Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭denismc

WhichWay wrote: »
    I gave my installer access. He was great at the start he could keep an eye on it. If his wire position was wrong he would come and fix it.

OK, that makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭staples7

Finally clicked buy on the 430x on GPLShop. All going well ill be up and running mid-week depending on how fast they deliver!

Haven't measured my perimeter but taking a punt on the large installation kit. (.4/.5 acres) If I get stuck I should be able to purchase from local dealer.

i'll share my experience! :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭fanzhiyidan

What do you need in terms of electrical outlet to hook up the charging point.
    A few people mentioned just an external socket, however my external socket is nowhere near where I'd like to put the charging point.
    Is there much to installing a new outside socket?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

A few people mentioned just an external socket, however my external socket is nowhere near where I'd like to put the charging point.

The transformer needs to be protected from the elements so its not just a case of plugging it into some random outdoor socket.

I think they come with 10m of power cable from the docking station so you need to get a 3-pin socket within that distance of where you put the docking station and ideally have that socket covered or indoors would be ideal.

I got one of these from Amazon, you just have to run the cable from an indoor socket out through a wall and wire it up.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004KL0A8W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,907 ✭✭✭✭listermint

KCross wrote: »
    He most likely needs a GDPR course! :)

... Sounds like you need a course in gdrp. It's incredible people think gdpr is a one stop shop for information. It's not. That fellas actions aren't covered in gdpr

denismc wrote: »
    I got one of these from Amazon, you just have to run the cable from an indoor socket out through a wall and wire it up.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004KL0A8W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This one is built in

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Home-Kitchen/Masterplug-WP22RCD-Weatherproof-Outdoor-Latching/B006GAETZU

Much better option than having an inline controller that you have to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

listermint wrote: »
    ... Sounds like you need a course in gdrp. It's incredible people think gdpr is a one stop shop for information. It's not. That fellas actions aren't covered in gdpr

Are you a solicitor? If yes, I’ll concede.

The dealer has the login credentials for a customers product and used that data and shared it with a 3rd party showing them that customers location and address. An address/location is covered under GDPR as far as I know.

Don’t take it too seriously anyway, I said it tongue in cheek, there is no harm done.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Bungusbeefcake

Hi,

Anyone with a large amount of land got any suggestions for a mower they have?? I'm (hopefully) moving into a house soon which has about 12,000m2 and would like to see if I would be able to get away with purchasing just one.

Has anyone used their mower on a lawn larger than the recommended and if so how did it work out? I was looking at the Husqvarna 450 or 550 as they're the max coverage options I can see. Anyone have any suggestions/recommendations, please?

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Moreilly

Doubt if the 450 or 550 would do, it's well above the max they are capable of, they would probably have to run more hours than there is in a day, even using 2 of these models you would be hitting their limits

• Advertisement

Hi,

Anyone with a large amount of land got any suggestions for a mower they have?? I'm (hopefully) moving into a house soon which has about 12,000m2 and would like to see if I would be able to get away with purchasing just one.

Has anyone used their mower on a lawn larger than the recommended and if so how did it work out? I was looking at the Husqvarna 450 or 550 as they're the max coverage options I can see. Anyone have any suggestions/recommendations, please?

Thank you

Not a chance. Sounds like you need a ride on. Or multiple machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭xl500

Hi,

Thank you

http://www.softeeautomation.com/html/bigmow.htm

xl500 wrote: »

Ya I'd fancy buying something in from the states with no local service options...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,347 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If it's US how is it 230v supply? Almost 4 feet wide. Nickel batteries.
    Pitches could be interested.

Has anybody built their own automower garage? , the official ones are crazy money, was half thinking of making a cheap one out of wood, and thinking about installing a rain sensor to call the Automower back to the garage if it starts raining (although i know the mower can work in the rain, but i rather it didn't !) . the switch costs about 8 euro and the sensor about 3 euro ('ish) and use ifttt to call the automower back when triggered......
    Here is the hack for the rain sensor https://community.home-assistant.io/t/portable-rain-drop-sensor-made-with-xiaomi-door-sensor/74090

I suggest using a metal frame and Stokboard. That's a recycled plastic. A sheet is 8' by 4' and about €60. It won't rot.

Thinking of pulling the trigger on an online Husqvarna automower and doing the install myself.
    I'm just a little concerned about the warranty. The online retailer I'm looking at said that I can bring it to a local Husqvarna dealer if there is an issue, does anyone know if this is the case or would I end up having to pay shipping to get it sent to Sweden or Germany?

Thinking of pulling the trigger on an online Husqvarna automower and doing the install myself.
    I'm just a little concerned about the warranty. The online retailer I'm looking at said that I can bring it to a local Husqvarna dealer if there is an issue, does anyone know if this is the case or would I end up having to pay shipping to get it sent to Sweden or Germany?
    in the same boat myself, an online retailer said the same to me as well......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Water John wrote: »
    If it's US how is it 230v supply? Almost 4 feet wide. Nickel batteries.
    Pitches could be interested.

A lot of stuff can run on both 110 and 230v these days. Some auto switch and others need a manual switch. Guessing the charging station does the switching to whatever the mower needs.
    Laptops been doing it for years. Can't exactly pin down what tool I got lately but I remember being surprised seeing the 110-240v rating on it.

12,000 square meters is nearly 3 acres.
    You could get a local farmer to cut it and make bales!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

denismc wrote: »
    12,000 square meters is nearly 3 acres.
    You could get a local farmer to cut it and make bales!

would be nice to see 3 automowers out there at same time :pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Is it all lawn? That's bizarrely big. I have 1 acre and it's a real ball ache to cut.

I'd be inclined to get two or three automowers. If one is up on blocks for a bit the others can fill in at a pinch.
    If you've only got one and it needs servicing you're stuck.

Otherwise pay some lad to cut every week. How does the current owner look after it?

Looking for a bit of advice on what to do with high kerbs and kerbs on a slope.
    I'd like to be able to have the automower cut all the grass and not have to go around strimming edges every week or so.

On the main driveway, the kerbs are a few inches higher than the grass. I was thinking of just putting down a weed barrier for about 300mm parallel to the kerbs and putting down some decorative stone, thinking that the automower would be able to drive up on the stone and thus be able to cut the grass with now strimming required.

Then at the back of the house, there's a slight slope and the grass runs right to the kerbs. Same issue here, any tips on what to do?

By the way, excuse the mess, the garden is a work in progress

zkDh4D.jpg[img][/img]AM784T.jpg[img][/img]

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

If too close too the stone then it will get stuck on it, not worth the hassle of constantly lifting it when it does get stuck. Mine curs leaving about 9 inches border in places around the perimeter, that I cut with walk behind mower once every few weeks, takes about 10 minutes and do other bits and pieces at same time. You don't want blades hitting stones either or the will go blunt quick.

never thought of the whole blunting the blades angle....cheers. Bark mulch maybe?
    I suppose I will have to strim some areas next to fencing, swing wet etc. anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Bungusbeefcake

Roen wrote: »
    Is it all lawn? That's bizarrely big. I have 1 acre and it's a real ball ache to cut.

I'd be inclined to get two or three automowers. If one is up on blocks for a bit the others can fill in at a pinch.
    If you've only got one and it needs servicing you're stuck.

Otherwise pay some lad to cut every week. How does the current owner look after it?

Thanks for the advice, I'll have t o see. Budget would only allow me to purchase one to be honest so as great as 2 or 3 would be I just couldn't afford it.

It's not all lawn, about .75-1acre is lawn and I intend to do work the rest to make it fairly smooth lawn with a few lumps, bumps and slight hills. May be best to have a chat to a local farmer to see if they could help me out until I get it sorted, otherwise any experience with ride-on's?? I'd prefer not to be spending 3-4 hours every week or 2 during the summer taming it.

Thanks.

A few donkeys or such, low maintenance?

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭xl500

Put Electric fence around Area you want to keep as Lawn then use Automower for this area

Excess Area Let Local Farmer Graze it with Sheep if they have some or whatever

Installed the Rob1000 yesterday. Installation was easy . About 2 hours putting the cable down pegs and mallet. ran a guide wire for charging station. Installed the outdoor rcd socket from switched fused spur.

She's been out there cutting since. Weird seeing it going around the garden. But so far very satisfied with the purchase.

Just noticed it's gone back up to over 1000 euro in price. So glad I picked it up last week. For. 640. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

listermint wrote: »
    Installed the Rob1000 yesterday. Installation was easy . About 2 hours putting the cable down pegs and mallet. ran a guide wire for charging station. Installed the outdoor rcd socket from switched fused spur.

She's been out there cutting since. Weird seeing it going around the garden. But so far very satisfied with the purchase.

Just noticed it's gone back up to over 1000 euro in price. So glad I picked it up last week. For. 640. :)
    the difference in quality should become apparent soon enough
    enjoy!
    mine is outside cutting little crop circles

Advertisement