Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best time to move over to get an apartment

Options
  • 20-05-2014 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

Hi all, I was thinking of moving over to Toronto in early September, however I was told it might be better to try go earlier to get in before the students come back for start of term.

I'm moving over with my girlfriend and we'll probably be looking to get a one bedroom place in the $800 - $1300 range. Would it make much difference if we headed over in September? I assume students would be looking for the same kind of cheap, house share kind of deals they do over here.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

nicolo wrote: »
    Hi all, I was thinking of moving over to Toronto in early September, however I was told it might be better to try go earlier to get in before the students come back for start of term.

I'm moving over with my girlfriend and we'll probably be looking to get a one bedroom place in the $800 - $1300 range. Would it make much difference if we headed over in September? I assume students would be looking for the same kind of cheap, house share kind of deals they do over here.

Good question actually. We're going over in mid-august to Vancouver so we've a similar concern.

I've also heard that places come on the market at the start of the month. Is it the case that they're vacant when they come on, and you can pretty much move in immediately when you find a place you like?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

A lot of the leases are from the 1st til the end of the month, so a lot become available to move into on the 30th/31st/1st, etc. They would usually be advertised for at least a month before that, once the previous tenant gives notice to move out (30days).
    So I would recommend coming over mid-month and spending a few days in a hostel/hotel/b&b/someones floor with the aim of securing a place to move into at the end of that month. Of course, you could land over on at the end of august and move into somewhere within 48hrs, but to get a feel for areas/prices/apartment types id recommend the above

• Registered Users Posts: 39 james182

September is probably the worst time to be searching for an apartment- school kids will be looking for a place as well so the rent will go up. Mid summer is what I'd think is the best time to get a good deal or some sort of promotion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭bopper

retalivity wrote: »
    They would usually be advertised for at least a month before that, once the previous tenant gives notice to move out (30days).

In Ontario you're expected to give 60 days notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I gave 30 and it wad grand...was renting from a management company too.
    Maybe it was just them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭bopper

retalivity wrote: »
    I gave 30 and it wad grand...was renting from a management company too.
    Maybe it was just them...

I'm sure a lot of property managers and landlords are fine with 30 days notice, but techically in Ontario the tenant is obliged to give minimum 60 days written notice (unless they pay their rent on a weekly basis). Otherwise they may have to pay an extra month's rent. Just something people should be aware of and should look into when hunting for a place.

Advertisement