Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭shoehorn

I want to buy decent connectors for making joins in boundary wire. Can anyone recommend good brands and ones to avoid?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,898 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Whatever ones you buy , I'd buy small jar of dielectric grease. You should top up the connector's with more. They come with some in it but tbh it should be splodging out the sides to protect the connection from water ingress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭denismc

I know Atkins in Cork have a spring sale around this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I used the out-of-the-box cable that came with the mower (Husqvarna). Its decent cable thats hard to break and designed for the job. I laid it on top of the grass and it quickly disappeared into the ground on its own. Its in 8yrs now and not a single break and thats for a ~2800m² of lawn so alot of boundary wire there. I dont think you need to buy higher grade cable.

Burying it several inches under the ground is a bad idea in my opinion as it will make it very hard to make any adjustments in the future particularly if you have a new lawn that you are still developing. Inevitably you will need to adjust parts of it at some point.

The few occasions where I had to pull the cable up and reposition it, was actually difficult enough. You'd be surprised how far under ground it goes itself over time. I can only imagine it being even harder if its a few inches underground to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭corcadorcha

What was the issue with it? I have other Stihl products and did find them good. So many unknown brands out there..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Ginger83

The place I bought it sent out a guy to install it who was clearly never trained. Septic tank and large trees not looped off and wire too close to hedges.

Shop owner came to sort but still wasn't left right so I had the wire replaced myself. There was eleven joiners found on the old wire for absolutely no reason.

I have it two seasons and sent it for a service. It now won't charge saying battery temperature too low. It's with the shop over two weeks and they say they think it needs a €300 repair.

I have Stihl items which are great but they appear to be out of their depth with this. I'm currently pushing an old mower around the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭corcadorcha

That is not good. That shop letting the product down? Anybody else have any experience? Or to suggest a different make to buy for the 500-600sq/m garden.. so many options

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Bedouin79

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Tooleyn

Same boat. Ordered back in October for end of Jan. Emails just saying delays but with no dates. Do you mind me asking was the new supplier good value? Tempted to cancel order as growing season is well under way.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,898 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Note. Not a company endorsement I don't know them. But the mower is great. Simple low cost. Husqvarna parts across the board.

https://northxsouth.ie/products/mcculloch-s600-robot-lawn-mower-upto-600m2?variant=41202746097820&currency=EUR&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=CjwKCAjwsJ6TBhAIEiwAfl4TWLME27S1FJNSIUR1IjiAEOD3BxH3SEv8pbv5P2hisxKPdLhJ438k3RoCowsQAvD_BwE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Ginger83

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

I picked up a refurbished/used demo model from myrobotcenter in Feb, paid €389 delivered, yardforce sa900eco, https://www.myrobotcenter.eu/en/yardforce-sa900eco-2021 , i see its just 399 now new, albeit out of stock. If you need a basic square cut, keep it simple imo, less to go wrong.

It was practically brand new, the base had a bit of mud on it, new wire and pegs.

Very basic model, no app or anything, you choose if you want it out for 4/6/8 hours with the press of a button.

I had a very basic setup, also around the 600 sqm size, just had to define a septic tank with the boundary wire.

Its been doing a grand job so far, zero complaints. I have been messing around with the height cuts and am cutting it too low atm because it hasnt really been growing, will bring the height up this week.

The lawn its cutting was badly damaged a few years ago after building work and the soil isnt the best, very much clay up the top part but its grand, still cutting the smaller front lawn with the push mower, but will probably get a robot for that also. Just to show diffrent soil conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Tooleyn

Jan, April and now May. What are the chances they will actually ship them?? Getting a bit frustrated with delay at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Get your money back from myrobotcenter.eu they are all out of stock now on Landroids when they were promising stock in for 11/4/2022 with no delivery date expected now. This is a very poor company to deal with, they will take your money for a preorder and hold it for months with no stock or hope of stock to arrive. AVOID

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭bunderoon

As I have wrote on this thread already, ordered from myrobotcenter.eu in Nov for the L2000 and knew it would be a couple of months delay. But then it was March, then April, then they told me via email that they had no new date. So I asked for my refund last Wednesday and they said it would be in my account in a couple of days. I'm still waiting for it to hit my account and I have replied to them twice since and they are not replying now. Before the comms was good, but now - nothing..

Just checking the site now and NO stock of any robots as far as I can see.

I wonder if they as a company are going under.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,094 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Very strange...

I always found their situation weird, I bought my mower in April 2020, the height of pandemic uncertainty and I basically had no issues or delays. And then ever since they seemed to be having all sorts of delays.

I would file a dispute straight away with your credit card issuer if you are in any doubt as to them not giving you a refund.

You have a limited amount of time to dispute a charge with Visa/Mastercard

Thanks for that. I'm afraid that chargeback is 120days. I'm well over that now.

Visa/Mastercard will make exceptions, and I think your case is a good candidate for an exception. It also maybe a breach of EU to take the money (not just a hold) and not deliver any goods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭whippet

with regards to repositioning cable - I had to do it recently as I had removed a fence .. I had started trying to dig / pull up the cable but eventually decided it was quicker and easier just to lay a whole new run of cable on that section .. just needed to make two joins and peg it down. the cable is cheap and so are the connectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 migratoryCoconut

Hi,

I have a particularly irregular lawn, in that most of it is above the level of the house and driveway, with slopes all around the edges on 2 sides.

The area (just over 600 sqm) that I currently mow with a push mower or a borrowed ride-on from time to time, has slopes of 30% at the edge.

I am looking at getting a Worx Landroid L1000 WR147E.1 as this larger model has 4 wheels and should be more stable on the slopes.

Reading the installation manual for the L1000, the recommended maximum slope where the boundary wire runs perpendicular to the direction of the slope is 17%.

Has anybody pushed the limits of what slope at the boundary wire a Landroid will manage to successfully turn around?

I was also looking at getting the stainless steel spikes for the wheels. Any advice on whether these would help with turning around on 30% slopes?

Any other recommendations on a model that can handle turning on 30% slopes, within a reasonable budget of 1 to 1.5k, would also be appreciated?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭blackbox

A slope of 17% is only about 10 degrees. I think you'll struggle, especially if a bit wet.

A 4 wheel drive Husqvarna would do it, but pricey for a relatively small area. I don't know of anyone else doing 4wd.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi folks,

I've stuck my yardforce 400i on adverts.

It's perfect but finding it's overkill for our lawn..

Might seem pricey but the garage was 150 euro on its own. Open to offers

Cheers,

Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Thud

Robocleaners now saying Segway Navimows are out of stock and delivery push out to 20th of May.

I think they might have been optimistic on the pre-selling, they don't seem to be on sale anywhere else yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 migratoryCoconut

I couldn't justify the price for a 4wd. Could probably do a good bit of landscaping to have it more manageable with a cheaper mower and still have change left over.

I did come across this guy in Norway, who seems to have pushed the limits of the Landroid, in a torture test. Warning: it contains cruelty to an autonomous mower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlgFehXYxcQ

My slopes are usually quite dry (the rain just runs off rather than soaking in), so I think with the better traction provided by the stainless steel wheel spikes it may be able to handle it. Although if I heard the clicking noises his mower made, I'd probably have to rethink it. Just not sure if it's worth the risk to purchase it, to find out later that it will struggle.

The Segway Navimow seems to handle slopes that are steeper than mine well in these videos by mowing along the slope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckSQWlla1MI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADbGdm-UY9c

As others have pointed out, it's not available anywhere yet, and as it is only launching it is unproven in the field.

My research continues....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭whippet

I'm now in to my 6th season with the Husquvarna 420. - it's actually the second model after my original one died a death last year due to the dealer not resealing it after a service and water ingress.

What I am still amazed with it is the mowers ability to find new places to get stuck every year. It has been happily mowing away for the last few months with no where to get stuck and in the last week it is getting stuck at a random spot against a bush every day .. a place where it never had a problem before. It has dug a little hole for itself yesterday that will need to be filled to stop it again .. so I'll resolve this problem and I'm sure in a week or two it will find another place to get stuck !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭blackbox

Every time I get a software update I notice changes in behaviour.

I think they resolve issues with getting stuck in certain circumstances but my Joey is able to find new spots.

• Advertisement

To those who are thinking of using myrobotcenter.eu - you should look somewhere else until the global chip shortage has been sorted out. They are suffering huge delays.

If only I had seen this trust pilot thread before ordering.....

https://ie.trustpilot.com/review/www.myrobotcenter.de

Advertisement