Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to host a website

Options
  • 20-05-2014 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Recently I have been developing a website in asp.net and C#. I am trying to host the website and I haven't a clue how to do it. Anyone who has any suggestions on what I should do, fire away with suggestions.

I am not a great programmer so this why I am on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭L8rdude

You need to get a hosting provider (i don't think recommendations are allowed here), and probably a domain name.

Also check that the .net version you are using in your project is supported by your hosting site.

If you are using visual studio, look at the publishing options for your project.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Lad_Lad wrote: »
    Recently I have been developing a website in asp.net and C#. I am trying to host the website and I haven't a clue how to do it. Anyone who has any suggestions on what I should do, fire away with suggestions.

I am not a great programmer so this why I am on this.

Are you trying to host it locally on your own network or do you want to host it so that it is available online?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

If you want to host it locally for testing, use wamp. It's a handy little web server with PHP and MySQL built in as well.

Otherwise, self hosting would be a little more complicated from a few perspectives such as DNS and Security.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Itzy wrote: »
    If you want to host it locally for testing, use wamp. It's a handy little web server with PHP and MySQL built in as well.

Otherwise, self hosting would be a little more complicated from a few perspectives such as DNS and Security.

Does WAMP support asp.net now?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I never tried Wamp with ASP. I'd be interested in giving it a try but I don't have a Windows machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Are you trying to "host" the site simply to do some local testing or do you want to "host' on the public internet?

If it's for local testing then you probably want to read up on something like this:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/112455/how-to-install-iis-8-on-windows-8/

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lad_Lad

Are you trying to host it locally on your own network or do you want to host it so that it is available online?

I am trying to host it so that it is available online.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

You need a web host that offers windows hosting and a domain name (unless you plan on using a subdomain from your chosen web host).

If you aren't too familiar with hosting or domains, I'd recommend you buy both from the same supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lad_Lad

I am trying to host it online. What would be your suggestion?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Lad_Lad wrote: »
    I am trying to host it online. What would be your suggestion?
    Follow Graham's suggestion:
    Graham wrote: »
    You need a web host that offers windows hosting and a domain name

• Advertisement
Advertisement