Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Fungums

Hi,

Planning on buying a ride on mower. Have about an acre of grass to cut. Budget of about 2000.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 21,347 ✭✭✭✭Water John

You can't ride on a robot mower.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Fungums

Water John wrote: »

🙈
    Sorry it’s been a long weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Moreilly

Water John wrote: »
    If she was good lookin' I'd probably chance it though.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

Moreilly wrote: »
    If she was good lookin' I'd probably chance it though.... ;)
    bit of lipstick and away ya go...

• Advertisement

Watch the blades, they're sharp and you risk per'man'ent damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Thanks for the advice, I'll have t o see. Budget would only allow me to purchase one to be honest so as great as 2 or 3 would be I just couldn't afford it.

It's not all lawn, about .75-1acre is lawn and I intend to do work the rest to make it fairly smooth lawn with a few lumps, bumps and slight hills. May be best to have a chat to a local farmer to see if they could help me out until I get it sorted, otherwise any experience with ride-on's?? I'd prefer not to be spending 3-4 hours every week or 2 during the summer taming it.

Thanks.

Well my limited experience of ride ons is inheriting a 10 year old one which is now 13 years old when I moved in here. It's a crock. Hence me going the automower route when it was time to replace.

Could you make an offer to the owner to see will he leave his one behind for a price? Worked for me. One less thing to worry about when moving and then a few years later go for the automower.

If you're getting only one I suppose get the biggest you can afford. Over sized for the current lawn.

I wouldn't be in a rush to expand the size of the lawn but that's coming from my own point of view. It depends on how you view the garden and how much spare time you have to maintain it.
    With that much space you have a huge amount of possibilities. Personally at the stage I am in my life I'd be looking at low maintenance options.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭staples7

Just spent a long 6 hours on installation. Unfortunately getting a ‘no loop’ error even though light on docking station is green. It did take off for a few minutes initially. Then got an outside cutting area error followed by no loop signal. No breaks in wire, checked multiples times. Just one connection and that’s perfect. Connectors at backing of docking station all good. Only thing I haven’t done is add the guide wires as a ran out of wire. Will pick some up tomorrow. But I don’t think that is causing the issue. Any suggestions welcome. I’ve gone through all of the help in manuals also. Total length of boundary is 400m. I do have electrical cables for garden lights running under guide wire in 3/4 places. I’ve lifting guide wire from the ground in these places just to test but no avail.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

staples7 wrote: »
    Just spent a long 6 hours on installation. Unfortunately getting a ‘no loop’ error even though light on docking station is green. It did take off for a few minutes initially. Then got an outside cutting area error followed by no loop signal. No breaks in wire, checked multiples times. Just one connection and that’s perfect. Connectors at backing of docking station all good. Only thing I haven’t done is add the guide wires as a ran out of wire. Will pick some up tomorrow. But I don’t think that is causing the issue. Any suggestions welcome. I’ve gone through all of the help in manuals also. Total length of boundary is 400m. I do have electrical cables for garden lights running under guide wire in 3/4 places. I’ve lifting guide wire from the ground in these places just to test but no avail.

It sounds like its gone into ECO mode after it went outside the cutting area. It will throw that error then.

Since the error came up have you tried putting the mower into the docking station and THEN start it as opposed to just starting it on the lawn?

A few other options but I'd try that first and let us know how that goes.

Only time I have run into a problem was when islanding a couple of small trees I accidentally had wire crossed on the return. Light was green on station at the time too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,905 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Pull out the guide wire connection at the rear and just have the loop plugged in. See what results you get then

listermint wrote: »
    Pull out the guide wire connection at the rear and just have the loop plugged in. See what results you get then

That’s the thing I don’t have the guide wire in. Must get more wire tomorrow as I was short. So maybe that’s the issue but I’d be surprised. Also I checked the eco mode as I saw it mentioned online. No dice. Also made sure that no wires are crossed. If the guide wire does not make a difference I might just have to pull it up and start fresh. If it’s electrical interference will be hard to pin point :(

*also tried manually putting at docking station and moved to main area. No luck. You really shouldn’t be able to get a no loop error with a green light. Kinda defeats the purpose of the light.

That’s the thing I don’t have the guide wire in. Must get more wire tomorrow as I was short. So maybe that’s the issue but I’d be surprised. Also I checked the eco mode as I saw it mentioned online. No dice. Also made sure that no wires are crossed. If the guide wire does not make a difference I might just have to pull it up and start fresh. If it’s electrical interference will be hard to pin point :(

*also tried manually putting at docking station and moved to main area. No luck. You really shouldn’t be able to get a no loop error with a green light. Kinda defeats the purpose of the light.

Copied and pasted form a forum on the net, might be worth a shot....

(I just bought the Automower 315 and had the same problem of a green light and no loop. I took a chance and told the unit to create a new loop. After several dire warnings, the Automower created a new Bluetooth/WiFi connection between the Automower and the Charger. ALL FIXED! Evidently, the connection between the Automower itself and the Charging Station can become disconnected. Husqvarna should document the connectivity in their install instructions. )

Copied and pasted form a forum on the net, might be worth a shot....

(I just bought the Automower 315 and had the same problem of a green light and no loop. I took a chance and told the unit to create a new loop. After several dire warnings, the Automower created a new Bluetooth/WiFi connection between the Automower and the Charger. ALL FIXED! Evidently, the connection between the Automower itself and the Charging Station can become disconnected. Husqvarna should document the connectivity in their install instructions. )

Thanks! I came across this too earlier today, tried it but it Refuses to create a new loop due to the error

Thanks! I came across this too earlier today, tried it but it Refuses to create a new loop due to the error
    replace connectors...to be sure to be sure

How about the old reliable software fix.... reboot the mower!

Failing that, when you get some new wire connect a short loop(5m's maybe) of it around the docking station and see if the mower can pick up that new loop. If it can, at least you know its a real issue with the boundary wire and not the mower or the docking station.

Shaunoc wrote: »
    replace connectors...to be sure to be sure

I'd agree with this too. I find those connectors are poor. They might look fine but the contact inside them might be poor. Worth opening the connectors and just directly connect the raw cable to the pin on the docking station as a test.

KCross wrote: »
    How about the old reliable software fix.... reboot the mower!

Failing that, when you get some new wire connect a short loop(5m's maybe) of it around the docking station and see if the mower can pick up that new loop. If it can, at least you know its a real issue with the boundary wire and not the mower or the docking station.

I'd agree with this too. I find those connectors are poor. They might look fine but the contact inside them might be poor. Worth opening the connectors and just directly connect the raw cable to the pin on the docking station as a test.

All morning again at it, pulled up all of the wire. Moved the docking station. Cut off half the garden to make a smaller loop. Made sure I avoided any light cables running underneath. Also connected a guide wire. Same issue. It sometimes will work for 5 mins followed by a ‘no loop’. Created a new signal in security settings too. Clean out of ideas now.

Don’t know if the local dealers would help me out but I’m left with no choice but to ask. Did not think it would come to that though

Very last thing is it does have an eu plug which I have directly connected into a 3 pin extension lead. Could that cause an issue?

The seemingly easier lawn on right of house, no guide wire yet, but it will take it sometimes 20 minutes to come home when called and it at times spends longer than it should in one section farthest away. I have a few more trees to plant there this week and will definitely run a guide wire to this area as the newly planted trees need islanding off. The cost is negligible as I have the wire bar spending 17 pounds on Amazon for 200 pegs and the time is my own.

got the guide wire done on that section of lawn and now mowbot is cutting more efficiently and not getting muddled around the new trees

All morning again at it, pulled up all of the wire. Moved the docking station. Cut off half the garden to make a smaller loop. Made sure I avoided any light cables running underneath. Also connected a guide wire. Same issue. It sometimes will work for 5 mins followed by a ‘no loop’. Created a new signal in security settings too. Clean out of ideas now.

And have you tried taking the connectors off the wire and connecting the raw wire to the pins on the docking station just to rule out bad connectors?

In your new smaller setup do you have any islands or is it just a simple "square"?

I presume you dont have any dog collar fence in the lawn that would interfere with the loop signal?

Very last thing is it does have an eu plug which I have directly connected into a 3 pin extension lead. Could that cause an issue?

Dont know about that one. I'd imagine its a case of it would either work or it wouldnt. Since you are saying it works for a while and then stops it seems like a connection issue.

as previous post: make the simplest loop without any breaks / islands, just to troubleshoot the unit and dock

• Advertisement

as previous post: make the simplest loop without any breaks / islands, just to troubleshoot the unit and dock

I will try a small loop, no dog collar wires etc. I do have a cattle electric wire on one boundary. I have gone as far as to move that back a few feet. It did go for 15 mins just earlier before the error. Which is the longest It’s gone. Purchased an eu adapter since also.

Rang local dealer. He said he’s in the area tomorrow and will pop by which is a relief as I thought not purchasing from them may leave me stuck.

I do have a cattle electric wire on one boundary. I have gone as far as to move that back a few feet.

That could be a problem, if its close. It will be pulsing current which the mower might be sensitive to.

Maybe turn that off for a short while and see if things improve?... keep an eye on the cows in the meantime! :)

Where is the fencer earthed if its fairly near? The other point is, any one of the insulators on it could be poor and leaking voltage or even a briar.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

Staples7 I had similar issues that turned out to be a break in the wire, easily fixed and surely you would see same. As others said, run it above ground in small boundary to see it it works, will eliminate some possible errors at least. I have a small amount of electric cattle wire up to let mower under and stop dog following, does not interfere at all and runs about one foot high, just enough to let husquarvana pass under. In saying that my dealer did say that heavy underground wire like ESB supply could interfere with boundary wires and should be at least one foot apart and if possible in ducting.

septicsac wrote: »
    Staples7 I had similar issues that turned out to be a break in the wire, easily fixed and surely you would see same. As others said, run it above ground in small boundary to see it it works, will eliminate some possible errors at least. I have a small amount of electric cattle wire up to let mower under and stop dog following, does not interfere at all and runs about one foot high, just enough to let husquarvana pass under. In saying that my dealer did say that heavy underground wire like ESB supply could interfere with boundary wires and should be at least one foot apart and if possible in ducting.

Cheers, turned off electric fensor for a few hours but no luck. Even if it was stopping in same place might point towards something. I’m 100% sure there is no break in the wire. I’m hoping the expert can solve this one tomorrow...

I didn’t try a small loop yet as I didn’t want to be cutting up the wire and re-attaching later. But If tomorrow does not work out I will.

Quick question !! - for those that have the 430x, what are the measurements on the 'ruler' on the box for the boundary wire installation ( i can only see a different model online and the ruler shows 4" 12" 14" , not sure if the 430x is the same, want to install the boundary wire :)

Quick question !! - for those that have the 430x, what are the measurements on the 'ruler' on the box for the boundary wire installation ( i can only see a different model online and the ruler shows 4" 12" 14" , not sure if the 430x is the same, want to install the boundary wire :)

I'm confused... is it that you have the wire but no mower yet and you want to confirm the distances from walls, hedges etc?

The manual on their website is probably the best reference for that... installation-->boundary wire(sec 3.5)?
    http://service.webec.husqvarna.net/documents/HUSO/HUSO2017_EUen/HUSO2017_EUen__1158758-26.pdf

I'm confused... is it that you have the wire but no mower yet and you want to confirm the distances from walls, hedges etc?

The manual on their website is probably the best reference for that... installation-->boundary wire(sec 3.5)?
    http://service.webec.husqvarna.net/documents/HUSO/HUSO2017_EUen/HUSO2017_EUen__1158758-26.pdf
    Perfect thanks !, yep that's it, i have the installation kit and am going to install today/tomorrow and have it ready for when i get the automower hopefully next week ;)

Perfect thanks !, yep that's it, i have the installation kit and am going to install today/tomorrow and have it ready for when i get the automower hopefully next week ;)

Try to avoid sharp turns.... sweeping bends as much as you can.

I'd also strim the grass along the line of the wire before you start.... it will make it easier to lay the wire and the grass will grow up over it quicker.... otherwise you will have the wire on top of the grass, holding the grass down... if you know what I mean?

• Advertisement

Try to avoid sharp turns.... sweeping bends as much as you can.

I'd also strim the grass along the line of the wire before you start.... it will make it easier to lay the wire and the grass will grow up over it quicker.... otherwise you will have the wire on top of the grass, holding the grass down... if you know what I mean?
    Thanks, Will do, i mowed the lawn yesterday and 'skint' the grass around the route ill be putting the boundary wire, hopefully all will go well, although i have a fence and the boundary wire will run parallel either side it, not sure how far apart the wire needs to be from each other so it does not ignore the wire (like the way the wiring goes out to a island), suppose i can always make some fine adjustments when i see it run !

Advertisement