Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waited 5 months for a download speed of 0.02 mb/s.

Options
  • 20-05-2014 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Over 5 months and numerous call-outs involving 12 engineers, 7 vans and a truck that tried to give me a telegraph pole (which I didn’t need) my internet has finally started working. I was told for 4 months that I could get efibre and had an engineer test the line, saying that the line was perfect and that it was capable of efibre. Furthermore an online test said I could get 50mb/s. When the router arrived 3 weeks ago it didn’t work. Phoned up and was told that the line could only hold a speed of 18mb/s. So the speed was lowered. Still didn’t work. Speed lowered this time to 8mb/s. Still didn’t work. Speed was lowered to 0.5 mb/s. Still didn’t work. Lowered to 0.2mb/s. Throughout all this engineers were sent out, who tested the line saying it was perfect and that they didn’t know what was up. Only the last engineer said the speed would be under half a megabit (Last Friday). TERRIBLE. Worst still, the ACTUAL download speed is 0.02mb/s. I was downloading a film on my xbox last night, took the whole night, literally. The film was only 1gb. I know for a fact that areas with this speed are classified as a no broadband area. SO HOW and WHY was I told I could get speeds of 50mb. I can’t help but feel that I have been conned into this service with the promise of high speeds. As I the broadband only started last week I am only a week into my contract yet two weeks ago I got a letter asking for €170 for installation (which should be free with my package) and that I should pay this by the 15th of May. Only a week in and I can’t wait to get out of the contract. Just to finish it all off, I got a letter specifically telling me to enjoy eircoms study hub (I am doing my LC) yet when I signed up Eircom blocked my access. What I’m asking for here is if there is a small chance of the speed increasing to the speed to that of a developed world.

I appreciate that my line is bad, but I don’t appreciate being lied to for over 5 months about what I’m getting.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Over 5 months and numerous call-outs involving 12 engineers, 7 vans and a truck that tried to give me a telegraph pole (which I didn’t need) my internet has finally started working. I was told for 4 months that I could get efibre and had an engineer test the line, saying that the line was perfect and that it was capable of efibre. Furthermore an online test said I could get 50mb/s. When the router arrived 3 weeks ago it didn’t work. Phoned up and was told that the line could only hold a speed of 18mb/s. So the speed was lowered. Still didn’t work. Speed lowered this time to 8mb/s. Still didn’t work. Speed was lowered to 0.5 mb/s. Still didn’t work. Lowered to 0.2mb/s. Throughout all this engineers were sent out, who tested the line saying it was perfect and that they didn’t know what was up. Only the last engineer said the speed would be under half a megabit (Last Friday). TERRIBLE. Worst still, the ACTUAL download speed is 0.02mb/s. I was downloading a film on my xbox last night, took the whole night, literally. The film was only 1gb. I know for a fact that areas with this speed are classified as a no broadband area. SO HOW and WHY was I told I could get speeds of 50mb. I can’t help but feel that I have been conned into this service with the promise of high speeds. As I the broadband only started last week I am only a week into my contract yet two weeks ago I got a letter asking for €170 for installation (which should be free with my package) and that I should pay this by the 15th of May. Only a week in and I can’t wait to get out of the contract. Just to finish it all off, I got a letter specifically telling me to enjoy eircoms study hub (I am doing my LC) yet when I signed up Eircom blocked my access. What I’m asking for here is if there is a small chance of the speed increasing to the speed to that of a developed world.

I appreciate that my line is bad, but I don’t appreciate being lied to for over 5 months about what I’m getting.

Hi LiverpoolLad95

I'm genuinely sorry to hear of this, there seems to be a lot of history with this considering all the works required which you details.

I have heard there were issues with study hub recently and all IP's were blocked however works to resolve this are ongoing.

0.02MB is very poor I agree. There also should be no connection free in most cases so please PM me your account number/landline number and I will look in to this further for you.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

As I the broadband only started last week I am only a week into my contract ... Only a week in and I can’t wait to get out of the contract.
    You should have a 14 day cooling off period where you can cancel it free of charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭LiverpoolLad95

To be fair, the people are nice and helpful, and I genuinely think that they actually thought I could get high speeds, I suppose lies was a harsh word but I'm just angry that the speed is so slow. If the speed was increased then yeah, I would love to stay. The main advantage eircom had over the old provider was the unlimited usage, no point having that if the speeds can't do anything. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭eircom: Colm

To be fair, the people are nice and helpful, and I genuinely think that they actually thought I could get high speeds, I suppose lies was a harsh word but I'm just angry that the speed is so slow. If the speed was increased then yeah, I would love to stay. The main advantage eircom had over the old provider was the unlimited usage, no point having that if the speeds can't do anything. 
    Hi LiverpoolLad95

Just checking further to Al's post here yesterday, have you PM'd him the Phone number so that this can be looked into in more detail?

thanks
    Colm

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭LiverpoolLad95

Hi LiverpoolLad95

Just checking further to Al's post here yesterday, have you PM'd him the Phone number so that this can be looked into in more detail?

thanks
    Colm
    I have thanks, and cheers for all the help. 

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi LiverpoolLad95

thanks
    Colm
    I have thanks, and cheers for all the help. 

Hi LiverpoolLad95

Apologies, I was not available yesterday, however I'm wondering if have time to take a call from me today in relation to my findings? I feel it would be best to discuss this so if you have the time please PM me a mobile contact number for you and a good time to call you.

Thanks
    Al

Advertisement