Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭micks_address

was getting a no signal on my yardforce again last few days.. i used the cable tester and all seemed fine with the boundary cable.. i tried a short loop of cable and it worked fine.. so lifted the old cable today that had a few joints.. and lay a new run.. had lots left over from initial installation.. pain the backside but working again now.. i guess the moral of the story is that joints are not ideal in the cable runs..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,898 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Batteryupgrade.ie old one was 2200 new one was 2500. So larger capacity. Just about should give it fraction more run time. Was 55 last March.

My mower is black. My South facing garden batters it with sun especially when it's charging.

By no means am I leaving a black charging power sitting in belting sun during the summer.

In the wetter months it keeps the unit dry whilst charging same idea.

I made my mower house for free out of parts I had around the garage. It cost me roughly 30 minutes of my time.

Even if it wasn't free I'd recommend getting one it will extend the life of the unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

No bother with you wanting to cover it but it’s not needed, that’s all I’m saying.

keeping it dry or keeping the sun off it is just nonsense. Have you ever taken the cover off it? It’s a sealed unit, rain will have zero affect on it.

Covering it while it’s charging is also irrelevant as it will spend many many hours roaming the lawn so it will, by design, be getting wet and sun soaked while it’s doing the job it’s designed for.

Cover it, for free or otherwise, but it’s just not required and it won’t increase or decrease its lifespan by covering it or not.

Have I taken the cover off it?... if you've followed this thread for the last 5 years you'd know that.

1. You shouldn't leave black charging electrical equipment baking in the sun. My charger has to be positioned where it is it needs the power supply.

2. The units have no active cooling, back to point 1.

So yes in my circumstances it needs a house. If you understood battery technology like say.. an electronic engineer does you'd know about impacting life cycle via temperature.

• Advertisement

what you are saying then is that the mower is not properly designed for its purpose.

nowhere in my manual does it say keep it out of the sun or build a house for it.

You do need to protect the power supply but not the mower

you are overthinking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Moreilly

Aghhhh ! 'NO LOOP SIGNAL !'

I've a automower 430x and am getting 'no loop signal' from the mower, constant green light on the docking station, i go to generate a new loop on the mower and it says something like 'new loop not generated'

Brought it to a local dealer (docking station and automower) and they said the tried it out and it worked, brought it home and no loop signal streight way.

Anybody here come across this issue ? - my grass is starting to get out of hand, and the weather looks rough !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭denismc

I had to replace a sensor recently as the mower was stopping in the middle of the lawn even though I had a green light.

There is a sub menu in your mower that allows you to see the sensor readings and the loop signal quality . If you press the menu button and then press and hold 7&9 it takes you into the sub menu.

You might find some useful info in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭893bet

Exposed for 10 hours while cutting, and housed 14 while charging is less than 24 hours exposed while cutting/charging?

As a farmer from what I have seen machinery stored outside full time and machinery stored inside,have two different life spans.

You're right. Il do what you tell me. Thanks for clearing it all up. Dog bless.

• Advertisement

Don’t take it personally. I’m not dictating what you or anyone does. I’m just saying it’s not required by design, but house it if you wish.

My 10yr old one is out cutting in the rain today and will hopefully have the sun blazing on it for its 10th summer later this year. That speaks for itself.

I have that background myself but it’s not comparable.

It’s sealed from the rain and has a plastic housing built over it already so rain has zero affect on it. Putting another housing over that again doesn’t make much, if any, difference.

Worst case scenario the plastic fades in colour from the sun and if that’s a problem you can replace that in about 1 minute as it simply pops off. Not even a screwdriver required.

Gaskets and seals that protect it like that wear in the weather, I would be inclined protect it personally if the cost is not excessive. The sun can be a bastard the little amount we get.

I had to return my Flymo 1200r (third time in 12 months) with a wheel motor failure.

Prob going to upgrade to a 310 or 315 husq.

I'm not taking it personally, just pointing out your misinformation that shielding a unit from outside conditions doesn't prolong its life. Its astonishing someone doesn't know or understand this. But sure look (shrugs).. lol

How much longer do you expect it to last as a result? You’re clutching. By your definition we should all have our cars in a garage by night. The reality is the car will be spun out long before rain or sun will kill them unless it’s a vintage car you’re trying to save.

Mainly here I want to avoid people thinking that they need to go to this effort if they buy an auto mower because someone on boards says it’s needed. It isn’t needed, but if you want to, then fine.

Actually yes we should it will make the paint and plastics and rubbers stay close to new. Anyway im done. There's on convincing someone that knows it all. Enjoy your weekend.

Touché!

I’ll let you know when mine packs up due to the rain! 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

A cover is not "required". I don't think anyone would disagree. However it can't do anything other than increase the life span. Will it increase it by 1%, 10%, or 50%, that will depend on some luck, and individual circumstances.

Kcross mower lasting 10 years without any shelter is great to hear, that's my main outstanding question for navimow, which will determine whether it's value for money or not.

😎

They are very poor value for money if they don’t last as they ain’t cheap.

If I don’t get 20yrs out of mine I won’t be happy. I’m half way there.

The one weak spot for me so far has been the power supply which I’ve replaced a few times and funnily that’s mounted inside the house! Go figure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Mr Q

Does anyone have an old type Husqvarna low voltage cable that they are not using? It would also have been on some Flymo and Gardena units, possibly others.

The round type like in the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

They look very like the ones from a landroid worx, you can buy them relatively xheaply

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Mr Q

Thanks. Do you have one of the landroid worx versions? Is the connection threaded?

On the Husqvarna it is pushed on then twisted a little to lock, not threaded.

No, the worx one is threaded for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Dave_D_Rave

Seems like a good price from Germany.

Warranty claims would be my main concern

• Registered Users Posts: 27 hieoin

Hi for perimeter cable am I better to get armour cable or non armoured?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭HotWaterCylinder

Armored, 10sq and put it in a red pipe to be sure

Are we actually talking about the low voltage/Rf permiter cable here ?

Armoured, Sorry, I must be missing something here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭denismc

10 sq boundary cable is going to be pricey 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭EletricMan

Anyone recommend an online shoppl to buy blades for Husqvarna?

Advertisement