Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

I saw somebody who treated the 2 areas as separate lawns and installed 2 charging stations and moved the mower manually every few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I am wondering, I recently invest in Xioami Robot hoover which is brilliant.

Any sign of robotic lawnmowers having the same technology? So you dont have to run a wire. The mower will be able to work out the lawn size and then mow it correctly instead of the zig zag all over the place it currently does?

I bought robot vac abotu 2 years ago, drove me nuts banging from one wall to another. Sold it soon after. From what I can see the current Robot mower does the same

Even better, if you could draw out garden on google maps and the mower would just connect to google maps and not go outside the area you have drawn out

• Registered Users Posts: 21,350 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Not sure you'd have the accuracy needed, without fairly high level GPS on board?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

The automower has GPS built in and it builds up an internal picture of the lawn boundaries.

It then uses that "picture" to determine what areas it needs to go to next.

But it still needs the wires initially to definitively tell it where the boundaries are.

Im not sure GPS would be accurate enough to cut right up to the edges. I'd also worry that any blip/delay in GPS signal would result in the mower ending up on the road or in a stream or down an embankment etc. I think the boundary wires are here to stay for a while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I am wondering, I recently invest in Xioami Robot hoover which is brilliant.

i will be able to get an auto mower later this summer, but the compromise will be we also need a robot vaccum for inside :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

KCross wrote: »
    The automower has GPS built in and it builds up an internal picture of the lawn boundaries.

It then uses that "picture" to determine what areas it needs to go to next.

But it still needs the wires initially to definitively tell it where the boundaries are.

Im not sure GPS would be accurate enough to cut right up to the edges. I'd also worry that any blip/delay in GPS signal would result in the mower ending up on the road or in a stream or down an embankment etc. I think the boundary wires are here to stay for a while yet.

Sorry the GPS mapping would be great

But, lets say you have enclosed lawn like myself. Would it not be possible to have it set up so the lawnmower itself can see obsticles and go around them. The hoover can...

I am just thinking out loud more than anything.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

But, lets say you have enclosed lawn like myself. Would it not be possible to have it set up so the lawnmower itself can see obsticles and go around them. The hoover can...

If your lawn is enclosed e.g. walls, the mower will just bump into the obstacles/walls and go off in another direction. No need for boundary wire if the lawn is completely enclosed.

You basically want a Tesla with full radar and sonar with a cutting deck attached to the bottom of it! :)

The GPS on the automower is used to record where it has already cut so it can make intelligent decisions on where it needs to go next.

It cant use GPS to "see" obstacles as obstacles move (swings, toys, trampoline etc). It just bumps against things and turns around. It would need radar to see things in advance and go around them. Cant see that tech being in a mower in the medium term without increasing price quite a bit.

Zzippy wrote: »
    If your lawn is enclosed e.g. walls, the mower will just bump into the obstacles/walls and go off in another direction. No need for boundary wire if the lawn is completely enclosed.

It wont work without boundary wire, AFAIK.

If it cannot sense the boundary wire it will consider itself out of boundary and stop for fear of falling off a cliff or into a river etc. Thats for the automower anyway, unless other mowers allow it?

It wont work without boundary wire, AFAIK.

If it cannot sense the boundary wire it will consider itself out of boundary and stop for fear of falling off a cliff or into a river etc. Thats for the automower anyway, unless other mowers allow it?

I stand corrected!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Moreilly

Have a ride on lawn mower for the last couple of years, it' on its last legs, might get this year out of it. Strongly considering a robot lawnmower.
    My total lawn size is no more than 2000sq meters (according to google earth !!), its all flat with no major obstacles apart from swing/slide ect in the kids fenced off area

Lawn consists of front lawn & fenced off kids lawn =1200 sqm
    Back and side = 800sqm
    Total 2000sqm !

I assume if i cut a section of fence on both sides of the kids fenced off area ( they are older now and freely roam around anyway!) the mower can make its way to from the front lawn, cut the kids lawn and make its way to the back and side.
    I work shift work and have two kids and hate mowing the lawn, never seen to have time, grass always getting too high and causing grief
    Trouble is they are quite expensive, was half thinking of getting something cheap just to do the kids lawn just to make sure the tech works (something like the flymo 1200R for 487 pounds and free delivery from amazon), or should i go for a better model , one of the husqvarna models for about 2K'ish.

Its just that i know nobody that has one and i don't want to spend 2k on a gimmick, love some advice from any owners on here!
    Any advice would me much appreciated, good points & bad points !!!!, can i completely ditch my ride on for a robot mower.....?

Moreilly wrote: »
    My total lawn size is no more than 2000sq meters (according to google earth !!), its all flat with no major obstacles apart from swing/slide ect in the kids fenced off area

Lawn consists of front lawn & fenced off kids lawn =1200 sqm
    Back and side = 800sqm
    Total 2000sqm !

I assume if i cut a section of fence on both sides of the kids fenced off area ( they are older now and freely roam around anyway!) the mower can make its way to from the front lawn, cut the kids lawn and make its way to the back and side.

Without seeing the exact layout and nature of fencing etc its hard to tell for sure but if all the lawns are connected (i.e. no steps to navigate everywhere) then there should be no issues.

If you posted a google earth screenshot of the lawn or a rough sketch of how its laid out that would help.

You will use the guide wires to guide the mower to the different areas (kids play area etc).

Trouble is they are quite expensive, was half thinking of getting something cheap just to do the kids lawn just to make sure the tech works (something like the flymo 1200R for 487 pounds and free delivery from amazon), or should i go for a better model , one of the husqvarna models for about 2K'ish.

Its just that i know nobody that has one and i don't want to spend 2k on a gimmick, love some advice from any owners on here!
    Any advice would me much appreciated, good points & bad points !!!!, can i completely ditch my ride on for a robot mower.....?

The Flymo looks like it wont even cut your kids area(1200sqm) as its rated for 400sqm?! So, I cant see the point of buying that as a trial.

Maybe ask your local dealer for reference sites and go take a look at the Husqvarna in action?
    What county are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭mayoman1973

One big advantage ( Among many ) that people very rarely mention is the lack of grass cuttings being dragged into your house and freshly mopped floors twice a week when you cut the lawn with a regular lawnmower. With my Freddie mower out pretty much every day doing his thing in the growing season then there is no grass clippings.  Also with kids about the place safety would be a big consideration.  No need to worry about petrol being stored in a garage,  a child starting a mower behind your back,  little toes getting cut or worse ( And you always hear of these things happening ) 3 mths after I got our mower installed and having to justify to people the expense I have the brother ring me from an A&E.  His young fellow got hit on the leg by peice of timber with a nail in it while he was earning pocket money cutting the lawn. They live in America so cost of that little mishap far exceeded my automower.  In short there has been no downside to getting this mower. Not even the cost as it is comparable to cost of a good ride on mower

This is the layout of the garden ,front lawn, to the left of the house is the fenced off kids area, kids area on its own is probably only about 250 square meters' , plan to put a gap in the fence of the kids garden either side so the mower could have access to all areas of the lawn, what do ye reckon? p.s. 2000sm already excludes the house and driveway ( the yellow line drawn around the map is just to show my site :)

[URL="[img]https://i.imgur.com/zYfBgbu.jpg[/img]"]zYfBgbu.jpg[/URL]

This is the layout of the garden ,front lawn, to the left of the house is the fenced off kids area, kids area on its own is probably only about 250 square meters' , plan to put a gap in the fence of the kids garden either side so the mower could have access to all areas of the lawn, what do ye reckon? p.s. 2000sm already excludes the house and driveway ( the yellow line drawn around the map is just to show my site :)

Looks workable for a robot alright.

I do think you'll need a robot with at least 1 guide wire though as you have 3 distinct cutting areas.

Some robots dont have guide wires, some only have 1.

The Husqvarna that you would need for a 2000sqm lawn will have two guide wires so it will do it. Not sure how many the bigger robomow's have nowadays but if you do buy a robot make sure you have guide wires.

The docking station would be at the back of the house and so it has easy access to all the right side without a guide wire.

You would then have a guide wire from the docking station through the fence , through the play area and on out to the front boundary.

You can then "tell" the mower how to get into the kids area (X metres from the docking station) and the front lawn(X+Y metres from docking station) via that guide wire(s).

I'd recommend you go for it as you have a lot of lawn there!
    Looks like you are looking after the kids area better than the rest with the different shades of green/brown! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

Has anyone had warranty issues after purchasing the husqvarna directly from Sweden?

Looks like you are looking after the kids area better than the rest with the different shades of green/brown! :)

Very true, it was the only area i ever mowed and collected the grass !!, the rest always got too long and i just fired it out the back of the ride on by bypassing the switch on the back!!
    would something like a Husqvarna Automower 420 do the job ?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 RocoH

Get a decent husqvarna model with two guidewires, like 430x or bigger, u wont regret the decision. At least you have driven the ride on mower to its near end and so one way or the other you soon need to upgrade so you can make peace with the need to spend money. Get the automower connect too to control all via smartphone. I had ruled these out as i though they wouldnt do as nice a job as walk behind but i went for it and its impressive.
    Ride-ons are a near dead duck i think.

Mad Benny wrote: »
    Has anyone had warranty issues after purchasing the husqvarna directly from Sweden?

I bought from the local dealer.
    I have had some warranty issues.... power supply blew twice. Dealer recommended using a surge protector, which I have duly done now. Hopefully that will protect it.

Also had a bearing go. Easy to fix yourself if it happens but they fixed it under warranty. I'm going into my 4th season now.

Other than that its been bliss.

Very true, it was the only area i ever mowed and collected the grass !!, the rest always got too long and i just fired it out the back of the ride on by bypassing the switch on the back!!
    would something like a Husqvarna Automower 420 do the job ?

You said yours is 2000sqm. The 420 is spec'd for 2200sqm. I'd be inclined to go a step up, like RocoH said, to the 430X. Thats is extra money though!

Maybe get the local dealer to recommend.

RocoH wrote: »
    Get a decent husqvarna model with two guidewires, like 430x or bigger, u wont regret the decision. At least you have driven the ride on mower to its near end and so one way or the other you soon need to upgrade so you can make peace with the need to spend money. Get the automower connect too to control all via smartphone. I had ruled these out as i though they wouldn't do as nice a job as walk behind but i went for it and its impressive.
    Ride-ons are a near dead duck i think.

Like the idea of having a app as well to keep an eye on it, maybe could integrate with IFTTT / and my google home would be a nice bonus, nice to hear from people that use them, it would really be a godsend for me as between shiftwork, bad weather, life with kids, mowing the lawn is something i am growing to hate especially coming home knackered from a shift in work, ill be starting up the ride on in the next week and ill see how that goes while i get the funds for the automower together. what sort of guarantee generally comes with them & where is best to buy?, i guess anywhere in europe is safe enough guarantee wise?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭mayoman1973

@Moreilly
    Boss... If ye do get a robot then Ye better prepare yerself for having a lawn thats far greener than one you showing there :)  Will Prob be very similar to the colour of the play area when you have the robot a few months

@Moreilly
    Boss... If ye do get a robot then Ye better prepare yerself for having a lawn thats far greener than one you showing there :)  Will Prob be very similar to the colour of the play area when you have the robot a few months

sometimes it gets green....... and a foot high as well !! ;);)

Seriously, you won't regret getting an automower. The lawn will look better than you could believe possible, you'll have several hours a week free that you had to spend cutting before, you won't have to worry about the weather and whether you can get a cut in before it rains, the neighbours will be seriously jealous of your immaculate lawn, etc. The downside - you will spend all the free time you would have spent cutting and collecting just watching the automower in wonder :D

Zzippy wrote: »
    Seriously, you won't regret getting an automower. The lawn will look better than you could believe possible, you'll have several hours a week free that you had to spend cutting before, you won't have to worry about the weather and whether you can get a cut in before it rains, the neighbours will be seriously jealous of your immaculate lawn, etc. The downside - you will spend all the free time you would have spent cutting and collecting just watching the automower in wonder :D

Feck yez all !! , ye have me sold on getting the automower, sometimes logging on to boards can end up being an expensive thing to do !! , just hope my ride on doesn't die before i have the funds together !! :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭cowboyjoe

Just seeing this thread reminded me of the house we spent a week in in Kerry last year which had a Bosch green robot lawnmower. I spent more time looking out the window at it and just staring. What an invention. I don't have a lawn that is big enough for one, but would definitely invest if I did!

and if it dies before i get the funds, ill just get one of these to get me by for a while......

BGUQwQO.png

@MoReilly.. Dealer said it was a set price with all husky dealers, likened it to Apples price strategy. He had no offer when i went in winter to shop so I purchased online from sweeden. I got everything, large guidewire, pegs, auto-connect, automower house & 30 blades for less than the cost of the mower alone here at dealer. Fitted wires myself. Prefer to shop local but such is life. You may want dealer to install, so u may prefer then to buy here, i was fine doing this myself. Didnt look at warranty but im sure by the time i need it it will be lapsed!

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

RocoH wrote: »
    @MoReilly.. Dealer said it was a set price with all husky dealers, likened it to Apples price strategy. He had no offer when i went in winter to shop so I purchased online from sweeden..........

Was that through the Husky.com website or different??

Has anyone got experience of the other mowers available.... Flymo, Bosch, Mcculloch???
    Seems to be mostly Husky & Robomow experiences here.

Different

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭jfh

starting landscaping a new build & hoping to layout the garden to suit one of these down the line, going to get a cheap mower for the first year or so.

i would appreciate any feedback regarding garden design, i get it has to be all connected so you don't have to move it yourself but is there anything else i should consider? ie flower beds, dogs?

Advertisement