Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Fitness test

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭20times

Rothmans wrote: »
    Out of interest. Did anyone have a go on the push-pull machine at the information day in Templemore?

I did, but he wouldnt give any indication of how any of us did at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭teaisgreat

Out of interest. Did anyone have a go on the push-pull machine at the information day in Templemore?

It was quite tricky as I'm only 5ft 3. We get to have a feel for it on the day and we tell them when we're ready to start so not too bad x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

20times wrote: »
    I did, but he wouldnt give any indication of how any of us did at it.

That's a shame. Defeats the purpose of the trialrun somewhat.
    teaisgreat wrote: »
    It was quite tricky as I'm only 5ft 3. We get to have a feel for it on the day and we tell them when we're ready to start so not too bad x

Are you a woman out of a matter of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭almeraguy

Gave it a good go alright. Stance is important. Just give it your all. No second chances on the day.

That's a shame. Defeats the purpose of the trialrun somewhat.

Are you a woman out of a matter of interest?

Ya I am, once you forget about the speed and focus it's not too bad though.

Never been able to do 25 press ups in one go. Just came in from a 7.5km run and said Id chance doing some, managed to do 25, delighted! The adrenaline must've been flowing 😂Struggled to reach 15 before!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

Is there still a beep test ?

Yeah, bleep test is the first thing you do in the test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

This bleep test is not easy to complete

hows the progress?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Was it just me, or did the 20 meters they had marked out for the bleep test in Templemore on the information day look alot longer than 20 meters?

Other than that Wilco, I'm closing in on the level 8.8. But I'm also going to start looking at the weights to make sure I don't fall down on the push/pull either! :eek:

What about yourself?

• Advertisement

Was it just me, or did the 20 meters they had marked out for the bleep test in Templemore on the information day look alot longer than 20 meters?

Other than that Wilco, I'm closing in on the level 8.8. But I'm also going to start looking at the weights to make sure I don't fall down on the push/pull either! :eek:

What about yourself?

Your right it did!

Also, running on grass and running on a court are two different things altogether

im doing alot of training, i fear nothing but the beep test..but i will be ready!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

All the best to all of ye, over the next few weeks guys and gals!

Be nice to see the boardsie's get through,

I'm sure ye all make superb gardai !

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭thedirtydevil

Couldn't attend the open day due to work commitments. Be grateful if someone could answer the following please;

Is the beep test done in the hall or outdoors? How many at a time doing it?
    Must the press ups be done in one burst or can you stop and take a break (by stop i mean you are still on all fours). Is it as per the video in that females can have their knees on the floor but men cant?
    Did they give an idea when they are starting?
    Any second chances on anything?
    Is the obstacle course still the same as the one on youtube?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭wobzilla1

Is the beep test done in the hall or outdoors? How many at a time doing it?
    It's done in the hall (Indoor basketball court) and there are ten people at a time#
    Must the press ups be done in one burst or can you stop and take a break (by stop i mean you are still on all fours).
    You can stop but you must stay with your hands and toes on the ground. You cannot fall to your knees or you'll be failed
    Is it as per the video in that females can have their knees on the floor but men cant?
    Yes, women get to do the easy ones. They fail if their hips touch the ground
    Did they give an idea when they are starting?
    Inspector that was in Templemore says they have not been told but expect last week in June for them to start
    Any second chances on anything?
    The obstacle course and push-pull are done one after the other. You have 3 minutes 20 to do the course and if you do it in less than 3, you can carry that ten percent to the push pull machine (Only have to get 22.5Kg rather than 25Kg).
    If you actually fail anything, your results will be given to HRM and they will decide if you will get to do the physical again or not.
    I have a colleague who was in the guards for 2 years and she failed the obstacle course on her first time. She was allowed to resit an passed it then. There was no beep test at that stage.
    Is the obstacle course still the same as the one on youtube?
    I'm in work and can't open youtube but basically it starts with a straight run (about 15 metres), then you turn right and weave through some cones, then up onto a balance beam. You then turn right and lift a car wheel from one platform to another.
    Then you turn again, duck under a barrier and immediately jump over an exercise mat (about 1.3m across). Then you turn left and grab the dummy (instructor advised us to grab him by both wrists). Then you turn right, run up and down some stairs, do a U turn and hop a standard farm gate, turn a corner and sprint back to the finish.
    You do three laps one after the other and nobody resets the placement of the wheel and the dummy so on the 2nd lap you'll be taking the wheel from the opposite platform and dragging the dummy by his ankles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Pewpewgibbz

Anyone got any idea of how much of an interval there is between the bleep test and the push/sit ups?

I wouldn't say there's much, maybe a few minutes.
    I find I can do much more press ups and sit ups immediately after a run anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭higglepiggle

Anyone got any idea of how much of an interval there is between the bleep test and the push/sit ups?
    Not much in between according to the instructors

If you fail any aspect of the physical, can you repeat it? Do any of ye know?

20times wrote: »
    If you fail any aspect of the physical, can you repeat it? Do any of ye know?

Its at the discretion of the director of training whether you will or not

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply. just did bleep test for first time (happy enough with all other aspects really) and hit 6.2 :( Thats my focus now for the next 2-3 weeks. suspect adreniline and everyone around in same boat will probably be another 1.0 to me really on the day! Will be pushing for 9.0 before the day for assurance!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Shifty13

Thanks for the reply. just did bleep test for first time (happy enough with all other aspects really) and hit 6.2 :( Thats my focus now for the next 2-3 weeks. suspect adreniline and everyone around in same boat will probably be another 1.0 to me really on the day! Will be pushing for 9.0 before the day for assurance!!

Bleep test will be the end of me :( . but you are right, the competition and the end goal will push you harder!!

Shifty13 wrote: »
    Bleep test will be the end of me :( . but you are right, the competition and the end goal will push you harder!!

i am over 26 so just saw my target is 8.1!! getting closer:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Shifty13

i am over 26 so just saw my target is 8.1!! getting closer:p

Damn you to hell haha. Trying to do the sit ups in the required time is proving difficult for me.

Anyone else finding it hard?

Shifty13 wrote: »
    Damn you to hell haha. Trying to do the sit ups in the required time is proving difficult for me.

Anyone else finding it hard?

Shove your feet under something...the ledge of a couch even, makes it easier! Also they said on the day that once our shoulder blades touch the floor, we can come back up again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

Anyone know a good android app for the bleep test?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 imagine88

Anyone know a good android app for the bleep test?

Type in the play store bleep test . It's the first one that comes up on mine anyways. Its a grey background with a blue runner. Thats the one I was told to work off and have been!

imagine88 wrote: »
    Type in the play store bleep test . It's the first one that comes up on mine anyways. Its a grey background with a blue runner. Thats the one I was told to work off and have been!

Yeah, that's the one I used, thanks, it's good. "Bleep Fitness Test" is what it's called for anyone out there looking.

Just did a run through on everything. Not pleased not disappointed, 7.4 on my first run, I've a week and a half to get that to 8.1, should be doable.

Sit ups were no bother got 32 done with 10 seconds to spare.

Quite concerned with my pushups though, got 13 done out of 22 before I was sapped which is worrying. Have a week and a half to get that to 22. Anyone have any tips?

I assumed you were in the first intake ShodenMcClane. I haven't really been posting since the superintendent interviews and all.
    Are you repeating the physical or doing it for the first time?
    I did the super interview and all but was just outside the 200 so haven't heard anything since

wobzilla1 wrote: »
    I assumed you were in the first intake ShodenMcClane. I haven't really been posting since the superintendent interviews and all.
    Are you repeating the physical or doing it for the first time?
    I did the super interview and all but was just outside the 200 so haven't heard anything since

Doing them for the first time, no I was outside the top 200 too. Hoping to make it into the second intake, just worried about the push ups, everything else should be okay by the physical I think.

Does every person who passes the public job interview also have to go for an interview with their local super or inspector ?

• Advertisement

3fullback wrote: »
    Does every person who passes the public job interview also have to go for an interview with their local super or inspector ?

Yes, local sargent then local super. I'd say this question is more suited to the stage 5 thread rather than the fitness thread if you have further questions though.

Doing them for the first time, no I was outside the top 200 too. Hoping to make it into the second intake, just worried about the push ups, everything else should be okay by the physical I think.

You've been called for a physical then?
    Have you already the medical done.
    I was under the impression that the next physicals are only for repeats

You've been called for a physical then?
    Have you already the medical done.
    I was under the impression that the next physicals are only for repeats

I have been called for medical but am trying to prepare for both anyway.

I have been called for medical but am trying to prepare for both anyway.

I suppose I'll give them a call to ask about mine so.
    I haven't actually spoken to them at all yet outside of the official emails.

Just keep doing push-ups all the time. Don't try to do a specific number, do them until you can't then have a rest and do another set of them (as if you were lifting weights and doing reps). Do 3 sets any time of the day you get a chance.

You'll be surprised how fast you improve.
    I've also noticed I can generally do more after running than if I just do them without a warm up. It may help on the day that you've done the beep test first

I suppose I'll give them a call to ask about mine so.
    I haven't actually spoken to them at all yet outside of the official emails.

Just keep doing push-ups all the time. Don't try to do a specific number, do them until you can't then have a rest and do another set of them (as if you were lifting weights and doing reps). Do 3 sets any time of the day you get a chance.

You'll be surprised how fast you improve.
    I've also noticed I can generally do more after running than if I just do them without a warm up. It may help on the day that you've done the beep test first

Cheers,

I'm booked in tomorrow with a personal trainer to go over form and technique for the pushups. It's the only thing I'l fail on at the moment. I'd be heart broker after a year and 15 different tests to go out over 8 pushups.

Is the running definately first?

I sent you a private message a few days ago but you mustn't have got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Bridel

For anyone that's done the fitness test, just a quick question about the push ups.. When doing them can you do them with legs open or do feet have to be beside each other?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Hank26

Bridel wrote: »
    For anyone that's done the fitness test, just a quick question about the push ups.. When doing them can you do them with legs open or do feet have to be beside each other?

I don't think they checked for that, they were more interested in bent elbows and lowering your chest to the mat.. You should be able to keep your legs slightly open for added balance...

Hank26 wrote: »
    I don't think they checked for that, they were more interested in bent elbows and lowering your chest to the mat.. You should be able to keep your legs slightly open for added balance...

Were the strict on the sit ups ? Like how far do you need to go back ?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Hank26

3fullback wrote: »
    Were the strict on the sit ups ? Like how far do you need to go back ?

The guy that was holding my feet was checking that my elbows came up to my knees and that my shoulders came all the way down to the mat.
    One minute is loads of time, just put a weight on your feet and practice like hell and sure you will be grand hi.

Hank26 wrote: »

What do you mean bent elbows? What are the checking for there? Have my physical Tuesday and the push ups are the only part I'm struggling with.

• Advertisement

What do you mean bent elbows? What are the checking for there? Have my physical Tuesday and the push ups are the only part I'm struggling with.

That your elbows are bent to 90 degrees on the way down

Did anyone find the pushups easier on the day with blood pumping, adrenaline etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Lojak

Did anyone find the pushups easier on the day with blood pumping, adrenaline etc?

yes every part of it is easier on the day , when your adrenaline gets going you should be fine. Just keep practicing as many as you can, go over the target if you can and try do nothing or maybe just a few the day before to give yourself a chance to rest. Best of luck :)

Lojak wrote: »
    yes every part of it is easier on the day , when your adrenaline gets going you should be fine. Just keep practicing as many as you can, go over the target if you can and try do nothing or maybe just a few the day before to give yourself a chance to rest. Best of luck :)

Cheers, I can't even hit the target as it is now, kept my cardio up for the last few months and let the upper body slide unfortunately, I thought I'd have more than a weeks notice given that I hadn't done the medical yet, nope. Medical and fitness within a week of a phone call.

Are you allowed compensate if you're a pushup or two shot cause I will 100% nail everything else on the day.

Cheers, I can't even hit the target as it is now, kept my cardio up for the last few months and let the upper body slide unfortunately, I thought I'd have more than a weeks notice given that I hadn't done the medical yet, nope. Medical and fitness within a week of a phone call.

Are you allowed compensate if you're a pushup or two shot cause I will 100% nail everything else on the day.

No im afraid not the only thing you can compensate it the obstacle course and the push pull. Just keep at them any chance you get do a few and your strenght will build in no time. How many do you have to do? and how many can you manage now?

Lojak wrote: »
    No im afraid not the only thing you can compensate it the obstacle course and the push pull. Just keep at them any chance you get do a few and your strenght will build in no time. How many do you have to do? and how many can you manage now?

22, 17 and fitness test is Tuesday.

You will be fine, the last five will come with a bit of hard work!! Just think its all that stands between you and templemore!!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mickaleen

If it takes you longer to complete them so be it. Tear into them, get as many done as you can before you get tired. If like me, you are caught for a few, even though its not ideal, I stopped but stayed in position. Gave myself a breather and pushed out the last two. It wasn't ideal but it was either that or collapse on the floor after 20.

Bit late now but did you try "grease the groove method"? So say instead of maxing out the number of reps you do half of what your able to do several times a day. Your muscles recover faster this way and your able to practice more. Your muscle memory should also build up faster this way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Blaireness

You'll be amazed at what the adrenaline will do on the day! And all of us around campus will be rooting for ye to make it through :)

Advertisement