Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭jfh

Was that through the Husky.com website or different??

Has anyone got experience of the other mowers available.... Flymo, Bosch, Mcculloch???
    Seems to be mostly Husky & Robomow experiences here.

a friend has this
    https://www.autolawnmow.com/product/automatic-lawn-mower-genie-250/
    2 years now, no bother

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

jfh wrote: »
    i would appreciate any feedback regarding garden design, i get it has to be all connected so you don't have to move it yourself but is there anything else i should consider? ie flower beds, dogs?

A few basics....

- All connected (i.e. no steps)
    - No very steep slopes (it can do 45deg but try to keep it less than that.)
    - The less obstacles the better but it handles them fine. It just slows it down if there are shrubs and trees all over the place as it will be stopping and turning a lot more.
    - Pets dont matter really unless you have one of those pet control things that requires a wire around the lawn.... that might interfere with the mower wire.
    - You need a suitable location on the lawn edge to put the docking station so think about where you want to have that. Ideally at the back, out of prying eye view but it needs to have several metres of open lawn next to it so that it can easily navigate in and out of the docking station.
    - You then need a way to run the transformer wire from an indoor socket to that point. So, possibly put in a duct from that point back to the house where it can be plugged in to a normal socket. It has to be plugged in 24/7 and you cant really use an outdoor socket as the transformer isnt designed for outdoor use.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

KCross wrote: »
    A few basics....

- The less obstacles the better but it handles them fine. It just slows it down if there are shrubs and trees all over the place as it will be stopping and turning a lot more.
    - Pets dont matter really unless you have one of those pet control things that requires a wire around the lawn.... that might interfere with the mower wire.
    - You need a suitable location on the lawn edge to put the docking station so think about where you want to have that. Ideally at the back, out of prying eye view but it needs to have several metres of open lawn next to it so that it can easily navigate in and out of the docking station.
    - You then need a way to run the transformer wire from an indoor socket to that point. So, possibly put in a duct from that point back to the house where it can be plugged in to a normal socket. It has to be plugged in 24/7 and you cant really use an outdoor socket as the transformer isnt designed for outdoor use.

thats a pity, was planning to use existing outdoor sockets for future mower.
    How big/small, unweather tight is the transformer

Shaunoc wrote: »
    thats a pity, was planning to use existing outdoor sockets for future mower.
    How big/small, unweather tight is the transformer

I'm speaking specifically for the Husqvarna one. Maybe other mowers are different.

You can use an outdoor socket but the manual states it needs to be kept dry, ventilated and away from direct sunlight.

Snippets from manual:

Take the following into consideration when planning
    where to place the transformer:
    • Close to the charging station
    • Protection from rain
    • Protection from direct sunlight
    If the transformer is connected to an electrical socket
    outdoors, this must be approved for outdoor use.

The transformer must be placed where it is well ventilated
    and is not exposed to direct sunlight. The transformer
    must be placed under a roof.

The transformer must be mounted on a vertical surface,
    such as a wall or a fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,350 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Haven't invested yet but a question for lads with one. Does it leave a fringe if the lawn is kerb high and the drive lower by 100mm? Just not worth risking it, going right to the edge?

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    Haven't invested yet but a question for lads with one. Does it leave a fringe if the lawn is kerb high and the drive lower by 100mm? Just not worth risking it, going right to the edge?

Yes, it will leave a fringe that you have to strim.

I burned off the grass (about 2 inches) because I'm lazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Josieg

A few basics....

I didn't realise that you had to keep transformer dry. I had mine installed by the dealer and he left it outside. It has been out for nearly 12 months now and only taken in when I brought the mower in for winter. Bugger I'm worried now! Not sure how I can have it indoors either. Will have to create some sort of shelter for it!

Josieg wrote: »
    I didn't realise that you had to keep transformer dry. I had mine installed by the dealer and he left it outside. It has been out for nearly 12 months now and only taken in when I brought the mower in for winter. Bugger I'm worried now! Not sure how I can have it indoors either. Will have to create some sort of shelter for it!

Is it just lying on the ground?

As per the manual above it can be left outside but not just left on the ground where water can build up around/under it. Its not IP rated for that. It needs shelter and kept off the ground.

Thats bad form by your dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Moreilly

Mad Benny wrote: »
    Has anyone had warranty issues after purchasing the husqvarna directly from Sweden?
    wondering the same...... i assume european laws come into play and the guarantee would still be valid (2 years at least i think) but would i be able to get it repaired under warranty in ireland....... ??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Well I'm a fuppin eejit. Bought a new weeding tool for pulling up perennial weeds and went using it on the lawn, completely forgetting the wire was there, and have cut the wire. Anyone here any experience splicing the wire and know what's required? Would rather fix it myself if possible than have to get the dealer out...

• Advertisement

Simple job. All you need is the connectors and a pliers. Very easy to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Moreilly wrote: »
    Feck yez all !! , ye have me sold on getting the automower, sometimes logging on to boards can end up being an expensive thing to do !! , just hope my ride on doesn't die before i have the funds together !! :):)

Your still get a few Bob for your ride on, I got 500 quid for mine and I thought it was bear dead, needed a new deck at least which was gonna cost about 409 quid.

See if you can get a trade in for it, or throw it in done deal or something

What kind of connectors, would you know? Can I pick them up in a DIY place?

Zzippy wrote: »

What kind of connectors, would you know? Can I pick them up in a DIY place?

These guys
    https://www.husqvarna.com/ie/parts-accessories/installation/splicer/501980201/

DIY store won’t have them. Very cheap, get them in your nearest dealer.

These guys
    https://www.husqvarna.com/ie/parts-accessories/installation/splicer/501980201/

DIY store won’t have them. Very cheap, get them in your nearest dealer.

Thanks a mil!

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

RocoH wrote: »
    Different

Whats the story with buying directly from Sweden, simply selecting SE via the Husky website?

Anyone got a link or other details??

Thanks all!

These are worth a look. I think some people on here have used them. I haven't, but their prices appear to be better than local dealers.
    https://www.myrobotcenter.eu/en/lawn-and-pool-robots/lawn-mowing-robots?brand=husqvarna

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

These are worth a look. I think some people on here have used them. I haven't, but their prices appear to be better than local dealers.
    https://www.myrobotcenter.eu/en/lawn-and-pool-robots/lawn-mowing-robots?brand=husqvarna

The prices are way better and warranty is 5 years instead of 2. The question is what happens when something goes wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Moreilly

Mad Benny wrote: »
    The prices are way better and warranty is 5 years instead of 2. The question is what happens when something goes wrong.
    Exactly, will the warranty be honored in ireland by a husqvarna dealer?, has anybody put this to the test?
    Looking at the website regarding warranty it states:
    https://www.husqvarna.com/ie/services-solutions/warranty-policy/
    "Husqvarna Warranty Policy
    Husqvarna Forest & Garden company guarantees the function of all Husqvarna branded Products and will repair or replace any part that has factory defects which appear due to faulty installation or defective parts free of charge when performed by authorized Husqvarna workshops during the warranty period."

"The product is accepted for warranty repair to the original purchaser under normal use and maintenance during the warranty period when accompanied with a proof of purchase. In case you discover a fault in the product, stop using the product at once and contact an authorised Husqvarna dealer immediately. Deliver it in the condition in which the product was at the moment of occurrence of the fault."

don't see anything saying it has to be the same dealer purchased from....

+
    https://www.husqvarna.com/ie/lawn-garden/when-working/maintenance/robotic-lawn-mowers-faq/
    Maintenance and service
    Where can I get service and spare parts?
    You can get service at your nearest authorised service point. To find it, go to the Dealer locator facility.

thing is, is www.myrobotcenter.eu an authorised dealer..?

apparently they are... changed the webdite to austria and found
    myRobotcenter GmbH
    Hauptstraße 25
    6840 Gotzis
    Show directions

Telephone Office / Accounting 05523/55 655 Fax 05523/55 655-515 office@myRobotcenter.at www.myRobotcenter.at

Opening hours
    Mon - Fri: 09:00 - 18:00 Sat: 09:00 - 13:00

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

Purchased a Mccullough R600 from myRobotCentre. Got a great price €629 delivered.
    It is essentially a rebadged husqvarna 105 and they aren't even shy about hiding it, docking Station and the unit itself has mentions of husqvarna and the manuals are carbon copies of each other.
    Installing it properly tomorrow but a quick test today and everything worked perfect

• Advertisement

That's a great price. When you think of the Brands, they are really highly priced for a battery, motor and a small bit of tech.
    With my two lawns, I could buy two of them. Even at website price €669 x 2 = €1,338 total.
    Husky 315 with two docking stations , €2,5/600. Installed I know but that a wole lot of diff.
    How did you get it for €629? Website says €669. The Worx Landroid is €629.
    Great site option, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

That's a great price. When you think of the Brands, they are really highly priced for a battery, motor and a small bit of tech.
    With my two lawns, I could buy two of them. Even at website price €669 x 2 = €1,338 total.
    Husky 315 with two docking stations , €2,5/600. Installed I know but that a wole lot of diff.
    How did you get it for €629? Website says €669. The Worx Landroid is €629.
    Great site option, thanks.
    The price went up just after I ordered, they also take a vat number and will deduct the VAT at source which is handy if you are buying for a business

I see a Robowmow at €1,049 that would do my 2 lawns. Would need, a bit more boundary wire and a second docking station. Thanks.

josieg, exploring the Robot Centre website, I see cover hoods for the Husky.
    Pricey though.
    https://www.myrobotcenter.eu/en/husqvarna-cover-hood-305

josieg, exploring the Robot Centre website, I see cover hoods for the Husky.
    Pricey though.
    https://www.myrobotcenter.eu/en/husqvarna-cover-hood-305

I never saw the point of the hood.

The mower itself is fully weather tight and is designed for cutting in the rain. So, what does the hood give you?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭pryantcc

Hi everyone. I've an unusual question:
    I understand that the blades are kept well inside the body of the mowers to make them safe from cutting fingers, etc. For my application, though, the closer the mower can cut to a vertical wall, the better. So, to the question:
    Has anyone come across a suitable dangerous auto mower?
    or
    Has anyone modified their mower to lengthen the blades so they cut closer to the outer edge of the mower?

I only need to cut about 150 square metres.

Thanks,
    Paul.

I think the Robomow claims to cut near the edge. Look up the Robomow site, the RX Series for small lawns.
    https://www.robomow.com/en-IR/platform/rx-en-ir/ Look at RX12u.
    Agree with you Cross. Looks like a dear piece of plastic to me.

For comparison Robomow site have a price of €1,499 on the RC308
    Robot Centre have a price of €1,049.
    €450 diff.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭nailer8

John Deere Tango E5

I have decided 100% I’m going to a robotic lawnmower. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Tango.

Everyone seems to be buying Husqvarna and Robomow but I have a relationship with the local John Deere dealer and I would like to give him the business unless there is some reason the Tango won’t do the job.

Are there any of them out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Anybody here have Smartmow turned on on their Robomow? Mine is not working. It used to but doesn't any more...

• Advertisement

Got it done today. Once you know where the break is it's an easy job alright. Back up and running!

Advertisement