Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Mr Q

Both mine were EU plugs, just replace the plug is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭K3v

I am looking to get the Worx Landroid L2000 & the cheapest place I can find it is on Amazon Belgium for €1200. Cheapest I could find from an Irish distributor was €1650.

Has anyone any expierence or suggestions for parcel forwarding companies in Belgium? Or would anyone have any other recommened sites to purchase the L2000?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭68508224

Is it possible to buy two charging bases and have the robot mower in separate areas on different days? I have 190m2 at the back and 350m2 to the front and was thinking of running it for 2-3 days at the back then lifting to the front and leaving it there for 3-4 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

I was thinking of buying an outdoor 2 pin socket rather than cut the plug of the transformer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bamayang

Was in dealer today and he had a Husq 315 for €2,000. Seems an ok price.

But is that very old tech now? I see there is a 315X model and then 415x also. Are you losing out much going back to 315?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭denismc

It is possible to create 2 zones with 1 charging station if you can run the loop wire into the 2nd area you want to mow.

I did this by running the wire alongside a garden fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭bunderoon

Anyone notice their Landroid 'bouncing' off the guidewire when it is approaching it at an angle less than or more than 90 degrees?

Mine does now. Means that it doesn't have to stop, reverse a few inches, rotate wheels to change direction and then proceed to move again. It does all this without the reversing part. I'd say it increases the overall cutting time per charge.

Must go and check the OS version.

Post edited by bunderoon on

Cheap garage for Automower? (Navimow?)

😎

It would mean either crossing a driveway which I'm not keen on or adding a grass strip about 50-60m long. Trying to figure out another way or if it might make sense to buy two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭Ryath

These looks like some interesting new options for wireless install. I'd favour the Worx. Just can't make up my mind about the Segway Navimow. Hardware seems good but the software seems like very like it's still in beta. I'm sure that will improve as more of them are out there.

Post edited by Ryath on

Do you pick it up and carry it across or does it go to the second area by itself?

Yes, I lift it across once or twice a week depending on growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I'd be skeptical of wireless installs. It might work for some and not others. Before investing in one I'd be looking to see it in action in an actual customers lawn and not just reading the marketing hype.

e.g. One worry, for the GPS ones, would be that it wouldn't get everywhere if it loses signal around trees which would be different for every lawn so I'd like to see a few working installs before I'd invest.

The vision based ones are likely to have issues with rain droplets on the camera. What does it do then... cross the road by mistake! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Dutch Roll

Haven't encountered this yet but my Landroid isn't fully installed yet. However, I am experiencing issues with ground clearance though, my lawn is so soft and mossy in places that the mower is struggling to travel over it at all. Will try to address the moss and thatch eventually but for now I might look into ways of increasing the ride height a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭bunderoon

High thick moss can cause issues to any robo. Can slow the cutting disc down and may put pressure on the motor. Something to think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Copper Sulphate is the cure for moss. Go to the local veterinary shop and ask for a tub of bluestone.

Oh yea cheers, the cutting disc is actually fine, it's the front wheels that are bogging down and triggering the collision sensor. So it just nudges back and forth, side to side trying to back away from what it thinks was an obstacle.

Need to tackle the moss, which is on the to do list, but raising the ride height will help in the short term.

Thanks,that's what I was really wondering about. Do you know the rough size of your second area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Redlim

I have the Navimow since last summer. I find it great. Had a few issues at the start that were sorted with firmware updates. They regularly release updates and strangely enough the most recent one last week has actually introduced a couple of bugs which have impacted performance a bit. Their support team are very helpful though and they've confirmed they're aware of the bugs and will push another update to my machine to fix them.

There's definitely a slight beta feel to it and it's not going to suit everyone, e.g. if you have lots of coverage within the lawns with big trees. If your site is reasonably open with decent view of the sky then it should work fine

There's a couple of Facebook groups worth joining to get an idea of user's experience and issues. There's the official one and a good German one also. The German one is better for seeing what issues people have as it has much looser moderation of the topics discussed.

Got a link to the German one!?

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Redlim

Should find it by searching Segway Navimow Deutschland on Facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 20 malonef

Anyone have a Robomow in Cork? I'm trying to resolve a "No Wire Signal" issue with my 2016 RS635. Replaced the base station charging head and front board 😬 and still no joy. (Signal wire is fine, tested the loop resistance). Would like to test the mower in someone's garden before replacing the base station to confirm that that's the problem. If someone has a similar era RS model it should do the trick. This is a long shot I know, but worth a try ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Rs615 in east cork here, but I think the mower has to be synced to the head end ?

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭sligopaul

Folks , local Stihl agent moved from IMOW to Ambrogio machines and see a few others have done so nationally ( maybe the Irish agent for IMOW has also changed ) , anyone have experience of or have one , thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Bedouin79

Ambrogio?? Yeah have one few early teething problems. 3rd year on the lawn now

So after a few tweaks to the boundary wire today my Landroid is up and running. Seems to be ok travelling over the moss/thatch now that its dry, but I'm still going to try to raise the ride height to help with ground clearance. He seems to travel quite a bit quicker and covers more ground than I expected.

Tramploine is the next thing to deal with, the mower got beached on the frame once already, blades spinning away like mad till I came to rescue it. Going to use rope tied all around the legs as a temporary measure to make the area under the trampoline effectively off limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,896 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Superb it's happened again. Few years later same issue a small slug has destroyed himself across my circuit board in the charging station. The wee bollix following on the family history.

123 Euro for replacement. It's goosed I've tested it.

• Advertisement

Wireless navimow

Now setup in all 5 areas. First full mow complete. 3 areas mowed several times before I added final two.

Few teething issues with boundary. I had to redo elements of boundary. We had one excursion a few metres out into a field, not sure how or why it got as far over the line as it.

One or two other minor excursions elsewhere which left it stuck. And when slightly off curb twice and got stuck. It could be fairly argued I was too ambitious with keeping it close to the edge, and certainly tried to keep it a bit closer than their guidance.

My lawn doesn't have many obstacles but there is 5 areas (2 fairly small).

Robot crosses a driveway with no issue. I built a small ramp using bucket of tarmac type material from screwfix to overcome your standard concrete curb.

Learning points which would have saved a lot of time include do not do any boundary mapping until you are very sure about location of aerial and charger station. Even moving them a few feet seemed to cause big issues to my map.

It is possible when you map that you will find an issue of reception and need to move the station, but I did not have this, despite some high trees and a two story house between station and some lawn.

i have a large multi piece lawn. When dealing with some teething issues it lost its memory of what it mowed. This seems to be a bug. This meant it started mowing from scratch a few times post an error/stuck event, unnecessarily. No problem on a small lawn but on a large lawn this could mean not getting to the last area of lawn for several days, meanwhile the grass is growing.

To be fair to navimow it looks like they are updating the app and mower firmware frequently. I have seen a few updates over the last 2 weeks, which incorporate fixes to customer raised observations.

Large area is not smooth for us, I expecting to have to help it and fill a few bumps, it hasn't got stuck in terrain once, very impressed. I will lower blades gradually, this might see it find some terrain issues but I now have high expectations having seen it navigate so far.

No garage or hut required for navimow, however, it's Ireland, and I think it's worth getting some shelter sorted to maximise chance of plug, connection, and robot life.

Length of plug cable is 10m, so I regard that as flexible and good. Length of aerial cable is short, basically aerial needs to be within a metre or so, not end of world but an extra metre or two would allow user to put aerial on top of nearby wall or shed, but right now it has to be mounted on the pole provided, right beside the charger.

navimow isn't cheap. The wireless point was a major driver in my purchase decision. The wireless Husqvarna needs an additional receiver bought separately, so, from memory, comes in at well over 1200 euro more than equivalent navimow. I'd trust Husq to stand the test of time, navimow will have to prove itself, but so far I'm happy.

😎

Advertisement