Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AH Infraction Appeal

Options
  • 20-05-2014 10:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure what happened to my first appeal. It seems to have disappeared. I sure I posted it because the thread title auto-completed for me. Perhaps someone can have a look and see if something went wrong.

In any case, I would like to appeal an infraction I received in AH. The infraction was received on this thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057200857

The post which attracted the infraction was

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90233974&postcount=2454

The infraction was for ignoring mod instruction.

I wish to appeal on two grounds. Firstly, I did not see the warning given. It was given in the op, which I had no cause to re-read. And it was given at the end of the title, which I simply did not notice. I understand that there is only so much you can do to bring these warnings to posters notice and that I cannot prove that I did not see it so I can only ask that you give me the benefit of the doubt.

In the event that you are not willing to give me the benefit of the doubt, I would argue that my post did not actually breach the mod warning. The mod warning specifically banned "Labelling people who disagree with you as "Shinnerbots". I did not label anyone who disagreed with me. I was not responding to anyone or replying to a post. I was not even talking about users of Boards. I was specifically talking about a group of people on another site who have a habit of appearing in an organised fashion on any story involving Sinn Fein. If there was to be simply a ban on the use of a word under any circumstance then this should have been stated as such. But it wasn't. It was quite clearly banned only in a certain context. The warning even added "If that's the extent of you debating skills" making it even more clear that the ban on the word was for using it during discussion. Again, my post was an individual one and not in response to any other post or poster on Boards.I realise that the job of AH mods isprobably amongthe most difficult but if there is to be arbitrary rules and taboos introduced on a thread by thread basis, I think it's only fair they be clearly established before a person is infracted instead of warned.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Since I've already given my thoughts on this in Feedback, I'll just cut out the middleman here.

A warning not to refer to people as "Shinnerbots" was posted the day before you posted:
    Have to laugh at all the comments from the Sinnerbots
    The warning was made in the thread, duplicated in the OP, as well as referred in the thread title. There's is nothing more the mod could have done to make you aware of the warning.

The reality is if you'd read the whole thread you would have seen it. The fact that your mobile cut off the title is not the problem of the mod.

Lastly, the wording of the warning was perfectly clear and I find your attempts to 'lawyer' your way out of it almost as baffling as your refusal to let this issue drop.

Infraction upheld. This ends here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement