Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

I dropped the height of my Husky 450x to 3 in May or June in order to keep daisys and buttercups cut. Still at that level now and the grass is looking far better than it did when I used a ride-on.

Our lawn gets a lot of use with the kids playing football etc and the low height means you can get more use out of it even when it is wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,350 ✭✭✭✭Water John

May be wrong but I think most automowers are from 20 to 60mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I use level 5. A lot of lawn use for hurling, soccer etc so it needs to be well cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Is it easy enough to change boundaries if you decide to put in beds or scrubs or veg patch etc. Looking at purchasing a husky 430x.

We've a plain garden with no planting right now.

49801 wrote: »
    Is it easy enough to change boundaries if you decide to put in beds or scrubs or veg patch etc. Looking at purchasing a husky 430x.

We've a plain garden with no planting right now.

If you plan to make a lot of changes it will be a pain in the arse.

One or two beds would be ok.

• Advertisement

KCross wrote: »
    If you plan to make a lot of changes it will be a pain in the arse.

One or two beds would be ok.

Right better get cracking on a master plan so!

Right better get cracking on a master plan so!

One other option/consideration is that you dont necessarily have to wire off the beds/shrubs/trees etc.

You could also put in kerbing/ledges around the edge of whatever you are putting in. That way the mower comes up to it, hits it and turns around and carries on as normal.

The kerb just needs to be high enough for the body of the mower to hit it and be reasonably solid.

e.g. Put sleepers around the bed and make it a feature.

Any trees you plant will need to be protected until they are solid but once they are bedded in and solid you can safely let the mower hit those too without any kerbs or wiring required. It doesnt smack against them, its gentle enough.

Thanks. Gonna try at get overall plan.

Thoughts on best location of charge point?

Guy who came to survey reckons position X near house. But I was more thinking Y or Z where there is electrical point for the bio cycle already. Don’t think I am too bothered about mowing narrow strip of grass between biocycle and boundary as may put scrubs there. Another consideration is guide wire across drive for mowing in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 agentblue

Guy who came to survey reckons position X near house. But I was more thinking Y or Z where there is electrical point for the bio cycle already. Don’t think I am too bothered about mowing narrow strip of grass between biocycle and boundary as may put scrubs there. Another consideration is guide wire across drive for mowing in future.
    If you are looking at the 430x then it really isn't too critical. You can use the guide wires to ensure that you get full coverage. You might sacrifice efficiency slightly but it's a robot so it's not as if you are walking around behind it.
    I would consider shelter though. If one location offers better shelter that might be the place to go.

The transformer needs to be protected from the weather. You cant leave that lying on the ground outside and it has a short enough lead between it and the plug.

Apart from that I'd be putting the docking station in a location that I can see easily from the house.
    e.g. If the mower gets stuck or stops for whatever reason that you will spot that. It could be lying lonely for a few days if the docking station is out of sight.

Getting across a driveway is a little tricky. Is across the driveway the only way? Any other options around the back of the house?
    If you have to go across the drive you will need to make sure your kerbing has a wide enough slot/slope for it to travel off one lawn to the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

The transformer needs to be protected from the weather. You cant leave that lying on the ground outside and it has a short enough lead between it and the plug.

i picked up a dri-box off amazon to house the transformer.
    As I have an external power supply and dint want to start drilling holes.
    So far so good

Shaunoc wrote: »
    So far so good

As long as its dry and not in direct sunlight where it can overheat you should be OK.

In my experience the transformer isnt very robust. I'm on my 3rd one and I have it inside my house! :(

After the last one Husqvarna suggested installing a surge protector. I dont know if thats going to help much. I dont have any other devices around the house blowing or switches tripping but they did admit that the transformer has been known to blow. (i.e. it wasnt just me).

Someone on here contacted me directly regards the same issue as well so keeping the transformer protected (dry, cool and surge protected) is important as they are ~€200 to replace.

Maybe they have improved them.

This is what the manual says (bolding is mine)...
    The transformer must be placed where it is well ventilated and is not exposed to direct sunlight. The transformer must be placed under a roof.

It is recommended to use an earth fault-breaker when connecting the transformer to the wall socket.
    The transformer must be mounted on a vertical surface, such as a wall or a fence. Screw the transformer in place using the two mounting eyelets. No screws are supplied. Select screws suitable for the material in question.

Do not, under any circumstances, mount the transformer at a height where there is a risk it can be submerged in water (at least 30 cm from the ground). It is not permitted to place the transformer on the ground.

This is what the manual says (bolding is mine)...
    The transformer must be placed where it is well ventilated and is not exposed to direct sunlight. The transformer must be placed under a roof.

It is recommended to use an earth fault-breaker when connecting the transformer to the wall socket.
    The transformer must be mounted on a vertical surface, such as a wall or a fence. Screw the transformer in place using the two mounting eyelets. No screws are supplied. Select screws suitable for the material in question.

Do not, under any circumstances, mount the transformer at a height where there is a risk it can be submerged in water (at least 30 cm from the ground). It is not permitted to place the transformer on the ground.

the box has a roof :D
    and is at north aspect of house - out of direct sunlight
    I could look at attaching vertically to wall. but no chance of us getting submerged in water - will still raise it a touch higher.

Definitely will now get surge protection - good advice

Definitely will now get surge protection - good advice

I got one like this...
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/UK-Anti-Surge-Plug-Adaptor/dp/B000ROLJL8

I'm not recommending that specific one as I dont know if its any good or not but something along those lines.

I bought from Maplin so cant link to it now that they are gone bust, but Husqvarna said it was fine for the job.

Ive I in my mind that a little garage or kennel would be appropriate alright

Don’t strictly own a path at back to get to other side but maybe Neighbour won’t mind. Just thought ramps to get up kerbs will be required and location Y or Z more efficient to get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭padraig.od

So far so good

Can you link to the dry box you purchased?

padraig.od wrote:
    Can you link to the dry box you purchased?

Ip55 rated one on amazon. Search for dribox

Ip55 rated one on amazon. Search for dribox

Thanks. Do you put the transformer in there? If so how do you keep the it cool?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,907 ✭✭✭✭listermint

padraig.od wrote: »
    Thanks. Do you put the transformer in there? If so how do you keep the it cool?

It's outside.... It's Ireland..

• Advertisement

Were you in a coma this Summer?

padraig.od wrote: »
    Were you in a coma this Summer?

chill....:D

it's outside at the rear of house in perpetual shade
    it'll do just fine - certainly cooler than inside the house at 21 degrees
    if it cannot handle up to 30 degrees occasionally than we are all goosed.

anyway, i'm on surge protector short extension lead shopping duty today

edit, also need to put the cable from the transformer (to charger) into trunking / conduit to protect it. Its a skinny little delicate cable

chill....:D

it's outside at the rear of house in perpetual shade
    it'll do just fine - certainly cooler than inside the house at 21 degrees
    if it cannot handle up to 30 degrees occasionally than we are all goosed.

anyway, i'm on surge protector short extension lead shopping duty today

edit, also need to put the cable from the transformer (to charger) into trunking / conduit to protect it. Its a skinny little delicate cable

What size dri box are you using?

padraig.od wrote:
    What size dri box are you using?

Dri-Box FL-1859-330 IP55 Weatherproof Box, Black, Large

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Dri-Box FL-1859-330 IP55 Weatherproof Box, Black, Large

Woodies had these on sale at half price very recently, they might have some left.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭staples7

Hi All, great thread!

After reading through all 52 pages on this thread & many others forums and reviews Im still torn between the Automower 430X (Eur 2,900) and the Robomow RS625 (2,399).

I thought I might get away with the 315X (2,350) as its got all the features I want but I've been informed by my local dealer in Cork who called out that my .40 acres would be too much work in the long run. And I can understand the benefits regards cutting time and battery life etc. No slope and not a very complicated lawn (The usual flower beds & kerbing)

Im being quoted about 400 quid for installation so for the automower your up to about 3.5k already.

I do have 2010 JD 110x in good nick so hoping to get some bit of a trade in 700-800 perhaps

Im tempted to go with the Robomow and install myself would work out about 2.6K. However this doesn't have the GPS, has a clunkier APP that needs to be in Bluetooth range & overall a noiser unit. The local Robomow rep was running down the husqvarnas but thats to be expected.

Any thoughts or people that had a similar scenario? Ive ruled out all other models I think.

Thanks!

staples7 wrote: »
    Hi All, great thread!

After reading through all 52 pages on this thread & many others forums and reviews Im still torn between the Automower 430X (Eur 2,900) and the Robomow RS625 (2,399).

I thought I might get away with the 315X (2,350) as its got all the features I want but I've been informed by my local dealer in Cork who called out that my .40 acres would be too much work in the long run. And I can understand the benefits regards cutting time and battery life etc. No slope and not a very complicated lawn (The usual flower beds & kerbing)

Im being quoted about 400 quid for installation so for the automower your up to about 3.5k already.

I do have 2010 JD 110x in good nick so hoping to get some bit of a trade in 700-800 perhaps

Im tempted to go with the Robomow and install myself would work out about 2.6K. However this doesn't have the GPS, has a clunkier APP that needs to be in Bluetooth range & overall a noiser unit. The local Robomow rep was running down the husqvarnas but thats to be expected.

Any thoughts or people that had a similar scenario? Ive ruled out all other models I think.

Thanks!

Think of dealer network and support down the line. I kinda think husky are hard to beat

Im a little confused with your pricing. You say the Husq is 2900 and the Robomow is 2400 but then you say if you install the Robomow yourself its 2600... whats the extra 200 for?

If you are up for installing the Robomow yourself then no reason why you cant install the Husq yourself as well and pay just the 2900 meaning there is only 300 in the difference?

I wouldnt pay too much attention to GPS and App. Its handy but not a deal breaker. Once the mowers are setup you let them off. You dont keep "messing" with them... at least thats the goal.

As another poster said, consider service as well. Is the Robomow service centre near you?

I'm also interested in what the Robomow sales guy said to run down the Husq. What examples/reasons did he give?
    Its generally not a good sign when a saleman has to put the competition down to sell his own stuff, but anyway Im interested to hear his reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭staples7

Your correct if I installed myself I should be comparing like with like and it would be E2399 V's E2900. 500 difference. (Before price of cabling, pegs etc)

He basically advised that the blades in the Automower are dangerous and are left lying around the lawn when they come off & in turn could harm a child or pet. I took no notice as I have heard zero instances of this but he obviously uses as a sales pitch.

Also said they install Robomowers in pitches and other locations where they preform under heavy workloads.

How much are you cutting with your's KCross? Im guessing you have no regrets!

• Advertisement

He basically advised that the blades in the Automower are dangerous and are left lying around the lawn when they come off & in turn could harm a child or pet. I took no notice as I have heard zero instances of this but he obviously uses as a sales pitch.

What a load of BS.
    I have the Husq for about 4 years now(5th cutting season) and I havent had a single blade fall off. I have bent one or two but none came off.

Also said they install Robomowers in pitches and other locations where they preform under heavy workloads.

Thats simply a case of buying the right size mower for the space being cut. Husq do a bigger one that could do that too.
    How much are you cutting with your's KCross? Im guessing you have no regrets!

Mine is cutting 0.75 of an acre. The site is over an acre. I have the 330X which is the exact same as the 430X.

No regrets.

Advertisement