Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭mayoman1973

How's this look for a safe house for my new Husky "Freddie"  .... He only comes out at night.  Anyone looking to "borrow" it had better be able to crawl on their belly to get near it as his kennel is just 1" higher than the mower and 2m deep. Access door is only accessible by removing a drop bolt after you wreck your head trying to find it. ( And hope our dog hasn't spotted them with their arse in the air as they crawl in or he literally will bite them a new one lol )

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

How's this look for a safe house for my new Husky "Freddie"  .... He only comes out at night.  Anyone looking to "borrow" it had better be able to crawl on their belly to get near it as his kennel is just 1" higher than the mower and 2m deep. Access door is only accessible by removing a drop bolt after you wreck your head trying to find it. ( And hope our dog hasn't spotted them with their arse in the air as they crawl in or he literally will bite them a new one lol )

I think they will be robbing your oil before they take Freddie! :)

I presume it doesn't have any issue with docking? The docking station signal manages fine through the mass concrete?

KCross wrote: »

I think they will be robbing your oil before they take Freddie! :)

I presume it doesn't have any issue with docking? The docking station signal manages fine through the mass concrete?
    Lol. Oil hasn't been touched yet but will need something similar. I had a loose block wall built at start till I got the opening right. He needs it to be about 2m wide as well to get a lock on the docking station when he does a drive by.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Well, a month and a half into my robomow install, and I am having some problems with the mower, and tbh, with the dealer also.

The mower was supplied and professionally installed by the dealer, and up to this week, has been working will with little to no probs. This week, I have had 3 x line cuts in three different places in the garden, and found my mower to be sitting lost and lonely next to or near the cut the following morning.

I paid 450 euro extra for the install on top of the price of the mower, 2300, so 2370ish in total.

When the first cut happened this week, I repaired it myself (I was supplied with one set of joiners). The next day, a second cut in a totally different spot, so, not being too happy about that, and a bit concerned, I rang the dealer (5th sept) to let him know as i was concerned at this stage about an install problem. We left it that I would fix the second cut and see how it goes.

Woke up this morning, to find my robomow sitting at the bottom of the garden, so I toddled off to have a look, and a third cut, again in a completely different part of the garden. This time, I said, I am not fixing it, three times in 4 days, there is something wrong. The mower appears to be cutting the lawn fine, its as good as ever, no gouging nothing funny with the way its running etc.

So I rang the dealer just now, and here is the response I got.

"never seen that before, especially after a month and a half of running fine"
    " What do you want me to do, what do you think will sort it"

I replied that there is an issue with the install, and he will have to come out and fix it. He then said that he would have to charge for that, wherin I then told him that I paid 450 for the install that he needs to stand over (just to note, the install prices I got from other automower suppliers ranged from 0 to 300 euro, but I went with him for a specific reason).

He then said that if he comes out, and its a simple fix, then he would have to charge me for it.

Define a simple fix I said, and he said that if it was simply a case of rejoining the wires he would charge me. Of course its going to be a case of simply rejoining the wires (for the thrid time in three different locations), but there is a bigger/different problem going on here.

Anyway, long story short, he said he would come out, not this week, not next week, but the week after, so I am being put on the long finger, probably he thinks that I may repair it myself and all will be ok in the mean time.

So, at this point, I'm at the stage of warning letters before starting going to the small claims court, I told him this, and that the solution is either take the mower back, or re-install the wiring, which I paid him 450 euro for. He said, do what you have to do pretty much.
    1 cut, okay, 2 cuts, alarm bells ringing, 3 cuts, something seriously wrong as far as I am concerned.

So here goes, will keep ye updated, but not a pleasant experience having forked out such an amount of money. I will be cc'ing robomow about these issues with this dealer also.

First cut (repaired by me adding a new short section of cable)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/nlwpmhugrh2z529/IMG_20170907_082935.jpg?dl=0

Second cut (repaired by me after talking to dealer)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/zjo4n7f3yu34u7d/IMG_20170907_083009.jpg?dl=0

3rd cut (happened last night/this morning), not repaired, and will be left as is until this is resolved or dealer takes back mower and refunds.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ftem5lfkikwchu2/IMG_20170907_083046.jpg?dl=0

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

€2400!!!

I had no idea they were that kind of money, thats nice ride on territory.

Sounds like you're dealing with a right Del Boy, best of luck.

• Advertisement

Well, a month and a half into my robomow install, and I am having some problems with the mower, and tbh, with the dealer also.

The mower was supplied and professionally installed by the dealer, and up to this week, has been working will with little to no probs. This week, I have had 3 x line cuts in three different places in the garden, and found my mower to be sitting lost and lonely next to or near the cut the following morning.

I paid 450 euro extra for the install on top of the price of the mower, 2300, so 2370ish in total.

When the first cut happened this week, I repaired it myself (I was supplied with one set of joiners). The next day, a second cut in a totally different spot, so, not being too happy about that, and a bit concerned, I rang the dealer (5th sept) to let him know as i was concerned at this stage about an install problem. We left it that I would fix the second cut and see how it goes.

Woke up this morning, to find my robomow sitting at the bottom of the garden, so I toddled off to have a look, and a third cut, again in a completely different part of the garden. This time, I said, I am not fixing it, three times in 4 days, there is something wrong. The mower appears to be cutting the lawn fine, its as good as ever, no gouging nothing funny with the way its running etc.

So I rang the dealer just now, and here is the response I got.

"never seen that before, especially after a month and a half of running fine"  
    " What do you want me to do, what do you think will sort it"

I replied that there is an issue with the install, and he will have to come out and fix it. He then said that he would have to charge for that, wherin I then told him that I paid 450 for the install that he needs to stand over (just to note, the install prices I got from other automower suppliers ranged from 0 to 300 euro, but I went with him for a specific reason).

He then said that if he comes out, and its a simple fix, then he would have to charge me for it.

Define a simple fix I said, and he said that if it was simply a case of rejoining the wires he would charge me. Of course its going to be a case of simply rejoining the wires (for the thrid time in three different locations), but there is a bigger/different problem going on here.

Anyway, long story short, he said he would come out, not this week, not next week, but the week after, so I am being put on the long finger, probably he thinks that I may repair it myself and all will be ok in the mean time.

So, at this point, I'm at the stage of warning letters before starting going to the small claims court, I told him this, and that the solution is either take the mower back, or re-install the wiring, which I paid him 450 euro for. He said, do what you have to do pretty much.
    1 cut, okay, 2 cuts, alarm bells ringing, 3 cuts, something seriously wrong as far as I am concerned.

So here goes, will keep ye updated, but not a pleasant experience having forked out such an amount of money. I will be cc'ing robomow about these issues with this dealer also.

3rd cut (happened last night/this morning), not repaired, and will be left as is until this is resolved or dealer takes back mower and refunds.

Ye got rabbits by any chance?  A mate had one installed and worked fine till rabbitts started scratching for and chewing the wire.  Nothing else,  not burrowing and accidently finding it.  These bunnies were purposely seeking out the wire and chewing it.  He was constantly repairing it .... but when he put it away in Nov no more rabbits scratching.  They were at it right till he turned the power off so they didnt stop cause it was hibernation time.  Not sure if rabbits hibernate or not.  His fix was to run some 6mm steel wire right above it to stop the rabbits digging it up to chew it.  Only explanation is the bunnies are detecting the loop signal and its playing with their heads ...

Ye got rabbits by any chance?  A mate had one installed and worked fine till rabbitts started scratching for and chewing the wire.  Nothing else,  not burrowing and accidently finding it.  These bunnies were purposely seeking out the wire and chewing it.  He was constantly repairing it .... but when he put it away in Nov no more rabbits scratching.  They were at it right till he turned the power off so they didnt stop cause it was hibernation time.  Not sure if rabbits hibernate or not.  His fix was to run some 6mm steel wire right above it to stop the rabbits digging it up to chew it.  Only explanation is the bunnies are detecting the loop signal and its playing with their heads ...

Thanks,

I am rural, so there would be rabbits around, but not an abundancy of them, and no sign of them in the garden (and if there was, Id have eaten them
    ;-) ). Also, no sign of digging around the cut areas.

If its rabbits are the problem, then the wire musnt be deep enough I would have thought, and Rabbits would be a common occurrance in lawns, urban and rural.

I had the mower run over some of the guide wire that was left lying about the lawn after install.  I had them leave me a few meters for extensions etc.  Of course forgot about it.  Mower sort of tangled up in it and scratcthed it/nicket it but didn't cut through it.  Also one or two places where I moved wire myself and it is only pegged on top of the grass and has never cut. I run with blades at level 4.  Ye sure its the mower that is cutting it? Maybe try mower at max height for week to see if the wire still beiing cut.

I had the mower run over some of the guide wire that was left lying about the lawn after install.  I had them leave me a few meters for extensions etc.  Of course forgot about it.  Mower sort of tangled up in it and scratcthed it/nicket it but didn't cut through it.  Also one or two places where I moved wire myself and it is only pegged on top of the grass and has never cut. I run with blades at level 4.

I have my mower set to 50 or 55, cant remember which, but it was the level the dealer recommend I drop it down to over time after the first few cuts. Its been at that setting for prob a month now with no adjustment

Ye sure its the mower that is cutting it?

yep, its def the mower, as each time the mower stopped right next to it, so immediately after the wire was cut. I think this fact also disproves the rabbit scenario, as if rabbits ate through it, it would either not leave the base, or be stopped a good distance from the cut.

Maybe try mower at max height for week to see if the wire still beiing cut.

Yeah, except I think at this stage, I am best leaving it for the dealer to sort out, I was happy to work with him for the first two incidents, but now I think based on dealings with him, I will be moving into refund territory. Three cuts is turning it into spaghetti

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Hey peps,

Just wondering what folks do during winter months.

I have my husq automower since April and have been very happy with it.

DO you shut it down completely in late November or do you send it out 1-2 days a week in mid winter

• Advertisement

I had the mower run over some of the guide wire that was left lying about the lawn after install.  I had them leave me a few meters for extensions etc.  Of course forgot about it.  Mower sort of tangled up in it and scratcthed it/nicket it but didn't cut through it.  Also one or two places where I moved wire myself and it is only pegged on top of the grass and has never cut. I run with blades at level 4.

I have my mower set to 50 or 55, cant remember which, but it was the level the dealer recommend I drop it down to over time after the first few cuts. Its been at that setting for prob a month now with no adjustment

Ye sure its the mower that is cutting it?

yep, its def the mower, as each time the mower stopped right next to it, so immediately after the wire was cut. I think this fact also disproves the rabbit scenario, as if rabbits ate through it, it would either not leave the base, or be stopped a good distance from the cut.

Maybe try mower at max height for week to see if the wire still beiing cut.

Yeah, except I think at this stage, I am best leaving it for the dealer to sort out, I was happy to work with him for the first two incidents, but now I think based on dealings with him, I will be moving into refund territory. Three cuts is turning it into spaghetti
    Yea,  sounds like you have it sussed.  Did they not use a machine to bury the wire?

Yea,  sounds like you have it sussed.  Did they not use a machine to bury the wire?

Yeah, they used a machine, but in some parts they pegged it as they couldnt get the machine near it. I think 2 of the breaks were on sections laid by the machine, and 1 was pegged (a section running out to an island and doubled back in).

Hey peps,

Just wondering what folks do during winter months.

I have my husq automower since April and have been very happy with it.

DO you shut it down completely in late November or do you send it out 1-2 days a week in mid winter

Its recommended to bring it in and power it down. Don't wash it with a hose, just wipe it down.

So, once the grass stops growing I bring it in. Usually late Oct/early Nov and send it back out as soon as the weather dries up in the new Year.

Clearly a poor install. In your second pic there is a piece of timber under the wire!! :eek:
    Thats ridiculous. Pure laziness and that wire will never settle into the ground with that under it.

It also looks like the wire was not pulled tight and is popping up (as can be seen in your first pic). The mower will then of course cut it. The installer is a joke by the look of it. How many metres of wire do you have and how long did it take them to lay it? Rush job?

I would add though, initially you should have the mower cutting higher than normal until the grass grows around the wire and it sinks down to earth level. Then, once the wire is completely out of sight, you drop the height. In my case I can't see the wire anymore even though it was all laid on top of the grass initially like your pics. I buried none of my wire and I've never had a cut.

If I were you I'd be looking for a new unbroken wire to be laid as the mower or wire itself isn't the issue. Every cut is just another weak link in your wire that could take on moisture.

One other thing.... do you have any kids, dogs etc that might be tripping/pulling the wire? Maybe it got dragged somehow and then once the mower hit it it got cut. That might explain why it worked for a month and broke 3 times this week?

Only looking at the pics now ... Thats not an install. They just dropped the wire off and looks like some of it rolled out on your lawn. When guys left after iinstalling mine there was no sight or trace of a wire. I had to measure its location so I would know where it was if I ever needed to do any work on lawn. Thats a shocking effort at an install ...

Well, update to date.

Yesterday morning, the mower was stalled at the bottom of the garden saying "waiting for signal", so no line cut, but couldnt detect the signal. I left it till the evening and restarted it and it detected eerything and went back to work.

I have noticed that it has now started cutting much further away from the boundry wire surrounding an island, there is a lawnmower width of grass growing out further, and the mower appears to halt before it gets near the wire, and turns around. I think this might be due to one of the repaired breaks in the cable, some signal leak, or compensation emmitting more power, and the mower detects the wire much earlier.

Anyway, all totally unnacceptable, and still no feedback from the supplier, and I have also emailed the distributor.

Registered letter sent to the supplier last Friday, with lots of detail, so will wait and see, but this is turning into a bit of a nightmare.

Well, update to date.

Yesterday morning, the mower was stalled at the bottom of the garden saying "waiting for signal", so no line cut, but couldnt detect the signal. I left it till the evening and restarted it and it detected eerything and went back to work.

I have noticed that it has now started cutting much further away from the boundry wire surrounding an island, there is a lawnmower width of grass growing out further, and the mower appears to halt before it gets near the wire, and turns around. I think this might be due to one of the repaired breaks in the cable, some signal leak, or compensation emmitting more power, and the mower detects the wire much earlier.

Anyway, all totally unnacceptable, and still no feedback from the supplier, and I have also emailed the distributor.

Registered letter sent to the supplier last Friday, with lots of detail, so will wait and see, but this is turning into a bit of a nightmare.

The distributor needs to step up to the plate. Their reputation is on the line so I would be more concerned if they don't respond than the supplier (who sounds like a cowboy).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,350 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Yes, would be disappointed for you in your interaction with the supplier/agent.
    Really damaging the name of basically, a good product.

Water John wrote: »
    Yes, would be disappointed for you in your interaction with the supplier/agent.
    Really damaging the name of basically, a good product.

I agree, and I have to say at this stage, that again, the mower is doing a great job, much better than i ever did myself, and the lawn looks great, the product is great, but not happy with the install, which now has 4 cuts in the wire.

If the mower goes back to the dealer, my next course of action would be to get another one, and get it re-installed properly, I'm not concerned about the product itself, I havnt had any indication that the mower is at fault, and again, my lawn has never looked better.

Installer is due out on Tuesday, but ive told him, it needs the wiring replaced fully (but I am okay if that just includes the main lawn, as I have had no cuts in the smaller lawn).

Hopefully, he will see reason and show some level of remorse/responsibility and just replace the wiring. Otherwise its the small claims court.

How did the wire replacement go?   This doesn't enhance Husqavarna's rep a whole lot when you look at the lengths they went to in past few years with free mowers to 1000 people.  I know two of these people who got the free mowers ( well free for a year but doubt Husqavarna will come looking them back ) and I would think they would frown opon this type of bad press. In my case I tried getting local husky dealer to come round ,  measure the lawn and get the mower installed but I got tired of ringing him with no one cominig out.  So I rang main dealer in the North.  Told them I couldn't get the local ones to come out so would they do the install. 30 min later I have a call from local dealer saying he is on the way.

• Advertisement

How did the wire replacement go?   This doesn't enhance Husqavarna's rep a whole lot when you look at the lengths they went to in past few years with free mowers to 1000 people.  I know two of these people who got the free mowers ( well free for a year but doubt Husqavarna will come looking them back ) and I would think they would frown opon this type of bad press. In my case I tried getting local husky dealer to come round ,  measure the lawn and get the mower installed but I got tired of ringing him with no one cominig out.  So I rang main dealer in the North.  Told them I couldn't get the local ones to come out so would they do the install. 30 min later I have a call from local dealer saying he is on the way.

AFAIK its not a Husqvarna install.... Robomow I believe.

KCross wrote: »
    AFAIK its not a Husqvarna install.... Robomow I believe.

Yep, it's a robomow. I went the robomow route because it seemed to be the best solutions j for routing between two gardens around the back of the house.

Again, to reiterate, no issues with the mower itself, I firmly beleive it was the install quality that was the issue.

Installer came back last Tuesday, unfortunately I only.got back as they were finishing I got delayed in work. I had told him I would accept nothing less than a full replacement and made that quite clear, but he repaired instead of replaced. I am in two minds about whether to pursue further or not and go for a full replacement. I still think the repair will have degraded the cable, and tbh, I don't see the repairs and am not sure if they have been done using watertight seals or not. I might scratch the surface and check/ take photos as I would like to see for confidence that correct joiners were used at least.

Going to leave it a week or two before I do anything further, but at the moment, all seems to be working fine.

I think the robomow is a fantastic product, no qubbles on that, I certainly won't be recommending the installer to anyone though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Yep, it's a robomow. I went the robomow route because it seemed to be the best solutions j for routing between two gardens around the back of the house.

Again, to reiterate, no issues with the mower itself, I firmly beleive it was the install quality that was the issue.

Installer came back last Tuesday, unfortunately I only.got back as they were finishing I got delayed in work. I had told him I would accept nothing less than a full replacement and made that quite clear, but he repaired instead of replaced. I am in two minds about whether to pursue further or not and go for a full replacement. I still think the repair will have degraded the cable, and tbh, I don't see the repairs and am not sure if they have been done using watertight seals or not. I might scratch the surface and check/ take photos as I would like to see for confidence that correct joiners were used at least.

Going to leave it a week or two before I do anything further, but at the moment, all seems to be working fine.

I think the robomow is a fantastic product, no qubbles on that, I certainly won't be recommending the installer to anyone though

I did the install myself and never had a cut wire - I'd say it was just laziness.

Are you allowed say who the installer is ? (Not sure if that's allowed on boards).

I know a guy here in work got his robomow installed by the main dealer and they used some machine to put the cable an inch into the ground IIRC

deadl0ck wrote: »
    I did the install myself and never had a cut wire - I'd say it was just laziness.

Are you allowed say who the installer is ? (Not sure if that's allowed on boards).

I know a guy here in work got his robomow installed by the main dealer and they used some machine to put the cable an inch into the ground IIRC

My installer used a machine on most of the install as well. of the three sections of cut, one was a double run out to an island, so no machine used, just pegged, and the other two afaik were done by the machine.

Installer "couldnt" say how/why the lines were cut!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,350 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Wouldn't know the detail of the Autocable machine, but the line should have been underground where it worked. Unless it met a stone or tree root. It would then have popped up, I presume, like any moleing machine or plough, leaving that bit overground unless hand remidied.
    At a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭kittytwister

I had a husqvarna 450x installed three weeks ago by Coughlans from Carlow. My lawns are in three different sections, one over a tarmac driveway and the other over a gravel path 1m. wide. I previously had a Bolens walk behind mulcher for 20 years, excellent machine. To say I am delighted with the bee purchase is an understatement. Love the app. Only gripe with the app is that I am unable to see distance mower has travelled. Would be welcome addition. Also am wondering is all this cutting necessary? I mean sometimes I see it working and wonder is it cutting any grass at all! Yes it is I know but seems a waste. The wire was installed by dealer, about 2 inches deep so you never see the wire. One query I have is I wonder when I will have to change the blades. Had it working 24 hrs. For first 5 days the switched it to 10 hrs. Today changed height to 5 cm from 6 cm. The lawn does look far far better with no lines etc. Have to say this purchase so far for me was a very positive one.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

I had a husqvarna 450x installed three weeks ago by Coughlans from Carlow. My lawns are in three different sections, one over a tarmac driveway and the other over a gravel path 1m. wide. I previously had a Bolens walk behind mulcher for 20 years, excellent machine. To say I am delighted with the bee purchase is an understatement. Love the app. Only gripe with the app is that I am unable to see distance mower has travelled. Would be welcome addition. Also am wondering is all this cutting necessary? I mean sometimes I see it working and wonder is it cutting any grass at all! Yes it is I know but seems a waste. The wire was installed by dealer, about 2 inches deep so you never see the wire. One query I have is I wonder when I will have to change the blades. Had it working 24 hrs. For first 5 days the switched it to 10 hrs. Today changed height to 5 cm from 6 cm. The lawn does look far far better with no lines etc. Have to say this purchase so far for me was a very positive one.

Your experience sounds similar to mine. 5cm is still pretty long and you'd have a lot of clippings if you reduce it further too quick.

I gave my grass a last cut with the ride on to collect the clippings and left it at the 3cm since. I've gradually reduced the cutting time and have it running at school times and it's keeping it cut. just play around with the app to reduce the time to what suits you.

You will see the tips of the grass start to look torn, and withered when the blades aren't sharp enough to just nip the grass off clean.  I just ran mine over a file for 5 min and put them back on but to be honest they very cheap to replace so don't intend doing that too often.  They need to be razor sharp to make life easier on your mower.  As for clippings,  green keeper for local golf course tells me the PH of your soil is critical as far as grass clippings go.  Needs to be within a given pH range for the microbes which break down the grass clippings to thrive. This in turn allows the nutrients to be reabsorbed by your grass  If these microbes not thriving then you get build up of grass clippings, thatch and then moss will move in.  Its a very fine balancing act keeping the micro ecosystem of your lawn in good shape but correct pH is one of the easier things to get right and one of the most important.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Faws

For the Husqvarna app, is a data Sim card provided with the purchase or is this separate. How much does it cost to keep it connected to your phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭kittytwister

Faws wrote: »
    For the Husqvarna app, is a data Sim card provided with the purchase or is this separate. How much does it cost to keep it connected to your phone

I understand first two years are included in the price and there are no other charges. After that you can renew with husqvarna for a fee but don’t know how much it is. Great app but would love to know how many hours machine has worked since purchase and distance travelled.

Advertisement