Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭jmreire

Another thing to watch out for is your mower getting his by lightening....happened the SIL's Husqvarna during a storm. Fried the electric's, which meant a new board being fitted, ( €500 ) which in turn meant new programing, and re-location of the boundary cable. A right pain in the ass!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭celt262

Looking for opinions on Kress Automowers if anyone is familiar with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭893bet

Bought 315 yesterday. 800 sim garden but complicated shape so I oversized the mower. Plug and play with existing wiring including power cable which was nice!

Going good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

Would any Husqvarna owners be willing to lend me their fork tool? I read online that its supplied with Husqvarna mowers, its fitted inside the big wheel someplace

I've a Gardena mower which I need to disassemble in order to clean the charging contacts which are furred over and the mower is not charging now....I've tried reaching in with a toothbrush wrapped in sand paper but no luck so I really need to take it apart.

I'd only need it for a day and then post it back to you-- cheers 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bamayang

A few weeks into a Husq 315 auto mower. Find it a great job, I have to cross a stone pathway, which it does fairly easily. My few pieces of advice:

if your installing it, try to get a cable laying machine to do it. Buries the cable 3 inches into ground.

if you have faults on the line, chances are it will be a wire connector not fully clamped/closed. I have had this happen on 2 occasions.

if you are laying the wire by a curb, the recommended distance is to the outside edge of the curb, not the grass side. I went too far away from it, and have an inch of grass not mowed now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

Have a Husqvarna Automower 420 for a few years now (since Summer 2018 I think) and it's done 10,000km over its life. No issues with it until last Summer 2022 when I noticed that now getting the cutting height to 3 or less leads to excess grass cuttings being thrown out and that leads to it all clumping up and looking horrible. I've always changed the blades very regularly on it and it's had a few new skid plates over the years. Basically I'm left with using a cutting height of 4 now without having excess grass left on the lawn.

Anyways, that issue is annoying but it doesn't overly affect me. Today though the left wheel wasn't turning which led to the lawnmower always turning left. Opened it all up, cleaned it all out. The gears detached from the electric motor turned by hand just fine. The electric motor turns fine by hand too but once connected they just don't turn very easily at all (I can turn them if I grab the wheel and force it to turn). Replacement motors and gears is about 200 euro which I could get but I'm wondering if that wheel motor has seized up it probably isn't too long before the other wheel seizes up. So all that coupled with the cutting height issue has me wondering what should I do.....cough up 200 quid for the new wheel motor and gear or get a new robot. Ideally if I get a new robot I'd want one that gets reasonably short, does not require boundary wire and can work fine on about 1300sq metre garden.

I heard decent things about the Navimow Segway @Redlim wondering how that has been going for you/any Irish retailers to get it from?

Thanks in advance!

Post edited by MuddyDog on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Thud

I got a Kress missing as a second mower, essentially the same as a Worx landroid but with bigger capacity and some of the accessories built in. Uses same firmware as Worx too

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

cough up 200 quid for the new wheel motor and gear or get a new robot

Everything requires repairs at some point. 200 quid sounds reasonable relative to spending thousands on a new one. You have to be sure that that fix fixes it though. If you are confident it will, then 200 quid is relatively small money to resolve the problem. I'd do that, particularly since its only 5yrs old which isn't old at all. There is much more life in the mower yet. Repair it.

I noticed that now getting the cutting height to 3 or less leads to excess grass cuttings being thrown out and that leads to it all clumping up and looking horrible.

Is this simply not just a case of the grass growing too fast? Maybe change your schedule and send it out for a few more hours per day so it has more time to stay on top of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Redlim

I have the Navimow since last summer. It's been 99% great for me. Being able to create and adjust a virtual boundary is great when you have multiple sections of lawn as you can cross driveways etc. without having to worry about wires. You can also create off limits islands around flowerbeds, play areas, re-seeded sections etc. It's very solidly built but impossible to judge longevity in comparison to other brands after just one year.

I've mentioned here before that they are very quick to release firmware updates and have a responsive support service. These regular firmware updates have also had a downside though as some of the recent updates introduced a couple of bugs, which seem to be sorted again thankfully. I think those bugs were related to the new Vision Fence accessory so I'd expect these to be fully ironed out over the coming weeks.

You can try the checklist on their website to see if it's suitable for your layout. The below link has the list of sellers, just note that Camsaw are a distributor not an actual seller: https://navimow.segway.com/ir/WhereToBuy

Going back to your own Husqvarna and to understand the logic for buying a different one - it's a lot of money buying a new robot when you have one already that could be repairable for a lot less. I see some posters here have Husqvarnas going twice as long as yours so hopefully it's not for scrapping yet. Do you need to go wireless if you already have a wired mower working? If you really need a new one would a cheaper wired one do since the wires are already in place?

Totally agree with @KCross about the mowing height issue, it might just need more regular mowing if it's clumping as it's likely cutting off more grass. It shouldn't be necessary but if you have access to a normal push or ride on mower then you could try cutting the lawn way down and then let the robot maintain it with a more regular schedule than what you currently have.

Thanks for the reply.

It is already out for about 10 hours each day. Possibly you're right though and maybe it just needs to be always going except at night time but I find it strange I didn't notice it happening for years 1 to 3 and last year and now again this year it's noticeable.

• Advertisement

10hrs is a long time. That should be more than enough, particularly right now as grass isn't growing that fast yet.

Your mower is rated for 2200m² and I think you said you have 1300m², so it shouldn't need 10hrs to stay on top of that.

Have you paid any attention to how long the mower spends cutting for each session? Maybe the battery is degraded and is not actually cutting for as long as you think? Next time its charged and it goes out, check the length of time before it returns. If that's roughly what it was always doing, then the battery isn't the issue.

Another possibility, you said the wheel motor is stiff. Maybe that was also having an effect on it somehow... slowing it down over time. Just thinking out loud here.

I'd still go with fixing the wheel and then reassess. If you still want to switch to something else after that you have a working mower you can sell. With a dud wheel its going to be a hard sell.

Thanks.

Replacement wheel ordered and should be here tomorrow or Friday so will know more then!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

I have a 2017 model.robomow rs615 pro which I have recently retired, if anyone is interested in parts etc let me know.

Has one faulty mow motor and a faulty bumper sensor

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭K3v

Hi all. I have tried searching this thread, but it's not easy on my phone. I am sure it has been already mentioned.

I have a boundary of 380m, but the Landroid L2000 I purchased only comes with 200m. Would anyone be able to recommend the best place to pick up additional boundary wire?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭memaul

Hi All. Really appreciate all the info in this thread so far. I'm close to taking the plunge and investing in my first mower. I'm thinking of going the amazon.de route and using a forward shipper. It's a total cost of €850 for the landroid S700 doing it this way, versus €1,100 in Ireland from Heavins.

I'm just wondering if it's worth paying the extra €250 purchasing in Ireland for peace of mind, in case there is any issues? Does anyone know if the warranty will still be valid if I purchase from Germany. Hoping to hear from some of those who have purchased their mowers this way.

Wheel motor/gears arrived and fitted it and it's back working again. Endurance blades are arriving tomorrow so hoping that + the new wheel motor solves the excess grass issue.

So you replaced both wheel motors or just one?

Was it €200 all in for one motor or two?

Fingers crossed all will be well 🤞

Just replaced one of them and it works. 196 euro all in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭denismc

Thats the good thing about the Husqvarna, every thing can easily be replaced and parts are readily available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭denismc

Depends where you are but Atkins in Cork would have some

You can also pick up some on Amazon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭ Drew Gorgeous Test

• Registered Users Posts: 33,898 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Don't know where you are my grass is absolute belting up. It's well into quick growth for past 4 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭boxty

Hi, has anyone any experience of or thoughts on this einhell robo mower currently available on amazon for 592e. Seems like a great price for a 1200m2 machine and I like the idea of interchangeable battery but reviews are mixed.

Deal of the day: Einhell Power X-Change 18V Robotic Lawnmower With Charging Station For Lawns Up To 1200m² - Multi-Zone Lawn Cutting, Bluetooth App Control - FREELEXO 1200 LCD BT Robot Lawnmower Kit https://amzn.eu/d/2ZWNecg

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭ra0044

I bought this mower earlier this year for a similar price. So far so good. It does exactly what it says on the box. Once set up and the perimeter wire was adjusted a bit it really has just done exactly what it is supposed to. I have it set to head out for 2 hours a day 5 days a week and it is keeping the grass lovely and short. It has once failed to return to its charger which I think was down to a twig that had fallen off a tree and got stuck underneath it. Other than that it has been very good. We have a tree and some garden furniture in the mow area and it happily bumbs off them.and heads away. Very easy to adjust the cutting heights by a simple dial on the top.

Bluetooth connection can be a bit slow to connect on occasion but once connected the app works well. You can adjust the schedule. Working zones, start stop and returnower to charging base and see all the relevant info such as run times and set reminders to change cutting blades etc. Not a bad app

Have to say I am very happy with it. My first robot lawnmower so can't compare it to anything else though.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭boxty

Ok, good to hear. What size area is it covering? And can it handle small bumps or does grass need to be perfectly smooth (have a large adjoining green area that is fairly smooth I'd like it to cover as well as lawn)

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

Hi All,

Recently got a Husvarna 430X setup and running well.

Any recommendations for the schedule setup? How many hours a day and days a week should it run.

Garden size is about 2000 sq meters.

Thanks

Just a case of trial and error as every lawn will be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭ra0044

Mine is way over speced for my lawn it's only 400m2. I only have a single flat lawn aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭893bet

Buy it on Amazon. You will get the piece of mind fat better!

I bought a flymo on Amazon Germany at the start of last season. It was a nightmare. Had to return it twice in the first few months with no questions asked. It woke up fine this season and then after a few weeks a motor in the wheels failed. Amazon just refunded me and told me keep it.

buy cheap, buy twice ……but in in hindsight my garden was too big and too complex a shape for the flymo 1200r.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Need advice please. Have two lawns of about 200square metres and 250 square metres (and if it was at all possible, would like to use it in Seperated back lawn which is 200square metres.) Seperated by the driveway but very difficult for me to make it possible for lawnmower to pass from one lawn to the other.

What options do I have open for me? Was looking at Flymo 800 but don't know how that will work with the two separate areas. Feel over my head with options but don't want to be spending big money. Max 1500 really.

Thanks for any advice

Advertisement