Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Dozz

@gym_imposter why Kress over Worx, arent they both the same underneath?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Bit the bullet based on your reviews and the price savings here..My set up is complex so will only use this on the flat piece of lawn initially to see how things go….Hopefully works well.. went for the 750 one..Complete newbie so for example how do these things handle dog poo, dog toys left on lawn etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I made a video a few years ago about robot lawnmowers and covered these type of questions and goes over some suggestions about doing the install.

Dog toys: it will drive over them if they are small enough and could potentially damage them

Dog poo: will not cause any harm other than being dirty

• Registered Users Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Contacted Lidl support….got a new one delivered to my house!

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Didn't know that, no worx dealer in my neck of the woods anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Aravo

Have a husq 315, this morning I noticed that the mower went off the grass and over the kerb at driveway. This evening same thing happened off grass and over kerb at a location about 35 away metres.

The boundary wire was installed last year and buried by the wire laying machine. The machine has been working fine last 2 weeks. The area is flat, after all the wet weather and now done dry weather, have i cable breaks?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭amacca

Thanks a million for this and earlier reply....presumably it will work away if theres areas of the lawn with no/poor wifi? Parents place in an area rith no broadband and wifi signal poor outside house....if you let it update inside can it work away within the guidewires and occasionaly bring it in to connect for any update it needs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Thud

I've a Worx and a Kress, same machine and software but Kress is aimed at bigger areas and comes with more of the add ons built in.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Dozz

@Thud Which would you recommend for a 500sqm garden?

Worx should be fine there unless you want to go for the newer GPS Kress models

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Yes it can work in areas without wifi, including the entire garden, but it needs wifi to setup/change it's schedule (edit actually you might be able to do this from the screen, I've never tried) and update it.

We have a yard force mower out the front that doesn't have any wifi/app and it's fine, but we do find having the app handy on the mower on the back lawn if the kids have something like a paddling pool out we can just disable it from the app, but it's definitely not necessary

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭SocialSpud

Hey,

I am getting my lawn ready and am trying to decide how best to deal with this wall:

Since it's not perfectly straight, I will end up with grass along the edge of it as I assume my Landroid L2000 won't be able to reach it. I'm trying to decide if I should:

1. Put the wire as close the wall as possible and just use a trimmer along the edges.
    2. Put down some kind of edging out a bit from the wall so the wire can have a straight run, meaning I have less or no trimming to do.

Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Thats a lovely wall. I'd put some weed fabric down and if you have spare stones from the wall lay a course one stone high along the base of the wall with the weed fabric up to the top of that course and a couple of inches out from it. Then lay your boundary wire. You'll maybe have a bit of strimming to do but grab a cheap battery corded strimmer (not the one with the plastic blades, they suck) and his it every couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,895 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Personally I'd plant some low growing ground planting at the base. Like a Heather or similar ground cover planting for about 300mm full length and grass out from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭pajoguy

So I bit the bullet and the wallet and bought a Luba 2 AWD 5000.

Very easy set up(a few fs trying to add device apart) and mapping.

I have to move RTK so will have to map again but I mapped my place in 30mins.

I have it mowing now and will see what its like in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

anyone any experience with Bosch indego?

Takes a few weeks to see results. Grass will gradually become thicker and alot fresher looking ass mulching takes place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

Just bought the same, and will set up this weekend

who did you buy through in the end?

I see solar panel RTK has been pushed out to July now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Swapped out the power block and we're back in business.

• Advertisement

Make sure put the transformer under something. Mines under a ridge like with the cables sloping down from it. Keeps water ingress risk super low.

Yes they're a sealed unit and shouldn't die. But they do, cheap insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

It's indoors in a steel shed so all good there.

I spoke to Lyster Lawnmowers in Athlone as they appear to be the main distributors in Ireland.

They gave me a name of a dealer nearby so bought from them.

Solar for RTK hardly be needed as there is a 10m extension cable in the box.

I need to move mine out of sight from the road so might get the L shaped bar for attaching to a wall.

Today in my area was a great day to set it up. I rushed mine last night and there was an error in the channel to the base station. I kept getting two options but both seemed like I had to move the base but when I pressed the 1st option it realigned everything. Im impressed but its only been 24 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

What other dealers in Ireland are there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

I actually collected mine from Lyster Lawnmowers in Athlone. No dealers in my area, apart from one nr work who wanted 100 more.

I see coughlans in carlow and kilkenny do them.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭ULMarc

Is it possible to supply ELV to any of these base stations? Or do they have to be on a 240v supply?

I'm considering a landroid, for example. Supplying it on lower voltage would open up a few installation options for me in the short term

240v is required they aren't configured for anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Hey folks,

Some advice please..So per quoted post, I purchased the Greenworks 750m robot mower and am thinking about set up now..

I have a large back lawn that has some slopes on it, so was going to position the base station close to a power point on upper part of back lawn. I will ignore the sloped area for now and only take in a flat top part before moving out to include the front lawn.

So, the initial area to mow is that back area but prime area to be mowed is a rectangular front lawn that is fairly straightforward (few trees etc). However, to get from the back lawn area that will be mowed out to the front lawn, the mower will travel along a narrow lawn part at the side of the house that has a laurel hedge and kerb either side of it…Its about 4 feet wide (at narrowest) and 60 feet long before it opens out into the large front lawn. i.e. the bacl lawn closes into this narrow strip and the front lawn opens out from it…

I have read about guide wires and other such things to help the mower get back to station (to be located at back lawn area) etc but wondered how this area should be handled??

Thanks in advance for help

Advertisement