovers qualifying for group stages of the Europa league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Yes I am sure they will be talking for decades about Shamrocks European run of 2011. From the foothills of Tibet to the unchartered regions of the Amazon, they will forever speak about Shamrock reaching the Europa League Groups stage as Footballs greatest ever achievement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Champions League Winner Jimmy Traore.

What a load of Horse ****

And I don't even like Aberdeen

So there was no economic boom to the Aberdeen area from north sea oil back in the 80's......OK!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Mexico qualifying for this World Cup!
    2 wins in 10 and 4th out of 6!

So there was no economic boom to the Aberdeen area from north sea oil back in the 80's......OK!

What the **** does that have to do with the club?

There was economic boom in Ireland for 15 years and ahhhh well you know yourself.... Ok

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Getting a pay rise over a birthday cake will be quite something.

• Advertisement
Advertisement